Transitioning from Civ II Gold -> Civ III

XxtraLarGe

Warlord
I picked up a copy of Civ III on the cheap, but I didn't get a manual with it. While the Civilopedia is pretty good, I'd like to know what the major changes are and how they influence the game.

What recommendations would you have for a verteran Civ II Gold player who is just starting out on Civ III? Also, are there any Mac specific materials out on the web (hot keys, etc.)? I haven't been able to find any it seems.

You definitely have to browse the War Academy for Civ3. The obvious difference is culture. There is a cultural victory, so you do not want to ignore culture (temples, etc.), or else you could lose by culture - rare, but it can happen. Also, city culture-flips are very annoying - except when they go your way. Resources must be connected to your capital by a road in order to receive the benefits, and they must also be within your borders.

Hi. Welcome to Civ3 :wavey:

I've never played Civ2 so others will have to answer your first question. The manual does include a fair bit of information about the differences, but if you really can't get your hands on a manual then the best source of information I can suggest is the main CFC site. The left hand menu gives access to a lot of information about the game elements and game play.

Hot keys are pretty much the same as on the PC, but you substitute Command for Control in some cases. I printed off an excellent reference document created by LoneWolf5050 as my cheat sheet when I was getting going, and it still comes in handy now. It's not Mac-specific, but it's 15 pages, and includes the tech tree, civ traits, units, building and wonder details, culture values, terrain resources, keyboard shortcuts ... Invaluable.

XxLl, another critical area is undertsanding corruption. It can be very debilitating. In vanilla Civ3, the feature was broken to some degree.

The basic idea is hat the farther away cities are from the capital, the greater the corruption. In vanilla Civ3 & PtW, there were a few loop holes.

(1) RCP
(2) Forbidden Palace

RCP = Ring City Placement; this allowed the player to build his firt5 - 6 cities around the capital within a certain number of tiles of the capital. This greatly increased production of those cities. The player now had a industrial core that the AI really couldn't do conciously.

The Forbidden Palace acted as a new palace in regards to corruption, greatly reducing the corruption of a new core of cities (once built). In fact, this could be accomplished clear across the map, which is not want the designers had in mind. The player could even move his capital to a third core, say a core of cities captured from the enemy.

But, in Conquests (and C3Com), RCP has been removed and the Forbidden Palace has been fixed - to become the corruption "reducing" facility it was meant to be. Now, it isn't wise to build the FP too far away fom your capital, and it no longer ias as powerful for its surrounding cities.

Top Bottom