Fighting Ideology Pressure

City Connections (roads) with high population cities, for one. A city of 10 population (1 gpt per citizen) plus a capital of 18 (1 gpt per six citizens) yields 13 gpt from the city connection.

Selling luxuries/strategics is also valuable -- 2 gpt for strategics (sell individually) and 7 gpt for extra luxuries.

It has to do with being able to see the influence of your tourism over every other civ's culture and the influence of the other civs' tourism over your culture. Does that ring a bell? Will make a quick video about that if not, easier to show than tell.

I didn't finish the game, played out maybe 20-30 turns? Was about to start conquering the southeastern cities while fending off enemies from threeish directions if I recall correctly. Had to reroute units and all.

Speaking of units -- more Rocket Artillery, more Mobile SAMs, less everything else. You can literally win with just those two units (though adding on some Bombers/Fighters for aerial support is helpful).

Optimization/decision making wise...DON'T...SPLIT...YOUR...GUILDS. Stuff like Hermitage and National Epic means you want to have them all in one city. For Tradition that's usually the capital but you COULD plop them all in a secondary city if you really wanted (if that secondary city will be your "culture" city while the capital focuses on units or something -- though usually I'd do the reverse and have a secondary city with really good production to build units).

Thanks for all of this! I am definitely able to read the culture vs tourism screen.

I've never really fought a war in the modern era (the infantry all came from the freedom policy that gives 6 foreign legionnaires). It makes sense that you would only need rocket artillery and mobile SAMs though, I will focus on those in the future. On the subject of warfare, do you actually want to be conquering cities in this position? It seems like that would put even more pressure on the unhappiness. What were you going to do with the Russian cities you took?

I'll focus in putting guilds in the capital. I honestly have just been ignoring them for the most part, so I'll make sure to give them the focus they deserve in future games.

Thanks!

On the subject of warfare, do you actually want to be conquering cities in this position? It seems like that would put even more pressure on the unhappiness. What were you going to do with the Russian cities you took?

Hey, YOU started the war! I just inherited it!

In all seriousness, remember that total culture and total tourism are what count. So getting extra culture and extra tourism from conquered cities will help negate the pressure from other civilizations.

Alternatively you can eliminate the civ that is outputting all the tourism. If you conquer every cities of that civ, you will no longer suffer from their pressure and likely you will start exerting significant pressure on other civs once the cities ended resistance. It is difficult to do if the civ has high expansion favor but easy if it's something like Brazil or India.

Alternatively, you can burn your writers and artists to get through patronage quicker (up to consulates and philanthropy). Set trade routes to international cities for gold, get many city-state allies, be one of the first, if not the first, to get your ideology, set world ideology to yours (other civs won't get angry at your world congress selection if you're the only one with an ideology by the time you choose it) and never have ideological pressure for the rest of the game. You won't need great work of arts or have the need to deviate in social policy choices to recoup your happiness.

Top Bottom