Deconstruction of IGN article

Pouakai

It belongs in a museum.
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218810p1.html

Mentions that the bizarre tank seen in the Combustion tech is referred to as a 'land ship'

Religions can be built on terrain, so nearby mountains can be benefited through religion

Religious policy 'Tithing' means all cities of the faith, regardless of civilization, generate gold for you.

Founder belief 'Just War' gives a 20% boost to military units

Civilizations with conflicting policies (I.e. Freedom & Autocracy) will have diplo hit

Spies can steal technologies

Spies can rig elections, which appears to boost your favour in city-states while penalising others

Spies can initiate coups.

Units have a lot more health, meaning "They can't be blasted off in one turn"

WWI-era Bi-Planes and Tri-planes (Undoubtedly the two units on Flight)

Melee naval units, these can capture cities

All embarked units can now defend themselves (Presumably new UA for Songhai now)

Mayan civilization gets Calendar-related Cultural bonuses

New Privateer Unit

Units have a lot more health, meaning "They can't be blasted off in one turn"

This is interesting. I had thought the more health was a solution to the spearman vs. airplane and "minimum 1 damage" problem.

i wonder if the melee naval unit can clear a barb hut if they can take a city by water. some naval unit should be able to disembark to clear one but not wander around and scout by land.

i wonder if the melee naval unit can clear a barb hut if they can take a city by water. some naval unit should be able to disembark to clear one but not wander around and scout by land.
Naval units can enter coastal cities, but they can't enter land, so almost certainly no.

This is interesting. I had thought the more health was a solution to the spearman vs. airplane and "minimum 1 damage" problem.

Could be a bit of both. If they've made it a finer grain, then presumably the minimum damage won't be 10.

Naval units can enter coastal cities, but they can't enter land, so almost certainly no.

im fairly pessimistic about it, but 10 guys on a trireme and you cant send 5 of them on land to pillage and clear a hut? quite irritating really. i think it should only apply to huts within range of an attack and even be a movement cost without actually having an animation of guys pillaging it.

they did say that would drastically change naval combat. as it is people mostly play pangaea so they dont have to specifically tech for sea units. getting to the Ren era for Rationalism and Freedom is the biggest use of that whole line.

and if all embarked units can now defend i wonder if the submarine bug will be fixed or if their utility will be nerfed. i only use them for 1-shot removal of embarked units and passing under ice.

I think it addresses both problems too. Another thing that occurred to me (probably was obvious to others) was, if it takes more turns to resolve combat, that obviously benefits the side with more forces. So, those early rushes that we would laugh at and defend with a couple of archers and a warrior, might be more of a threat? Will be interesting to see.

Why would it benefit the side with more forces? It seems to me (purely speculating) that it would benefit the defender. The longer combat lasts, the longer the attackers have to stand in range of the defender's cities.

Why would it benefit the side with more forces? It seems to me (purely speculating) that it would benefit the defender. The longer combat lasts, the longer the attackers have to stand in range of the defender's cities.

Units last longer, so they can withstand the ranged and melee damage of a smaller defensive force but still have enough HP to deal killing blows to that smaller force. The larger force would also have enough HP left to rotate out (if in really bad shape) or siege a city. Unless I'm missing something longer combat is a problem for a player with very light defenses.

I noticed I didn't mention one of the reasons I assumed the greater HP scale would benefit superior numbers. I assumed (based on the articles) that units would also inflict a lower percentage of damage. I assumed that promotions and bonuses, such as the new "just war" bonus (which sounds like a great idea) would become overwhelming if the scale remained the same. So, basically, I'm making a lot of assumptions.

When I saw some of the details about the reworked combat system the first thing I thought was how this could impact the AI tendency to try early rushes. Then this brings me back to reality...

A word of warning... a lot of the early Civ V previews (IGN's in particular) were WILDLY inaccurate when it came to details.

Sound advise.:)

What is this supposed to mean?

'Built' as in 'based on', I would say, rather than literally constructed on that physical location. From the article:
For instance, if you live amongst a series of mountains you might pick a pantheon of gods that take them into account. Having gods that complement your geography could result in national benefits, such as making stone quarries both a natural resource and a site with religious significance that generates faith.
So like a yield modifier, I guess. For instance, the one in the screenshot it 'Religious Idols- +1 Culture and +1 Faith for each Gold and Silver'. Presumably there's also one that gives + something to mountains, or + something to stone quarries.

Some of the details about the customizability of religion seems to open the doors wide open for a fantasy mod.

if you live amongst a series of mountains you might pick a pantheon of gods that take them into account.

Can you say "Dwarves"?

The bizarre tank looks like a British Mark IV.

Top Bottom