Frequently Asked Questions

Why can't I destroy/pillage roads in my civ's borders?

I can destroy other improvements, but not roads.

This would come in handy to thwart other civ's connecting their cities with workers building roads in my territory. I don't want to end an Open Borders agreement, but destroying the roads would be good.

Thanks.

Try using mercenaries?

Will do. So, I guess there is no way to do it until you are able to build/capture mercenaries?

While on that subject I think the human player received a big boost when the barb merc units were changed to the current from the mounted version. Also, the ability to capture the mercs can be good.

It can also be a problem as you are soon swamped with mercs and high maintenance.

It can also be a problem as you are soon swamped with mercs and high maintenance.

I had that problem too. Just started keeping 3 or 4 then deleting any new ones.

I had that problem too. Just started keeping 3 or 4 then deleting any new ones.

That's exactly what I try to do, but sometimes it is hard to track when you are killing plenty of them.

I wonder what the odds are that you will 'convert' a mercenary in battle!

That's exactly what I try to do, but sometimes it is hard to track when you are killing plenty of them.

I wonder what the odds are that you will 'convert' a mercenary in battle!

My problem always was when I have "my" mercs running around and barb mercs, how to tell the difference :lol:

Try using mercenaries?

I tried using mercenaries with both the Hidden Nationality and without and neither could destroy roads in my own territory.

Is this a Vanilla Civ thing, or only in FFH?

Thank you.

Are demon units considered living units? (as of .16j)

I ask because certain spells/effect can only target/affect living units. Clarification on this is needed.

From my understanding, units that are considered not living are either demon or undead. Demon is counter-intuitive. This should definitively be clarified in the pedia entries of these promotions, if this is the correct interpretation.

Are demon units considered living units? (as of .16j)

I ask because certain spells/effect can only target/affect living units. Clarification on this is needed.

From my understanding, units that are considered not living are either demon or undead. Demon is counter-intuitive. This should definitively be clarified in the pedia entries of these promotions, if this is the correct interpretation.
demon and undead are considered not living, but for demons it is because thiers is the inherint "opposite" of life, as opposed to the contiuation of life by other means.

i was wondering where Alignment was defined for each leader... doesn't seem to be in leaderheads or civilizations. so does anyone know in what file alignments are defined?

edit: nevermind, found it.. i was looking for Good/evil but its set to -1/0/1 under a alignment value

You might wanna add "is there ever going to be a mac version of ffh" with a "no" and a sad face. ;P

It seems that this has shown up more than enough times that it belongs in here:
I have a great prophet and the Fellowship of the Leaves holy city but I can't build the wonder! The wonder had not been built yet but I still can't build it! Why can't I build the wonder with my prophet?
It had been changed in FIRE so that Great Bards are used to build the Fellowship of the Leaves wonder. The same thing for the Ashen Veil only they use Great Sages.

I suggest adding a prominent Q/A guiding players to documentation.

Even if you did, I'm not sure it would be enough for me personally. I played FfH1 but when I've tried to play FfH2 I've been frustrated that the documentation is so scattered and seemingly incomplete, and have only played the first hundred turns of a few games. Even if the Civilopedia and Wiki taken together were complete (and correct), I might still find that too frustrating. There are probably other potential players with similar experiences. I think the presence of the many hardcore fans here might make that less obvious.

I suggest adding a prominent Q/A guiding players to documentation.

Even if you did, I'm not sure it would be enough for me personally. I played FfH1 but when I've tried to play FfH2 I've been frustrated that the documentation is so scattered and seemingly incomplete, and have only played the first hundred turns of a few games. Even if the Civilopedia and Wiki taken together were complete (and correct), I might still find that too frustrating. There are probably other potential players with similar experiences. I think the presence of the many hardcore fans here might make that less obvious.

I appreciate what you are saying, but I need to know specifics. What is confusing?

Most importantly I need to know about things in "Light" that need better documentation. I know that the new features of "Fire" aren't documented well. First we need to figure out how they work, then we will document them. But if there is "Light" stuff that is hard to understand we definitly need to do what we can to decrease the learning curve.

Generally, where do I find the documentation? Different info seems to in the pedia, wiki, faq, patch change logs, and... various threads. :( Specifically, if I know what I'm looking for is there a definite place to look it up? When I find a fragment of documentation somewhere, can I be confident that it's correct and complete? (at least as of the latest major version, I guess. I'm more comfortable reading patch change logs.)

Let me see if I can answer your light question, hmm...

I wouldn't know where to find something out, or I'd get incomplete or wrong information somewhere. Examples -
- the pedia doesn't list each civ's special case buildings, but the wiki doesn't document all the buildings
- in the pedia and wiki vampirism and gift vampirism are listed under different headings with different details included or excluded in each place
- the pedia and 2 places in the wiki say slightly different things about magic immune
Difficulty finding details for whatever reason frustrated me especially because of all the interaction between different game elements.

Seems like you were asking if I think any feature areas are underdocumented. I think magic could use more more precision and more details. I just spent a while with it and think I understand it better, but I had to jump between the wiki and pedia, and rely on some stuff I already knew. Examples of problems -
- the overview pages in the wiki are unclear about how ranks and realms work. It's hard to explain exactly how they're unclear.
- the only place I could find a statement that spell casters get XP automatically is in the magic section of the pedia, which includes an unexplained statement that adepts won't gain experience forever
- the free promotion promotion seems not to be explained anywhere
- the description of some spells is terse (examples - is hideous thoughts permanent? exactly what does mutation do?). And of course, the descriptions are only in the pedia.

I wouldn't know where to find something out, or I'd get incomplete or wrong information somewhere. Examples -
- the pedia doesn't list each civ's special case buildings, but the wiki doesn't document all the buildings
- in the pedia and wiki vampirism and gift vampirism are listed under different headings with different details included or excluded in each place
- the pedia and 2 places in the wiki say slightly different things about magic immune
Difficulty finding details for whatever reason frustrated me especially because of all the interaction between different game elements.

Seems like you were asking if I think any feature areas are underdocumented. I think magic could use more more precision and more details. I just spent a while with it and think I understand it better, but I had to jump between the wiki and pedia, and rely on some stuff I already knew. Examples of problems -
- the overview pages in the wiki are unclear about how ranks and realms work. It's hard to explain exactly how they're unclear.
- the only place I could find a statement that spell casters get XP automatically is in the magic section of the pedia, which includes an unexplained statement that adepts won't gain experience forever
- the free promotion promotion seems not to be explained anywhere
- the description of some spells is terse (examples - is hideous thoughts permanent? exactly what does mutation do?). And of course, the descriptions are only in the pedia.

Yeah, I think thats all great feedback. When we were getting ready to close out "Light" I gave a copy to a player who had never played before and asked him to write down everything that confused him. That was great feedback and I think I fixed a lot of stuff from that list. Most were things that we take for granted here, so we miss it.

Your points are good, how to address them is the question. Pedia entries are great, and could definitly use improving. But I wonder if there isn't more we can do.

For example, one thing that has been recommended and I haven't added yet is a popup when you build your first adept that will tell you about mana nodes and spellcasting.

I think things like that would be so nice for new players. I just need to know what they are. So keep the ideas coming.

It would be good too if more people start updating the wiki as and when they find additional information from whatever other sources (e.g. from this forum). As it is, only a few people are updating the wiki pages. This way, we all benefit from the combine effort rather than having each of us having to test game mechanics and locate information that may have been available on page 10 of this forum.

Top Bottom