Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Because of corruption. Remember that despotism has a production penalty on tiles producing more than 2 of anything.

It's also presumably to give the biggest penalty for whip-cracking, at least to anyone not willing to do a little extra management.

Yeap, you can still relocate the workers manually. Check how much of a benefit you actually do gain, though.

but it doesn't just happen in Despotism. It happens all through the game; when you build a settler or a worker for instance the same effect is seen.

but it doesn't just happen in Despotism. It happens all through the game; when you build a settler or a worker for instance the same effect is seen.
Do you use the city-governors?

The game is certainly programmed to rearrange citizens on town growth/ shrinkage, so as to make at least 2 FPT surplus (if possible). But only once that +2FPT condition is satisfied will it take the Gov-settings into consideration: I guess this is to make sure that the AI's Governators (which are permanently set, via the Editor, for each AI-civ) don't fall into a boom/bust cycle of growth then starvation. For the human though, (I get the strong impression that) the Gov-settings really only serve as a sort of tie-breaker:
  • e.g.1 if you'd hit Pop6 but hadn't built a 'Duct yet, so you were working shield-rich tiles at 0 FPT net, but then shrank the town by building a Worker/Settler, or whipping, some/all of your citizens would automatically get rearranged to get back to 2FPT, regardless of what else they'd previously been harvesting.
  • e.g.2 if you have 'Emphasise Production' switched on, but are only making +1FPT, on pop-growth the game will tend to send the new citizen to a +3FPT tile if it can, even if that tile gives no extra SPT at all (e.g. irrigated Floodplain under Despotism)
  • e.g.3 if you had 'Food' and 'Commerce' emphasised, but not 'Production', the game might well 'always' choose to work a 3FPT, 3CPT, 0SPT tile over a 2FPT, 2SPT, 2SPT tile; though the 2 tiles have the same 'power' (total output = 6), and even though the latter is potentially more useful to a human who wants to build stuff (using the magic IBT-shields!), the former is the one which abides by the Governator settings...
The third example may be the crux: I think the human-player Gov-settings might be preserved from game to game in the .ini file. So is it possible that you changed them for a game a long time ago, but never changed them back...?

Uh oH...

I just won a cultural victory on a small map at 73,000+ culture points.

I have been having troubles with the game for a bit but I'm guessing that is a point of no return.:cry:

oh yeah - my question... can anything be done and can I defrag the disk?

I don't quite understand your post…

I don't quite understand your post…

In order to win a Cultural Victory on a small map you need 80,000 points. I'm just wondering if my game is toast or if there is something I can do to jag it back in shape?

I am going to go to try a defrag just to see if I can

No, no, don't try a defrag. Lemme think.

IIRC you can win without reaching the absolute limit. See if one of your cities hasn't exceded the city limit for cultural victories. It's usually your captial.

Sorry about not being able to check, but Civ3 doesn't run on this rig.

In order to win a Cultural Victory on a small map you need 80,000 points. I'm just wondering if my game is toast or if there is something I can do to jag it back in shape?

I am going to go to try a defrag just to see if I can

I am not at all an expert, but that does not sound like something that would be caused by a defrag. Also do check you need to defrag before you do it, I thought it was pretty built in to modern OS's and the download ones were generally malware. I did mention that I am NOT an expert.

Are you sure that there is not a correct reason for the lower limit (I cannot remember at all), or that you have not edited some file in your setup to make this change?

[EDIT] X-Post

I am not at all an expert, but that does not sound like something that would be caused by a defrag. Also do check you need to defrag before you do it, I thought it was pretty built in to modern OS's and the download ones were generally malware. I did mention that I am NOT an expert.

Are you sure that there is not a correct reason for the lower limit (I cannot remember at all), or that you have not edited some file in your setup to make this change?

[EDIT] X-Post

My defraggler is very good but it does not offer the chance to defrag my D drive.

I have not adjusted the files in any way for this change. I almost always play the Byzantines for a cultural Victory - I'm trying for the 'best' win. So every game I have played for months was about getting those 80,000 points.

On a small map, it is almost impossible to have the Capital make 20,000 points before you get the 80,000 overall. the last time I tried for the 20 I had to play a large map.

Did your capital get to those 20k or not?

Did your capital get to those 20k or not?

:blush: you were correct. I had 19,890 and on the IBT it would have gained 136 points.

I have never, ever gotten close to 20,000 points per capital on a small map. I didn't even look at that.

thank you for insisting. I would really hate to lose my game at this point.

You didn't lose… you won. :)
Are you sure you've never gotten your capital to 20,000? Not even with Babylon?

You didn't lose… you won. :)
Are you sure you've never gotten your capital to 20,000? Not even with Babylon?

By lose the game I meant my Civ!!! disks.

and no, I have never won a 20K on a small map before and only got it once.

I spent 2 weeks trying to get it and as I said I had to go to a large map to avoid the overall culture points.

I'm curious as to why you two legendary players/posters are posting again. Any relation to Civ VI approaching?

Who do you mean?

There are quite a few people here who still play :civ3:.

I'm a Civ IV BTS 'fan',but still playing Civ II GOTM's...I have Chronicles,Civ I-IV+Civ IV Complete DVD,and trying curious for the second time Civ III Conquests because a friend don't like Civ IV,just Civ III,was a nice surprise,is a good game.But I wasted more hours searching a way to see entire map like in Civ II(Cheat Mode) or Civ IV(Ctr W,editor),I tried to find cheat codes in Google,YouTube and installing programs like Civ3MultiTool by Gramphos,Civ III PowerBar Trainer by Crsadrjoe,etc nothing,errors,errors..
I have Civ III C v.1.22,using Windows 7 and XP SP3,2 partitions for operating systems.
A solution ? Thanks.

Top Bottom