End of Empires - N3S III

Yeah, that's what I meant. Just clarifying it because it wasn't too clear in my original post.

On a different note, my manpower had better increase properly this time. :p

I take it my Bisrian measures have been moving along reasonably well?

He means men who are currently serving or manpower that has been 'used up' enlisting new divisions of a nation's army or navy.

That'd be redundant though, wouldn't it? As you should know the manpower you just used for creating those new divisions.

Edit: Or NK doesn't believe we can do simple math.:p

Still playing, will address diplo and everything else soon.

It is not redundant Matt because your gross manpower does not drop when you create a new division. You still have the same number of men eligible for military service as you did before. Drops in gross manpower would only occur when soldiers are killed in combat or there is a drop in the population due to famine, drought, epidemics etc.

The Thorsrdyn of Evyn sends word to the Accans: we have seen how the winds blown in your favor, and we have taken notice. Your people are mighty descendants from those that contribute to our armies, and as such we sense a common bond. The Thorsrdyn has taken your people to be of great stock, and as such considers them worthy of his friendship. He offers your traders rights in Rito, and the right to preach your faith amongst those people. In return, all he asks is that your traders be respectful of our traditions. Do not attempt to preach among the mainland, and do not interfere in our politics. Generous, no?

With the blessing of the Exatai, Acca accepts the Evyni overtures.

Patronage should be factored in somewhere, but maybe not as a "permanent expense". I also spent more than a couple thousand in treasury income on patronage to the princely houses, which worked out fairly well, for a time.

@das: I don't forsee the Satar being steppe/desert warriors for much longer.

@Azale: We need to talk.

To: Faron Remnants on Helsia

The enemies of Helsia seek to destroy our lands, we must unit in face of these enemies, least our great peninsula is throw into darkness by the barbarians of the west, north, east and south. We are not Faron or Trilui, we are Helsian.
From: Faeranae Saeliadaeora, Speaker on Behalf of the Sudahailia o Raefaera o Faerouhaiaou
To: Vol Jului

We would be content to maintain the status quo which we held with our erstwhile brothers of the Surubaida- we will recognize you as Emperor of Helsia in exchange for your non-intervention in the affairs of the Free Cities League of Faerouhaiaou.

lurker's comment: It's actually interesting to me how Faron words are long and mumbling like the Hu'ut language, but is instead without the many vowels and is more floating. They are obviously not the same language family though, like everyone else aren't.

The Words II, III
Thou have been lied to by false representatives of gods long since departed, they offer you no salvation! They do this in full knowing, offering pittances of your platitudes and offerings to the gods (useless all the while, of course) and pocketing the substantial difference. Whilst thou starve, spiritually and temporally, they live the fine life, always present on your back, ready to steal thy pittance with which to gorge, wear or use all that thou hath produced!

Arise! Arise! O’ Children of Aitah! O’ Spiritual Children of Seshweay! Cast off thy shackles! Thou malcontent, long suppressed, be set free to strike those frauds down! Know that their failures are written in the blood of your children, fathers, mothers and all kin and countrymen! Long have the wars raged because they have not honoured God! Thou hath seen the plight of the non-believer, thou hath probably known it, with Her Word comes salvation!

Even those lost in their own misdeeds, must repent for with her comes Salvation, and she withholds that from no one, washed clean in the fires of collective Faith in Her Divine Countenance!

Lord Hut’ of Hu’ut, Seventy-Seventh of the Hundred

Masada, what's Fish-Speech for Emperor? You never know when you need to bastardise a foreign title.

To: Ederru

We have taken notice of the struggles of your civilized land in resisting the barbaric and destructive Stettin peoples. The light of the Faith can shine only through refinement and civilization. We offer the people of Ederru our armies and pledge of support against the Stettins if you would convert to the Faith and agree to enter into the greater alliance of Holy Nations.

To: Gallat

Some of our people have adopted your beliefs as their own. However, we are still quite unfamiliar with it and cannot just accept it blindly. We offer that you send someone to advise us in the ways of your beliefs so we can see if it is possible for us to accept it.

Would like to join, but finding which nation difficult...suggestions?

I believe the Duroc were fairly Uggorish but are now becoming more Duroc again with a little help from me. A summary and also an essay on Oneism and Duroc culture will be posted as soon as I have time.

As das said, that's not how it works. The Duroc are are not "recapturing the ways of the ancestors" or any such nonsense. Instead, they are mostly sticking to their established ways, which are essentially identical to the Uggor, and calling themselves "Duroc" because they don't want to be Uggor.

One has to remember that nationalism has not been invented in this NES and may well never be invented. People might define themselves as "Duroc" or "Uggor", but that would be second to many, many other identities. The most important ones would probably be the religious and socioeconomic, the latter of which is what prompted the rebellion (most of the Duroc are now Iralliam, regardless of the Order's attempts to convert people).

To: Stettin tribes of the Faith

In keeping with the holy precepts, we offer you entrance into the realm of civilization if you agree to the protection of Gallat and the way of the Faith forever more.

Some do not agree, but many do.

To: Barbarian Stettins (i.e., non-converts)
From: The Holy Order of the Northern Acolytes of the Faith*

Surrender and convert, or you will all die, and your peoples will be wiped from the memory of the world.

The strength of your god has yet to be truly tested against our iron. We relish the idea of combat.

To: Abirae

Our peoples have long been enemies, but now is the time to put aside past rivalries. We offer a more permanent peace and trade, including protection against barbarian enemies, provided the people of Abirae do not interfere in Gallatene politics.

We agree wholeheartedly.

Will be looking into joining soon, NK. Brilliant update.

Excellent, you're always welcome. :)

Would like to join, but finding which nation difficult...suggestions?

What kind of nation are you looking for?

I can adapt, but mainly something that isnt in danger of beaing gobbled up right away. I tend to enjoy building and trade more than warfare.

Double, b-awwwwww :(

From Sira
To the Nahari Empire

This is not a sufficient answer. You must recognize Astria's independence, and publicly forswear any intent to wage war upon any nation of the Faithful. If you do not do so, we will act on the assumption that you intend to carry out your ill-conceived threat.

Don't worry, Astira has managed to avoid our lustful gaze.

das said:
Masada, what's Fish-Speech for Emperor? You never know when you need to bastardise a foreign title.

Emperor is the closest English approximation I could manage without resorting to another language. Aside, from the obvious connotations i.e. above a King, and yet not a King, there are other slightly more sacral understandings inherent in its use.

First and foremost would be the understanding on the part of Aitah (and her eventual successors) that a person honored the Ancestors in an appropriate fashion, however non-standard that might be. A subset of that requirement would look at the Seshweay equivalent of the mana tangata (authority by blood) of the individual to the Ancestors, although that isn't as important as it once was.

This consideration for proximity to the Ancestors also extends into more metaphorical territory, which is the second consideration and far outweighs the utility of 'literal' blood-links now. It instead looks at how that person conforms to one of the Ratu Adil'(Just Ruler) arch-types of Seshweay society which more or less conform to the traditional Ancestors with the slightly more recent additions of Pa, Aya'se, the Matah and now most importantly Aitah herself.

Since the first real Emperor in the modern sense is seen to be Aya'se and because he marked with his death a thousand years later(?) the end of that particular era his name has now attracted all those connotations. Even though his relative importance in the divinity stakes has now been somewhat degraded by the huge importance now attached to his daughter Aitah he is still seen as the paragon of all non-God (in the singular sense) rulers.

I would suggest that some diplomatic misunderstands allowed this. Those would include:

(1) mistaking your ancestors for the Ancestors, since the latter tend to be pretty generic really;
(2) this led to some interesting shenanigans involving the recital of your ancestors which because of linguistic links in some age past tended to have names which bore slightly more than superficial resemblance to the Ancestors; and
(3) the whole religious reformer, fighting the good fight against the barbarians trope is seemingly a recurring theme in Seshweay history, the envoys happened to think that your Aya'se was more or less modeling himself (albeit somewhat badly) on the ancient incarnation of Aya'se.

Which more or less allowed them to inaccurately concluded that Iralliam is just a rather deviant form of Aitahism alongside just about every other relatively well known religion (and obviously only semi-known religions). So the short answer is Aya'se.

I can adapt, but mainly something that isnt in danger of beaing gobbled up right away. I tend to enjoy building and trade more than warfare.

I think Tars or Hanakahi. The latter is more powerful, but slightly more likely to go to war; they have a decently strong alliance with the Zyeshu, and recently have helped out Jipha in a war against Krato. They are also in an excellent position to trade, as you can probably guess by looking at a map. Tars, on the other hand, is very out of the way, on the edge of known civilization, with plenty of expansion opportunities into the shroud (presumably). It's in an alliance with Cynta, Ichan, Erlias, New Kalos, and Leheb to defend any one of the six against aggression by the larger, nearby powers.

Top Bottom