Team GONG Embassy

General_W

Councilor & Merlot Noble
Team GONG Embassy
Team GONG
Civ: Celts
Traits: Religious, Agricultural
UU: Gallic Swordsman 3.2.2 (+1 move swordsman, +10 shield cost)

Spoiler Member List at Contact :

Sir Bugsy
Tim Bentley
Daghdha
RickFGS
Ansar the King
SimpleMonkey
RFHolloway
madviking
archphoenix
killercane
jb1964
Tone
Perfection
markh
Theryman
PrinceMyshkin
Othniel

Proposed First Letter to send to GONG:
Dear Party Animals of the GONG show,
Keepers of the Great Library & Pyramid of Cans,
Exporters of fine adult beverages,

Warmest greetings from the halls of The Council! We are pleased to finally make your acquaintance, and look forward to a mutually beneficial relationship.

What are you plans for this watery world? We look forward to hearing from you!

General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council

Note: I'm not real sure what to say here, as we're not exactly interested in trading with GONG.
Also note – there's a good chance that GONG will be going for a cultural victory… with their safe island and their cheap religious buildings. 100k in multiplayer always seemed like suicide to me – but we should keep in mind that they might be thinking about it… and so we may not want to offer a really long peace treaty?

Thought? Re-writes?

Nevermind. I don't think they're going for cultural. Perhaps a three way space race will be ahead.

Looks good to me. The caption for their stats says BABE though. ;)

:blush: Thanks Niklas! Now fixed.

Anyone think we ought to offer a 20 or 25 turn peace treaty? Sounds nice, and we won't get astronomy/want to attack anyone before then anyway.

Or just start vague, as above, and let them make the first move?

Regarding their current military strength (or rather weakness) I'm not too scared... They seem to hide behind their fierce UU without ever building one...

What scares me more is the thought that BABE could invade them, get a whole continent with Pyramides and maybe even leave the GL town for last as elevator :scared:

Their feudal government however is something to wonder about. The must be piling gold, with probably zero research and no cash rushing in Feudalism. :confused:
What for? 100% research till the end of the game once GL became obsolet? :hmm:

In feudalism, you can build a huge army....

Think of it: GLib gives them education, they do a fast switch to republic for a run to astronomy, have a huge army and invade.

Dunno if that is what they are planning, but...

By the way I just realized something when we were afraid of the almighty Babe Gong era jump. What benefit if any would their of gong to let babe in on the jump.

They could agree to share the loot? :hmm:

What loot.

The techs BABE gets when it rides the elevator to the Modern Times...
They might agree (quite a risk for GONG) that BABE shares them with GONG.

ok - I'm sending our into letter now.

Title: "Greetings from The Council"

:salute:

Oh – and I've noticed speculation elsewhere that GONG established an embassy with us. Are we sure this is true? Because if it's just a matter of seeing the land around their capital, it's more likely that FREE established the embassy (or had one established on them) and we can just see it because we got FREE's map.

No, it's true. You can see it on the spionage-screen <shift>-e. We got an embassy with GONG.

Ah - thanks. Just haven't had a chance to look there myself.

How odd... they open an embassy and don't even bother to send a letter to say hi :nono:

Well, it'll be interesting to see how they respond to our note.

Word in from GONG!

Hello to The Council from the fun-loving anarchists of the Gongers!

Our current plans are to assess our ever-expanding world and see how we can all move forward together in a fun-loving (not that there's anything wrong with that) way.

We have long heard of the relationship you have struck up with team Free. Rumor had it that the FC-Axis was on the verge of interstellar flight so we are bit nonplused that you two have only made a single deposit into the Great Gong Library.

Currently The Great Gong Library is only stocked w/ Iron Man comics, AAA maps of Whales and Indiana, and a tap that runs back to the Pyramids. Daghie never leaves that place except to beat on his drums that are specifically forbidden inside the Library. Once we actually get some books in that place we'll also have to deal with his incessant taping on "everything" with a #2 pencil and a spork.

In this world of odd islands, odd numbers, odd teams, and outright goofy characters it would be splendid if we could find a way to work together in a mutually beneficial manner. And since I'm not really the idea guy amongst the Gongers I'll wait to hear back from The Council, keepers of SoZ, new friends in the world of Rik, for suggestion as to how we may formally cooperate in the short, mid and long terms.

Salutations,

Ambassador jb of the Gongers

Well &#8211; they clearly want us to know that they're paying attention &#8211; so no funny business!
At least they're honest about their thievery with the Great Library&#8230; and they appear to be a bit puzzled by our recently diminished trading with FREE. That's good :thumbsup:

I say we come right back at them with our knowledge of their relationship with BABE, and see if they might be interested in a DAB treaty? Good way to feel them out on where they currently stand with BABE&#8230; and if we do still end up as BABE's target, it'd be pretty sweet to get gold payments from 3 teams!

Rough Draft Response:
Dear jb and all GONG funlovers,

As you are correctly gathering, rumors of The Council flying cars and spaceships was greatly exaggerated. Don't despair over the marginal returns on your Great Spybary just yet&#8230; I'm sure you'll get your money's worth out of it&#8230; at the very least, it's sure to be a great source of cultural improvement! :)

We'll admit to some hesitation at working with you, as the Council Intelligence Agency long ago uncovered the GONG-BABE cooperation that catapulted you both into the (formerly fashionable) Middle Ages. But now with the BABE armada frustrated and wandering about aimlessly looking for beach party that's not already too crowded (if you catch my drift)&#8230; we're wondering if perhaps you're truly interested in other friends?

As a starting point, we'd like to offer you a D.A.B. treaty&#8230; Defense Against BABE. We would agree to a guaranteed peace deal with you (say, minimum of 30 turns?), and during that time, if either team is attacked by BABE, then the team not under attack would gift 20gpt to the besieged team for the duration of the attack/up to 20 turns max.

Would you have any interest in such a deal?

Looking forward to seeing where we can go from here.

All the best,
General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council

Thoughts on the basic premise of this letter?
Let's clean this up and get a response back to GONG!

Yes, I like it! If they say yes, hooray, then there is no alliance. And if BABE does attack them, we could do worse things than boosting them. If they say no, we'll have more evidence of the BABE/GONG warm relations and nothing has been lost.

So, I worry that they are in bed with BABE (though, why Dr Bambi would want to associate with a guy who looks like Brennus when there are plenty of middle-aged fat guys like me around...) and I am not sure I want to hint around at specifics.

I really dont' want to add *more* hints that we are relatively undefended and I don't know that I want get specific in our DAB proposal until we here back. I'd also really like to know what they plan to do with the island that FREE settled that they can reach.

@ AT &#8211; I don't think this letter has any "specifics" in it? What are you referring to?

I agree &#8211; it'd be great to find out what GONG's plan is for that FREE island near them, but how do you propose we get them to tell us???
They've already indicated that they know we've got a good relationship with FREE.

I have no objection to removing the specifics of the proposed DAB treaty&#8230; I put them in to make us look more serious about it. But if other's agree, I don't have really strong feelings on the subject.

I can see AT's point. I think we can take the specifics out for now, just ask them if they would be willing to sign any kind of DAB treaty at all.

Top Bottom