Road to War - Historical

I have extensively modified the difficulty levels in RTW 1.04 so Deity level is significantly different. Good luck with the game.

In my new version 2.x, I am unlikely to create the Vichy event. It only existed for 2 years and during that time it was effectively a puppet of Germany anyhow. As to RtW, its impact on the game overall is minimal anyhow.

i have a version of 416 mb downloaded months ago
which version is it?

i can't test it now cause i don't have civ4 installed

I really love this mod, played it a lot, though mostly until I pretty much hit a dead end ;)
I don't think I used the latest version though, so some minor things I noticed may already be different in the latest version. I think it's 1.04, either with or without the update. It's the one before the US get the technology for transporters right from the get go.

It's great to see such an attention to detail, that's what really immerges you into a mod. I've always been interested in the whole history of the world wars, especially the battles and technology, so this is a great fit. It's also nice to see that there aren't really any stacks of doom running around.

On to some minor nitpicking ;)
In my first game, I had pretty taken over Europe, but there were certain things I couldn't get done. I was in 1945 and still at least 10 years removed from getting transporters. This was the dead end I mentioned. I had taken over Britain by using paratroopers and air-lifting units afterwards. I could have taken over Northern Ireland after rebuilding Britain, but that would have been the end of it. I couldn't take over the one Greece island, because there was no place to land any units by air. I couldn't take over Cyprus, because it was out of reach of my paratroopers, and I couldn't take the one Russian island in the north, because again it was out of reach, not to mention full with stronger Russian units so I couldn't have taken it even if it was in reach of my units. Doesn't really hurt the game, because at that point a whole lot of rounds have been played, but I thought I would mention it.

One thing that confused me a bit was that both Greece and Russia got new planes even though they didn't have any production cities.

Another thing that was a bit odd has to do with the bombing of cities. I noticed it when I tried some things while playing both sides. I think that's an issue that happened in other mods that included this advanced bombing as well. I used the British bombers to destroy production facilities and other stuff. As German player I could go and rebuild these buildings, but once they were finished, I still could rebuild them. It's as if the city didn't do anything. Not only that, but the German cities could still build units that required the production buildings that weren't supposed to exist anymore.

In the same game, I had some units disappear after opportunity fire. It didn't happen in my earlier single players games, just in this one hotseat game. Both the 6th SS-Panzerarmee and Rommel died through opportunity fire but weren't rebuild afterwards. Both still had their two additional lives left before they died. What I did notice was that the report of their death was different. Normally when a unit died and was reborn, there were two lines of the news that the unit had died, but in these cases there were three.

Culture for Vichy France was a bit of a pain. You had Britain take parts of northern France, Spain engulfing the South, and the colonies were in bad shape as well. Switzerland is hurting Germany and mostly Italy as well.

On another note, atomicgamer seemed really really slow, I downloaded with something like 10-20 kb/s. It took me three attempts to get through with it. Other sites go above 1 mb/s, so it's not just my connection. ;)

I see you are thinking about making divisions the biggest units again for the next version. While I do like all these Army Groups, Fronts and Armies, they are kind of "doppelt gemoppelt" to use a German expression ;)
After all, the armies were part of the army groups, the corps were part of the armies, etc. So having the 6th Army and the Army Group South running around at the same time seems kind of redundant.

One thing I wondered about, there is this one civ 5 ww2 mod that uses reinforcements and convoys. Would it be possible to implement something like that in civ 4, or would it not be worth the trouble?
Having convoys would really help out with the sea-side of the game, which is kind of useless right now unless you use huge flotillas for opportunity fire. A pity that civ 4 is so weak when it comes to sea units, one of the few real weaknesses of this game. I do like all the ships of this mod, it's a shame that the game prevents them from reaching their full potential.

Another minor point about ships, I do think that there are a few too many occasions where you take over the ship you attack. Having mostly sinking or escaping would seem to be the better option to me.

Can't wait to see the next version. Hopefully at some point it will also have a European map in addition to the world map, I always prefer the more detailed maps. GEMs are fine, but Europe is still so small on those, even enlarged.

Thanks for your feedback. It took a lot of effort to get it right historically. Many of the things you have discovered I have as well. I do recommend you download 1.04a Scenario, its only a small download and corrects the US transports issue.

As I mentioned in my Historical 2 introduction, I was going to try to fix a lot of errors, but it became a feature pack instead. I then realised that I was not following this philosophy;
"A designer knows he has reached perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away".
Therefore, I am being extra careful with Historical 2, to not put too much effort into adding stuff that is not really necessary. Too many mods here on Civfanatics have too much stuff added, some with 100's of new techs, unit classes, and new building classes. This was one of the reasons I gave serious consideration to GEM, as it uses standard Civ 4 techs, buildings, etc. My focus this time round will be lots of unique units, to add flavour, but not complications.

Follow my development on Facebook

For some odd reason I already had downloaded 1.04a back then but didn't put it into the folder. Now off to try it ;)

True, too much new stuff can make things a bit messy. It's better to have a detailed version that works well than to get lost in a lot of stuff that might not work as well as necessary.

One small text issue: the unit class for the German army groups is called German Armee Gruppe, the more common term would be Heeresgruppe.

Kiwitt could you please add another download link because atomic gamer is super slow 1-2 hour download for something that should take like 15 min.

Hello to everyone.

For some reason, when I start to play as 3-d Reich, I automatically got "you have been defeated" even before the game took place.

How to fix it?

Ok, I got it - when you try to play "custom scenario" this error appears.

in normal scenario it doesn't appear.

Make a better Canada!

1. Canada doesn't help allies. In World War II, Canadians played a significant role in the conflict.
2. Flag is wrong!!! Its supposed to be Red Esign
3. Ottawa is mispelled as Ottowa
4. Lack of Leaderhead?
5. Instead of obvious Canadian cities like Toronto and Quebec, there is Thunder Bay?

Play 'Hot Seat Mode' and control Canada yourself as recommended in the first post.

I must say I am enjoying playing this mod again, even if I say so myself. I am noticing a few map and tech changes that still need to be made.

Hey, Kiwitt. Once I get my computer up and running again soon I am looking to reinstall Civ 4 just to play this mod. I did enjoy the original RTW but honestly prefer your version. I just want to make sure I download the correct and most up-to-date version since there have been a few RTW threads and I'm a stranger in Civ4 C&C land. :) Is this link the correct one? And is the 1.04a Scenario an add-on to the main file that should be used when playing a normal game of RTW? Thanks.

Yes. 1.04a

Also please install Civ IV as per my thread in my sig to ensure it plays.

Hi,

I installed Civ 4 the way suggested in your post. However I cannot get this mod to work. Whatever way I try to load it, Civilization IV will just refuse to load and come up with endless XML load errors.

I am on Windows 7. Any solutions?

Thank you.

Can you play other mods, you have downloaded?

I am playing on Beyond the Sword yes. Is there any reason for this seemingly infinite XML load errors, there's so many that eventually I just have to close the program in task manager.

Thank you for your help btw.

Top Bottom