Civ5 using DX11 Graphics: The way it's meant to be played!

I'm using ATI, I'll have to check but I'm not sure. In any case, I hope that there's a way to set it to force AA only for certain games. Like "force AA when I boot civ5.exe" or something like that.

I'm not sure about ATI, but that's exactly how it is in Nvidia's control panel. You select .exe of the game and change the settings by game. There are global options, but obviously you already figured out why that would be a bad idea.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

Attachments

• nvcpl.png
    nvcpl.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 454
I'm using ATI, I'll have to check but I'm not sure. In any case, I hope that there's a way to set it to force AA only for certain games. Like "force AA when I boot civ5.exe" or something like that.

well, with the latest Catalyst Control Center you got the option of 'profiles' too...

Just create your new profile using AA or whatever you need and your set to go ...

and, why is this thread all about Nvidia cards (yah, the reviewer is paid for this i know) ... ATI, imho, has the better cards for even less bucks ... so ... ah, whatever ... forget that!

P.S.: screw companies that get sponsored by any GFX producing company ... you wont see the difference in the end (just my 2 cent)

ATI, imho, has the better cards for even less bucks ... so ... ah, whatever ... forget that!

Not true at all anymore. GTX 450 is Cheaper than a 5770, and is completely capable of running Civ V, plus it has better DX11 performance.

GTX 460 768 Mb is the same price as a 5770 and vastly better.

GTX 460 1 Gb is significantly cheaper than a 5850, yet still has great performance for absolutely anything, ot forgetting vastly better DX11 performance.

GTX 460 SLI is over £100 cheaper than a 5970, and performs the same if not better because SLI scaling is much better than crossfire is.

However, all of that is likely going to be very temporary until the next ATI range is released in a couple of months.

you wont see the difference in the end (just my 2 cent)

I definitely saw a huge improvement going from 2x 5770 to 2x GTX 460, especially so in tessellation benchmarks (yes, games are now going to start using tessellation). Although I've used ATI since the HD 3800 range due to them having better prices and having only had crossfire support back then on Intel motherboards, right now ATI pricing is most definitely very greedy on the 5850+. The 5800 / 5900 cards are ot worth the price. The 5770 still remains good, however it is rubbish against a GTX 460 768 Mb which can be had for the same price.

well, with the latest Catalyst Control Center you got the option of 'profiles' too...

Just create your new profile using AA or whatever you need and your set to go ...

Profiles doesn't work. It still means I have to activate my profile every time I wanna play Civ V. Basically, I have to do something every time I want to booth Civ V with some AA. It doesn't seem to be the case with NVIDIA, since you can tell it to use AA whenever your boot a game like Civ, and then it deactivates itself when you quit.

Yeah bla bla it's just one click, but I forget all the time.

Hi to all.(my 1st post here)

Most of here was talking about dx9 or dx10/11. that is why i watch this topic, but...i have the same problem with loading textures on Dx9, every time i select an unit, my camera scroll fast to that, but I must wait 1 or 2 seconds to "reload" textuers of terrain. I have only 256 MB graphic card in my NB (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series).
Civ 5 (demo) runs quick on low/mid settings, so I decided to pre-order full game (must wait 2 days - Slovakia). I hope that the updates or full release will remove red artefacts, and maybe some other graphic issues.
Or....god bless Blue marble creators :)

(and sorry my english, not my speaking language)

what i'm wondering is this: i have a dx10 card, but am currently running windows xp (iMac with bootcamp and xp was the cheapest OS so let's not get into it). would upgrading to windows 7 be worth it? seeing as i still would be stuck with dx10. really all i'm looking for is what the framerate would be. i'm guessing there'd be some graphical improvements, but it'd really suck to spend the money to upgrade, only to have the framerate drop.

What is your card, fluffsuit ? the graphics are much better in dx10 and only a slight framerate drop . The major drop comes with dx11 where there is tesselation that requires a lot of processing power

ati 2400 hd, 256MB. its apparently below the minimum requirements for the game and yet the game runs smooth as butter.

Would buying that card from Nvidia add the deluxe content to a copy of the standard game I already purchased or would I need to get the video card first and then buy the deluxe edition? I'm on an 8600GT so a new card wouldn't exactly hurt.

ati 2400 hd, 256MB. its apparently below the minimum requirements for the game and yet the game runs smooth as butter.

The thing is DX10 isn't enough to run this game in DX10/11. There isn't a DX10 only option, it uses BOTH DX10 and DX11 together. So if your card has no DX11 support, even if it's DX10, there is no reason to run it DX10/11 because the game will run like crap.

The thing is DX10 isn't enough to run this game in DX10/11. There isn't a DX10 only option, it uses BOTH DX10 and DX11 together. So if your card has no DX11 support, even if it's DX10, there is no reason to run it DX10/11 because the game will run like crap.

That's nonsense :rolleyes:
It runs BETTER in DX11 mode than in DX9 mode on my DX10 GTX260 :lol:

That's nonsense :rolleyes:
It runs BETTER in DX11 mode than in DX9 mode on my DX10 GTX260 :lol:

Not sure if you mean it's nonsense that it runs poorly, or that the game doesn't run in DX10 without DX11? There is no DX10 only mode.

The game runs like utter crap on my 275GTX in DX10/DX11 mode, and I feel like it's a common issue for most people with DX10 cards from what I've seen on various boards. Runs at 60FPS at max with force 8x AA in DX9.

I can run mine easily in DX10/11 mode with 4AA and everything set to high with my DX10 card (HD4770) with no performance issues.

I was referring to that sentence:

So if your card has no DX11 support, even if it's DX10, there is no reason to run it DX10/11 because the game will run like crap.

which is certainly not applicable in my case.

I drop just below 20 fps when scrolling zoomed out on a busy map. Zoomed in consistently >30fps, on max settings. Could be better, but certainly not "crap" :confused:

I guess crap is subjective then :p

I'd rather run at 60FPS and take a barely noticeable loss in Graphics than play around 25-30FPS. Lag kills my desire to play games.

Honestly, after switching back and forth between the two versions, DX9 actually looks BETTER to me than DX11. The menus also respond a lot more smoothly. It probably has something to do with not having DX11 and the way it works with AA, but the in game AA is garbage in DX11 compared with the forced AA in DX9.

I guess crap is subjective then :p

I'd rather run at 60FPS and take a barely noticeable loss in Graphics than play around 25-30FPS. Lag kills my desire to play games.

I'm like that in FPS and RTSes, too, but TBS? No problem with a bit of lag :)

And I still have the nagging suspicion that it's the CPU that's responsible for the lag. Do you have a fast quad-core?

Civilization 5 ships with two versions: a DX9 version, and a DX11 version. In this review here, I will endeavor to show you the differences between the two; but first a word on availability:

In order to play the directx 11 version, you need to have both a video card that supports DX11 (ATI Radeon 5XXX or higher, or NVIDIA GeForce 4XX or higher), and an operating system that supports DX11 as well: Windows 7, or Vista (SP2).

Does the purchase of the game on disks come with both the DX9 and DX11 versions and you just pick which one to install/play?

What exactly is the CivV upgrade to "Digital Deluxe Version" that is being offered? Is this just added downloadable content to the game, or is it something related to graphics and playing the DX11 version?

I don't get it.

Does the purchase of the game on disks come with both the DX9 and DX11 versions and you just pick which one to install/play?

What exactly is the CivV upgrade to "Digital Deluxe Version" that is being offered? Is this just added downloadable content to the game, or is it something related to graphics and playing the DX11 version?

I don't get it.

1. It has a DX9 version which has all of the DX10/11 code shut off. My computer won't run the DX11 version, crashes to the desktop when I start it. Runs the DX9 version like a charm.

2. Digital Deluxe is the Babylon DLC and some other stuff - music, that kind of thing. Babylon was the first Civ I won with, so I feel I got my money's worth.

I'm like that in FPS and RTSes, too, but TBS? No problem with a bit of lag :)

And I still have the nagging suspicion that it's the CPU that's responsible for the lag. Do you have a fast quad-core?

Obviously sitting at max frame rate isn't going to give me any advantages in civ compared to an fps or rts, but I really like everything to move fluidly. When things start to stutter even a little bit I start to get distracted.

I have a slightly overclocked amd phenom ii x4 955 at 3.62ghz. I think that's about nearly as fast as amd quad cores get. I played in dx11 for a bit tonight, and I honestly think dx9 looks and feels a lot better. I don't know if something is messed up with my drivers, my direct x, or my game install. Maybe its just time to invest in that new ati card I've been eyeing.

Top Bottom