Acken Challenges - #2 Rome Demigod (7)

Acken

Deity
If you have issues making this work please let me know.

Welcome to this challenge !

First to participate and share your experience you must download the mod here by simply clicking subscribe on the mod workshop page :
Workshop link.
OR download it here manually:
Dropbox

If you picked the workshop version you are set to go ! If the mod doesn't appear in the game menu, try downloading the mod manually.
To install the mod manually just pick the file above from dropbox and drop it in your mod folder. If the mod doesn't appear in the game menu, open the file as if it were a ".rar" file and extract the directory in it to your mods directory. It it still doesn't work try deleting your cache folder in the civ5 documents folder and then restart the game.

If you are using the workshop version the mod will be updated to the latest version automatically and you are good to go. However if you are using the manual version I suggest first deleting the mod from the mods directory and then download the new version.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT ONLY THE MOD IS ACTIVATED (that you do not have NQMod installed as a DLC for example). This save also uses version 7.

Sadly the mod is not compatible with the mac version of the game. You would have to emulate windows to be able to play on a mac (mac users may help you with this).

Note that the mod introduces a DemiGod difficulty between Immortal and Deity.
I have decided to move Immortal to level 6 as a result but most of the AI bonuses are the same as the base game Immortal.
This save is therefore on a difficulty between Immortal and Deity. The AI starts with one settler but 2 workers and has bonuses above Immortal.

You will play as Rome with the following bonuses compared to Vanilla:
-Rome gets a basic +10% production to buildings and an additional +15% for things already built in the capital
-The Legion is a very strong melee unit for both defense and offense.
-The forum is a special amphitheater giving extra GPP.

Starting area:
Spoiler :

Settings:
Spoiler :
-AMB Pangea
-Many normal islands
-Strategic Balance

There are no particular way of winning that challenge. Just win it and share your thoughts and strategies.

The mod change list is a bit long but here are a few pointers to remember when starting the game:
Spoiler :

-The AI is mean. Really, be on your guard and ready to battle your neighbours. They will desire your land. Regardless of your size.
-The AI is a good techer and can run away pretty hard if left unchecked. Be wary of letting AIs eat other AIs.
-Units are necessary to defend (cities are weak !) and melee units are necessary for attacks and defense. An undefended or barely defended city will fall !
-Expanding and conquering is less punishing and even often time required
-The late game is slowed down a lot and in general science is somewhat slower. It's likely you'll need hospital and centers if you aim for a late science victory.
-Expanding or conquering can also help.
-International routes are really good AND do not get deleted when declared on.
-Strategics go for 1gpt or 30gold
-Settling on flat gives the same yield as settling on a hill (2F 2H).
-All great person are on different counters but cost a bit more to make. Scientists and writers are fixed value on birth. Great works give more culture.
-Overall it's very likely that you will have a lot more policies so feel free to mix trees together.
-Many many small changes.

For a more detailed list go there:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14107218&postcount=736

Hints for the map/civ :
Spoiler :

-Seriously consider a Legion rush. Honor can help you there.
-The start is gold starved because of the salt luxury. If you plan on upgrades, it can be a very good idea to invest into early trade routes.
-If you find yourself behind in techs, consider making the Intelligence Agency for an extra spy and free level up. Spies are very good in the mod to catch up to tech leaders.

And most of all : good luck and have fun.

You'll find the save game below.

Attachments

• AMB Challenge #2 Rome 7.Civ5Save
    530.1 KB · Views: 394
this game won't work for me for some reason; i downloaded the save but when i try to play it it tells me i don't have the required DLC, despite having v7 enabled

yup it's fixed, thanks acken. religions really vanished in a flash this game, playing with faith is hard

okay started this game and it's really a lot harder than previous one ...
rome is super strong in your mod and i think we'll need this op start and civ here.

you'r change to warrior code is pretty good, i wanted to tell you that's a bit overtuned and should reconsider it because getting an upgrade + warrior code with alex or persia, was just stupid, i took a turn 33 capital in a demigod game cause of this.

Spoiler :
i did a tradition/piety mix here (2 in piety for the faith and culture) and settled 4 cities and got NC turn 80ish, stole workers from persia and settled near him trying to avoid bad diplo with bishmark.
though it worked pretty well, bish became my friend, we attacked persia together.
and badaboum, they make peace, and my friend backstab me ... god thx legions are ready to defend the lands, and i'll settle a 5th city near the dye and gems because i dont care about german diplomacy now ...

fun facts in this game:
T28 first religion ...
T48 oracle ... seriously, how is it even possible?

I finished this game before posting it and got a T236 domination victory. I recorded it and will probably comment it in the future. Consentient will probably be happy that this is a warring game from start to finish.

Couple details :
Spoiler :

-Went Honor into right Liberty into Commerce into a bit of Rationalism (probably could have finished Comerce instead or focus more on culture).
-Legion rushed Darius around T65 made peace and then finished him with LongSwords.
-Germany DoWed me but with Longswords that ended up getting March promotion I beat him and got cities in a deal. Askia helped me beat him up.
Egypt, Askia and China were friendly for the first half of the game due to me denouncing their enemies and fighting with them in wars.
-Byzantium was the tech leader and allowed us to keep the tech pace through spying.
-Captured a few Byzantium cities with muskets and then went on a full war against Askia. We reached Flight approximately at the same time but human have a definitive advantage here and I was able to win that war.
-China ate Egypt and once Askia was out I conquered both China and Byzantium
-China became the tech leader in the end and was able to throw a couple nuked on me before I got the victory.

End screenshot :
Spoiler :

Indeed I am very happy with this map. It could be the best CFC map ever, actually.

Strong start, I'm on T80 something and already have 2 capitals. Legion rush is seriously powerful.

Used Liberty finisher for GG to bomb into Northern neighbor's territory, thus stealing his Iron and giving my troops a great place to assault from and heal.

One thing I noticed so far: the 'other' Liberty finisher (the passive effect) seems a bit strong. I mean, on T79, I had 7 cities and NC was still only going to take 10 turns to hard build, in a less than 10 sized capital that had been pumping units and Wonders. I think this could do with being nerfed 30-40%.

The bit you added to Liberty finisher so that National Wonders get a discount. I think that if I start building NC on T79 in a not that great capital whose empire has 7 total cities, it ought to take longer than 10 turns. Thats all I was saying. Otherwise it seems like Wide play has yet one more benefit :)

Spoiler :
here is my game on T110, really dont know what to expect in the future, if i cant pick up the culture wonders it's prob going to be hard.
another fun fact : china got 26 cities converted at this state of the game xD well she's giving mosques + pagodas sacred sites to everyone so it's fine for me :p the 2 points in piety are pretty worth it, allready have 5 faith buildings thanks to her.
first time i'm going with 2 post NC settle in your mod with a tradition game.

hope i'll be abble to catch up but AI are hard to bribe in your mod, did you change anything about it?

well even friendly AI that hate the target i want to bribe him against want 3 luxury here, that's a bit expensive.

T114

I feel like I have seized control of the game, but I'm also worried that the AIs at the edge may runaway and be a huge pain by the time I get to them. Although I'm doing well-ish, I'm still not sure exactly how best to manoeuver the troops in this mod. To compensate, I have built a LOT of them. Comfortably the biggest army.

I'd like to compare benchmarks with others. I got Steel at T104, Education T117.

Really fun game. Hope I manage to do the midgame properly.

Attachments

• 20160628193139_1.jpg
    20160628193139_1.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 446
well we got edu allmost at the same turn, but i picked guild and not steel, wanted to pick machupichu with my GE to fix a bit the gold.
but i'm not playing a domination game here, hope i wont die because AI refuses to make peace, if they declare war they'll stay at war if you dont build 500 units, even after getting raped and having a city threaten.
he prob have a huge army in the other side of his empire but it is a bit annoying.

Tried the honor legion rush, but as I was taking the northern neighbor capital (with ToA and HG!), the eastern neighbor backstabbed me and took a city from me, so things are going to be hard I will probably restart.

The change to warrior code makes tributing in the early game impossible right?

Acken I would love to watch your LP, as without help this game is probably out of my league :(

And please keep posting immortal games for us poor sub-tier players!

T133 - Very Challenging!

Spoiler :
I went full liberty, then left side honor. Maybe should have tried honor first. I tried to get to Legions quickly- first teching luxuries, then writing, then iron working. But I got there fairly late, still. Darius DOWd me a couple turns before I was about to DOW him, so fair enough. I razed a city he built between me and Persepolis easily enough, but it was a quite a struggle to take Persepolis, even with Legions and composites. I lost several Legions, but I finally took Persepolis on T105, along with Parthenon and GLib.

By then I was friends with China and Egypt, and everyone hated Germany, so I asked both China and Egypt to DOW Germany with me. They both agreed to do so in 10 turns. 9 turns later Egypt backstabbed China (!!!), but on turn 10 we all joined to dow Germany, who had been at war with Songhai and Byzantines for some time.

I just razed the first German city, and hope to take Berlin, but he is making me pay for it. Lost 2 longswords capturing the first city. I don't lose units very often in the base game, but I don't know how to avoid losses in this mod.

It's been tough, but I think I am still in the game. May try for a DomV, as I have never done that with this mod, and have never done it on diety (even though this is officially 'demi-god'.

Spoiler :

Yeah Puhi I'm beginning to think that losing units is not only unavoidable but maybe even optimal, since if it allows you to capture the cities quicker, it might be best for this mod as you need to capture quickly before they can spam even more units than in the basegame, and also they tech a lot quicker.

I lost a few units fighting the E neighbour as well.

Quick update for my game: I loaded the save just to look at it so I could think about my strategy while at work, and saw a Tercio :(

I guess I need to push towards Cannons, fast

Top Bottom