What triggers "vendetta" flag?

Blasph23

Terraformation Junkie
I'm wondering about this flag since I can't seem to track down the cause.
I've had games where I have never attacked or spied on another civilization.
They attacked me instead after which I took 2-3 cities and they signed peace treaty with me.
Then in a few turns I get sneak attacked and the peace never lasts longer than 2-3 turns.
Cheat menu reveals (edit king option -> edit treaties) that they have a vendetta against me, while it is *I* who should have every reason for vendetta against them.
My initial relations have been without vendetta or some mutual animosity, only later deteriorated as my power rating went up.
My reputation was spotless from the onset and never changed.
On a side note: is there a way to remove the flag through normal gameplay, like gifting techs/cash?

Being Supreme for a while definitely does it. There may be more to it though. I too have played completely peaceful games only to be sneak attacked every once in a while.

Exchanging techs, gifting techs, and the Eiffel wonder definitely help improve their attitudes towards you but I doubt they have any effect on the vendetta flag as I have seen sneak attacks from Civs who were Cordial (and above) the previous turn and with nothing to provoke them.

Something I observed about these vendettas (or vendettae?):
Late in the game when the AI start to sneak attack, they seem to secretly cancel out peace treaty! So when I consult our foreign advisor (F3), he tells me we are at peace with that AI. However, when I then consult our ambassador, he tells me that that AI has contact with us, so they are free to attack us. So if we hail them, we can re-sign peace that lasts for a few turns until we are down to contact again. U.N. is very, very helpful at this point, otherwise, they might demand a tech or gold.

I have noticed the peace treaty issue. Sometimes it will expire the very next turn without information.
Detailed diplomatic view reveals that the civ in question is only in contact with me, when we have signed peace just the turn before.
Also, I frequently encounter situation where the AI refuses to sign a peace treaty after it silently expires, even when I have United Nations.
This is usually done in this fashion: after negotiations, when the final menu appears, I pick the "suggest peace treaty" option and the AI asks me to declare war on some other civ.
If I refuse to declare war, they respond with "Ah, so your professed friendship is only skin deep? Then be off with you!" and the peace treaty is not signed.
Yet another example of how the AI cheats.
It can happen with more than one civilization but most commonly occurs on deity level.

I too have experienced this and been annoyed by it. I do not know if there is a good effective way to deal with this. The situation gets annoying when they put troops in your city radius. You cannot ask them to leave because you are not at peace with them and you cannot attack them because you are not at war with them either. Approaching them for peace is often ineffective too. Even if they agree to it, the next turn (the first opportunity you have to ask them to leave) the peace is already gone.

I was taught that you never make peace. That way they will not sneak attack you. You will assume they always will. However if you sue for peace and in the process take their money from them, you can just keep buying their units with your spy network. You can always disband them in your cities, if you have no need for them.

timtofly, the problem with that approach is the senate. I was playing GOTM 156 last night where I was in democracy and about to launch. Persians whom I have always had a great relationship with put an explorer next to one of my frontier small undefended cities. Seeing that their attitude is Receptive I gifted them to worshipful. They still refused a peace treaty and the next turn walked in and took my city. They immediately approached me and senate handed them a cease fire. I got partisans that could have easily taken the city back but I had to wait for a diplomat to subvert the city back a few turns later.

I also forgot that if they are in democracy they cannot be bribed either. You have to get in the habit of sending a spy/diplomat with your settler. That way there is a unit in the city and they will not "accidently" move into that tile.

I had a funny situation with the AI nuking my city, then capturing it and suing for peace which my senate of course agreed to. I mean peace, not cease fire.
Then later on that VERY same turn, they nuked another city of mine and paradropped into it, then sued for peace again and my senate agreed to it AGAIN.
Needless to say, they had a vendetta flag against me, for no apparent reason other than me being supreme and building a space ship.

It's hard to fight external threats in the game when your domestic enemies are so influential. Next turn, my empire celebrated a new form of government and there was no senate anymore.

Top Bottom