End of Empires - N3S III

Palmyran Military Part 2

The Palmyrans use a matter of tests to determine what military role a person should be under. Your typical rookie solder starts out as a Boganya and once they pass enough tests (both physical and mental) that they have the option of becoming Aragoon and becoming more armored or they can remain as Boganya and get a small pay raise instead. The final level in which a person can become is the Yorragong which is the top pier in terms of skills, armaments, and talent in warfare. In order to do this though they have to hunt down and capture several captives which are to become Boganya. Should the people who have joined and remained within the military a total of 21 years has the option of leaving permanently without punishment.
There is also a semi separate class which is the Banyaippo which requires that a person be a bonganya, aragoon, and a yorragong for a consecutive seven years each for each class. In this you also have to pass an extremely difficult test, must have been in at least one major conflict, and must have successfully trained a regiment of captives into a loyal group of Boganya before becoming a Banyaippo.

However, there is a completely separate class called the Yarmiyon which is the group of solders who are fighting on religious grounds. This means that they get training from the regular military but also get indoctrinated in Palmyran Shrewism. That means they are essentially extremely well trained, disciplined, and fight savagely for both the church and the state.

Prisoner Code of Conduct

Anyone who is captured by the Palmyran military must follow these rules
1. You must follow the orders of the Banyaippo at all times, unless under extremely rare conditions (should the officer be abusive). If they do prove to be abusive in your mind you must provide significant evidence of this abuse. If they are proven to be abusive then they will become a prisoner much like yourself.
2. You will swear total loyalty at all times to Palmyra and after your term within the military is over you shall become a citizen of our nation.
3. All people who are at the age of thirteen and above must join the military unless if extreme medical conditions prevents it. Those people shall be treated until they are able to do so.
4. You shall never run away, if you do you will have a bounty placed against you and anyone (including prisoners should they get the chance) has the right to kill you.
5. You are to be trained and educated in Palmyran culture, conduct, religion, and history.

Banyaippo Code of Conduct

1. You must never harm without good reason any prisoners of war.
2. You must give them food, shelter, clothing, and other basic needs.
3. You must train them to the best of your abilities.
4. You must take care of those who are sick.
5. You must not kill any prisoners unless if they have betrayed the state.
6. You recognize that you will become a prisoner yourself if you are found to continually breaking these rules.

Under what circumstances has Palmyra EVER taken ANY prisoners?

Seriously. :p

Ninja_Dude, the Exatai of the Satar has been using a variant of the Ka (the Ka'shim) for about a generation now, since Atraxes returned from Krato.

das, since the Satar were technically planning on using the wealth from the sack of Trovin and Faron to repay their financial obligations from the war, you actually inherited a 4000 Ka'shim debt when you captured Magha. Have fun with that. ;)

A long time ago, but I posted that just to let them know of the polocy from now on, should we go to war with anyone ;) (not that we want to as of now :p)

Ninja_Dude, the Exatai of the Satar has been using a variant of the Ka (the Ka'shim) for about a generation now, since Atraxes returned from Krato.

das, since the Satar were technically planning on using the wealth from the sack of Trovin and Faron to repay their financial obligations from the war, you actually inherited a 4000 Ka'shim debt when you captured Magha. Have fun with that. ;)

That's why I'm wondering how widespread the use of it is. I already know the Satar used the Ka'shim, which I just consider Ka with faces on them :p. Seeing as how the Satar and Krato both have had heavy influences on the world and use a lot of money, I assumed that our money would start spreading farther around the world.

The Trilui remain the major trading nation in the world, even as things are. Whatever currency they circulate is likely the most "international", and that's the Tui.

Anyway, regarding prisoners, Sira doesn't.

The Faronun have used the Haoui as a currency for a great deal of time, although given our close economic relationship with Trilui, I imagin that the Tui is used as well.

I don't know whos idea it was, but everyone having das's avatar for this day is confusing.

conehead234 said:
I don't know whos idea it was, but everyone having das's avatar for this day is confusing.

What are you talking about?

Having the same currency in this day and age doesn't confer the same advantages that it does in the modern world. Most transactions are done by weight anyway.

To Rema

How amusing, that a response comes for that crumb of worthless parchment that once rested in my hands. I must admit that it was only with the greatest delight that I took in feeding it to the flames, more joy in its erasure than was surely taken from its making. Your words, dear friends, have fallen upon deaf ears and a closed mind. We shall agree to no treaty; what gain does our fair state gain from trading with such a minnow as yours? Anything needed can be obtained from either the West, or the South; nothing but trouble has come from the North.

This matter aside, I must state that I take news of your state with displeasure; yet another follower of the Voices has cropped up in our gaze and it is all that I can do to prevent myself from retching from this discovery. I shall make this plain and clear- it is the policy of the Evyn to harbor no will towards any foolish enough to believe in Gods. Should it come to it; no mercy will be given and your state will be razed for harboring such beliefs. Having given more than dutiful notice, it is also a clear warning that should scholars trek across your pitiful lands, their safety will be your responsibility. The death of a single is grounds for war; yet they shall not make such a journey unless requested.

OOC: Other words, I don't care Circuit :p. There are no “missionaries” for Ytauzi, the Evyni “faith”, rather scholars who debate the origins, nature, and pertinence of the Alainti, i.e Existence. Also, you should realize that the Evyn carry a very superior attitude and aren't very interested in your (tiny) state for trading; much less for ongoing relations.

Also, I agree with Conehead.

OOC: This seems a bit inconsistent. If you don't care and don't proselytise, then why bother destroying the barbarians? Not to discourage you from religious genocide or anything, mind you.

To Evyni

We are highly disappointed by your cold response. Let it be known from this day forth, that a new holiday called Evynihate Day shall be created, upon which day the citizens of Rema will wave sticks menacingly in your general direction :trouble: (and also use whatever marketing techniques they can to make the holiday as materialistic as possible).

The nature of your "faith" has prompted the citizens of Europa City to pass a referendum that strengthens the rights of those who are persecuted for intelectual discussion. It is no longer legal to attack those who are engaging in philosophical discussion, including metaphysics (or, as you refer to, Altainti). However, don't expect many converts, as the citizens of Reman cities all hate you, son of Charlosi!

You are still on your own in advocating a different religion and church, but your not doing that.

The Beginning of the End

Saleuhai Perof grunted as he poured more of the charred rubble out of the way. Underneath was a crushed and burned body, huddled over a small pile of trinkets. Saleuhai called out his discovery, and looked away.

Such loss... such destruction. He could not comprehend how anything human could commit such atrocities.

These acts were not human. Their cause had not been human.

Saleuhai came next to a crushed wooden structure, which may have once been a house. A tiny fabric doll was one of the last intact objects, the last remains of a child’s life.

Tears, only recently restrained, flowed once more from the man’s red eyes, trickling down to his parched, salty mouth.

How could this have happened?

Brushing the dampness off of his face, the pained man continued his search through the rubble. He was just one of many, all facing the same question.

It would not soon be answered.

Laeulayei Maeriouhau strode quickly and with purpose, her red and blue robes trailing behind her. A significant entourage followed her, down into a green valley, within which a great gathering was taking place. For the first time since the destruction of the City of Farou and much of the south, the Council was gathering. The great hall in Farou was utterly destroyed, but it was well known that, in ancient times, the earliest councils of the Faroun took place under the golden light of Haiaou.

The Matriarch of the Maeriouhau looked around. The gathering was much smaller than it had been prior to the war. Troubled, she wondered how much of that was due to the chaos in the country, and how much of it was due to deaths from the war. Was it possible that entire Faeoria had been wiped out?

Or was it something entirely more sinister? Laeulayei called an aide to her side.

“Trefain. Make note of who is missing.”

“Certainly milady.”

The leader and representative of the Maeriouhau stood still as the crowd in the grassy basin grew ever larger. In time, Trefain returned.

“It is to my best understanding that perhaps three quarters of the southern Faeoria are here despite many reporting the losses of many of their numbers. One quarter to one half of the northern Faeoria have arrived, although several others which are not present have deigned to have you speak on their behalf. However-”

“The uplanders...”

“We have very few Faerouhaiaouan delegations here. I am unsure what to make of this, and do not believe that wild speculation would be of benefit-”

“I’ll be the one to decide upon the value of speculation. Thank you.”

“Milady.” Trefain bowed and backed away.

Laeulayei was now distinctly troubled. War had not come to Faerouhaiaouan lands, and envoys had been sent into the mountainous interior some time previously. A lack of any form of response, other than confusion from the few present Faerouhaiaouan representatives, seemed to point towards one terrible conclusion.

Now, however, was not the moment. Laeulayei, flanked by several other high-ranking Maeriouhau, stepped up onto a hastily-assembled wooden platform and called for the silence and attention of the council.

“Greetings, brother and sister Faeoria. We all know that we live in dire times, but I have called you together on this day to ensure that we will outlast these troubles, and undo what has been done. I am grieved to see so many dead, but we cannot let ourselves be constrained by this grief, lest it come upon us again. Firstly, we must ensure the continuation of the stability of Faron- with our great city destroyed, we will be establishing a council in Dremai, from which we may govern until the shards of Farou are brought back into an intact state.

Above all, we cannot let our strength fail now, in this crucial moment. Our sufferings have been great, but the storm of invasion has passed. We cannot let Faron collapse now, as it teeters upon shaken foundations. It is for this reason that we must now have unity and common purpose.

I trust enough in the spirit of our lands that we will not give in now that the spectre of imminent destruction has faded. Strengh, Faeoria of Faron, and common purpose. It is this faith which will bring us through the darkness, and towards the dawn of the future. In Dremai, we will begin to undo what has been done to our country!

Some hours after the speech, a group of council members were engaged in a heated discussion.

“Does she think we’re idiots?” fumed Aralai Perof, “What is this?”

“It’s not the most clever choice, is it?” responded Faradaen Fiaour laconically.

“Which ‘non-clever’ choice? The idea to make the Maeriouhau fortress the capital of Faron? Or the fact that she entirely failed to mention that there was not a single Faerouhaiaouan here?”

“There were some.”

“A handful! A pittance! Look at the situation! The Faerouhaiaouans were never the most congenial bunch- Haiaou, it’s hard to even say that we even got along. But now, we Faronun are crushed and broken, while they’re resting untouched in the mountains. Now, they don’t recognize the government. Do I need to draw it out for you?”

“You mean they’re rebelling?”

“Seceding! Declaring war! I don’t know, but I do know that half of our country has just rejected the authority of the King, in calling a council-”

“Wasn’t it the Maeriouhau who called the council?”

“I’m getting to that. Consider the situation. The Maeriouhau have been consolidating their power for... longer than we’ve been alive. Now the land is destabilized and broken by the Dahaiaou, and they want to move the capital to...”

Aralai’s blanched, his eyes unfocused and jaw slack.

“What is it?” asked Faradaen, panicking.

“Haiaou above...” mumbled the shocked Aralai, slowly shaking his head.

“What is it?!”

Aralai turned to his companion, a look of horrified realization upon his face.

“The Satar... it all makes sense, and it’s the worst feeling I have ever imagined.”

“What? Tell me!”

“Dremai was spared by the Satar- they approached it and then turned away, to do what they did to the rest of the country. Haiaou... Faerafaen’s madness was true. The Maeriouhau had an agreement with the invaders.”

“Madness indeed!”

“But not mine, nor the old general’s... this is horrid beyond comprehension, but it all makes sense. Almost all of the opposition to the Maeriouhau is in the south- the area that was destroyed and pillaged. It was we who fell in droves, it was we who suffered the brunt of the invasion. The Satar simply came, destroyed our lands, and left. It’s perfect for a plan to take power- with the south depopulated and the capital moved northwards, the Maeriouhau will rule without opposition. And consider the Faerouhaiaouans- she wouldn’t mention their absence at all! They are brothers to the Maeriouhau- they may even be involved in this plot. Look at the fortifications they built in their mountains, when they were truly needed in the cities. O terror and treachery!”

The rest of the group, silent until this point, burst into the conversation with a flurry of interjections. However, it soon dawned upon them all that Aralai spoke the truth. Soon, their rebuttals became cries of accord.

“The uplanders aren’t here so that the Maeriouhau can finish us all off right now! We have to leave!”

“We must stop them!”

“Kill Laeulayei!”

Word spread quickly throughout the representatives of the Southern Faeoria, raising shock, horror... then credulity. By nightfall, torches were coming alight. A grand tradition of political overthrow was about to resume.

Posted by das
OOC: This seems a bit inconsistent. If you don't care and don't proselytise, then why bother destroying the barbarians? Not to discourage you from religious genocide or anything, mind you.

Wait, I'm supposed to make sense now? Since when and why wasn't I notified of this :p? Anyways, the reason for destroying the barbarians is because they hear voices in their heads, and you know how dangerous crazy people can be. So, in order to prevent the sick from affecting the stability of the Empire, any and all suffers of this disease must be stricken from the surface. Also because it's fun.

OOC: Where does all this leave poor Shu and Liang? :(

~Darkening~ said:
Wait, I'm supposed to make sense now? Since when and why wasn't I notified of this ? Anyways, the reason for destroying the barbarians is because they hear voices in their heads, and you know how dangerous crazy people can be. So, in order to prevent the sick from affecting the stability of the Empire, any and all suffers of this disease must be stricken from the surface. Also because it's fun.

Now time for my own smack:

And we really don't care for anyone who wastes his day in metaphysics. It's useless knowledge. There is only the here and now. Religion serves a purpose in the structure of the State, particularly religions with omnipotent beings that don't need a reason for zapping people. Who says you have to believe it? Very few in Europa City believe in Tomanism (as evidenced by the Tale of Salipo: see prior post). In fact, religion is the most seductive element in society, where men are pulled to a cause without more justification that He said so!

To abandon the most populous religion would be detrimental to the well being of the State. We don't have time for your petty metaphysics. We too are philosophers; philosophers of the State.

Thus, the method to my "madness" in a peanut shell.

Posted by Circuit
I see

Numero Uno: Punctuation and grammar should be your friends :p. That said, I'll make it clear that I have never, not once, claimed to be anything remotely sane; you'll never find such a travesty on this forum! As for your "smack", I'll save myself a headache say that I just don't care. Why should I bother to learn about something that I'm just going to destroy sooner or later :p?

As for Shu and Liang, noting the lack of expansion on the whole issue of Ancestor Worship(tm), you're simply not important enough yet :).

Top Bottom