Manual install of BUG for Steam

angryvark

Chieftain
I did search and Steam comes up here and there but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

I need to copy the files manually as I am running Steam (Windows version) via Crossover on Linux. The installer doesn't work.

The folder for BTS Mods is located here:
~/.cxoffice/Steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Mods/

Under there, I wanted to place the a dir called "BUG Mod", but when I unpack the SVN the contents already contains a "BUG Mod" dir and a "CustomAssets" and "PublicMaps".

I'm pretty sure the CustomAssets and PublicMaps need to go somewhere else but I'm not sure where that is.

But no matter what I place in the Mods dir above, BUG doesn't appear as a mod in the game.

Thanks for any assistance!

I don't use Steam, so I don't know if these instructions will work but you can probably make a few obvious changes to get it to work. This is the manual install instructions that came with earlier versions of BUG. I used them for BUG 4.4 and they still work fine. However, keep in mind that these are the install instructions for the disc based CIV. You will have to adjust them for Steam based CIV.

(strings of dots, ie ".","..", etc. were added by me to force subfolder indents since CFC deletes leading spaces)
(Where it refers to the "folder that contains this README", that is the top folder that comes out of the packed file, called BUG Mod.)
Contents of install README file follows:

README for BUG
==============

1. Introduction
2. Installation
3. Configuration
4. Troubleshooting

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. INTRODUCTION

BUG is an unaltered-gameplay mod for Civ4:BTS. This readme covers how to install BUG manually, but we recommend that you use the installer when you can.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. INSTALLATION

WARNING: You should never modify or replace the original BTS Assets files.

To install BUG as a mod so that you must load it to play, place the folder that contains this README file into your BTS's Mods folder.

C:\Program Files
…..Sid Meier's Civilization 4
……...Beyond the Sword
…...….Mods
…….....BUG Mod

To install BUG so that it is always active with your games (this will allow you to use it with succession games and games you open from the CivFanatics forum), you must first copy the files and folders from the Assets folder into your CustomAssets folder. Next create a "BUG Mod" folder next to CustomAssets and copy the Info and UserSettings folders into it. Finally, copy the files inside PrivateMaps into BTS's PublicMaps folder.

At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

C:\Documents and Settings
<your user name>
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.My Documents
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;...My Games
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;Beyond the Sword
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.BUG Mod <-- create this folder
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;...Info <-- copy these two folders here
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;UserSettings <-- copy these two folders here
&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here

3. CONFIGURATION

Once you start a game with BUG you can customize how BUG looks by hitting ALT + CTRL + O to get to the BUG Options screen. It has many tabs to organize the settings, and they are all written to INI files inside the UserSettings folder. You can also change them in these files, but this is only necessary for a handful of options.

4. TROUBLESHOOTING

If you are having any trouble getting BUG to work, start with our Troubleshooting wiki page:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/civ4bug/index.php?title=Troubleshooting

Post the information that page asks for to the Questions thread at our forum:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=242396

If you find a feature or option that doesn't work properly, please post to our Bug Reporting thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=241796

Awesome! Got it working now.

The problem was the SVN file I downloaded. It isn't complete. I downloaded the regular zip file and followed the readme.

Another thing is that MODS don't go under program files but under the users directory. For those running Steam for Windows under Linux with wine or Crossover, this directory is:

~/.cxoffice/Steam/drive_c/users/crossover/My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/MODS/

What is not working yet is if I try the MOD installed permanently as explained under 2.2. CUSTOM ASSETS. When I start Civ4 I get "Failed initializing python" and the game closes.

Any idead why that is?

Thanks!

PS. It looks like its case sensitive, the mod dirs start with capitals while the original dirs don't. Trying to fix it now ...

Well its indeed the issue of the filesystem being case sensitive. I'm working on fixing it with a fat32 mounted filesystem, but there's another issue with that. Fat32 doesn't support symlinks and the Crossover directory has plenty of those, pointing to different paths on the filesystem.

I'm working on only redirecting certain paths like 'users' directory where the mods are installed. Will post when it works, maybe that helps someone else running into a similar issue.

Top Bottom