Demigod game if anyone's interested

CTM

I choose no avatar.
Hello. A while back, I posted a thread in the Civ III Conquests forum about a Demigod game in which I was the Romans. I posted it because in the game, India was a runaway civ and although I had the second largest landmass and population, I was very behind in techs; India was at least ahead of me by one whole age.

Only one person posted a real suggestion, and I took it. I managed to pull closer to my general opposition, but the Indians were still too far ahead and they continued to pull ahead of me.

Only way of winning selected was Domination, and by the time I got Replaceable Parts and an extensive army the Indians had Computers and Synthetic Fibers, so I decided in the end to just subjugate the lesser advanced (still more advanced than me though), but still powerful, empires. However, earlier today when I went to load my game up, I discovered it had been erased. Well, not completely, or I wouldn't be posting this: all that remained was a save I had made like 70 turns earlier. That was at least a month ago, and after that, I said to hell with continuing with it.

I want to see if anyone else here would like to take a shot at it, though, and see if they can win in the set parameters. Why am I posting here instead? Because I've noticed that a considerable number of people have posted threads like these in this forum instead and have gotten far more extensive replies.

Here's the requirements and the basics that you need to know:

First of all, it's a Civ III Conquests game, with the latest patch (v1.22).
Demigod, Romans, Huge map, continents with 70% water, only way you can win is by Domination; cultural conversions are allowed, AI aggression is normal and Preserve Random Seed is turned off.

Second largest landsize and second largest population, with the Indians in first. Reputation sucks, so GPT deals are probably out of the question in gaining tech. I know the Aztecs have continually allowed me to by renegotiating peace deals every 20 turns, though.

And yeah, I'm way behind in tech. I just bought a bunch of Industrial Age techs but the Indians are at the end of the Industrial Age and aren't far from the Modern Era. The Aztecs and Iroquois are a couple of techs ahead of me at this point due to extensive tech trading.

Everything else I assume you can pick up on rather quickly after picking up the game and looking at it.

Basically, I'm looking to see someone beat this game after my attempts to do so ended in my progress being erased. This game really frustrated me, so I want to see a Roman victory. :)

Here's the zipped file:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Caesar_of_the_Romans,_1445_AD_-_2.SAV

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that although the file says 1445 AD, it's actually 1490.

One thing that makes it hard for many is the huge map size in the IA. It will take a lot of work to manage lots of towns and units.

Are you still giving it a go?

No, I'm done with it. Frankly, after losing a month of progress, I don't want to go through the agony I went through the first time to get where I was.

I'm sure zerksees will post a thread a few months ago where he ends up conquering all of India and make up an age of tech in three hours. :p

Just kidding, but he is probably the best person around at this sort of thing.

I played one turn, but even on my old 3gh it was a real drag waiting. I switched a bunch to make settlers to get more towns for support. I would get up a few more banks.

I would rather not have seen coloseums in a size 12. When I know Steams is due, I like to gather all workers near the capitol and prepare to rail like crazy. This gets more food/shields up in the core and connects them to allow units to get out faster.

Then do a john henry to get towns connected with an eye towards the circumference of the empire. I would rush the Pentagon with that spare leader, since the MA is not far from done anyway.

Having a 4 unit army will let some of those old unit armies do damage. Yes they will not be able to leave the homeland, but they are crap anyway. 3x legions will not fair well Vs Inf and tanks, but add in a calv and they could kill a wounded unit.

You will want better armies to send out to invade any how. I suspect it can be won, but it will be very painful and with bombers coming, it is touch and go. Given the time to play a turn, it needs a big commitment.

Which is exactly why I've given it up. Keep in mind I played from that turn for over a month, and lost it all. That's left me pretty frustrated. Right when I felt the most comfortable about whacking someone, too.

It's why I'd be very happy to see someone take this game for a spin and win it.

Top Bottom