House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

It's not over yet, but this is undeniably a good thing.
Not entirely. Big companies such as Blizzard are less likely to keep putting out the awesome material Blizzard is known to put out. (wow, Blizzard is sounding exactly like the ideal girlfriend.... :D ) More piracy = less profit = less money to hire decent programmers.

I am amused of some of the wording in the article:

Just like piracy itself, this debate isn’t over. Expect more bills to move forward, although the wording in future legislation is expected to be more narrowly focused in an attempt to appease the current administration.

Not entirely. Big companies such as Blizzard are less likely to keep putting out the awesome material Blizzard is known to put out. (wow, Blizzard is sounding exactly like the ideal girlfriend.... :D ) More piracy = less profit = less money to hire decent programmers.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard is against this legislation.

There is also no correlation between more piracy and less profit, and this legislation is in no way guaranteed to curb piracy. Keep up those strawmen, though. :rolleyes:

That doesn't happen very often. It's good to know Congress still has some sanity left.

Does being forced by constituents to act as if sane, count as sanity? :hmm:

I'm happy for now, but I reserve the right to be angry if he backs down on this one as well.

I guess Politifact has Obama's promise-keeping at around 50% so far, so ... toss a coin.

I guess Politifact has Obama's promise-keeping at around 50% so far, so ... toss a coin.

To be fair, I checked Politifact's website and Obama is at 160 kept and 50 compromised, vs. 56 broken and 65 stalled. So it's a little better than 50/50.

But even then, I don't like everything he promised, so the ratio of stuff he did that Anti likes to everything else is much lower than 50/50.

HORRAY!!!! :clap:

Can congress NOW focus on something important...

...oh like...

...UNEMPLOYMENT!!!!! :mad:

They said at the end that they were doing this despite the backtracking of some American legislators, because PIPA's still a problem, other things are still problem, it's not gone yet, and they want to make a point.

Oh hey, only English Wikipedia is being blacked out. This are some of the advantages of multilingualism.

Now, I'll just have to hope Notch calls off the Minecraft blackout.

Trust me, I hate that, as I have pointed out recently. However, the Patriot Act keeps passing... who will stop it? Romney? You have to work with what you've got.
While I agree with the sentiment, Obama didn't really renew the Patriot Act. He renewed the parts that would allow the government, with permission from a special court, to obtain roving wiretaps over multiple communication devices, seize suspects’ records without their knowledge, and conduct surveillance of a so-called “lone wolf,” or someone deemed suspicious but without any known ties to an organized terrorist group..

Goes a bit far for me, but the key part is "with permission from a special court", so they have to get a warrant for those things. Sure, a "special court" is just wrong. It should be a regular court, not a "special court", but still, it's better than it was, I guess. They used to be able to tap into everyone's records whenever they wanted, for any reason, no court at all, & now it's more focused onto the criteria listed above, & with the "permission of a special court".

Still terrible. Still horribly offensive to people's rights. But, hey, 1) a Gestapo step in the right direction, & 2) as you said, you think Romney will make it better? Lesser of two evils on this issue, I think.

Now PIPA.
Pippa? Anyone who runs on repealing Pippa is gonna lose. Oh, or... what you meant.

They said at the end that they were doing this despite the backtracking of some American legislators, because PIPA's still a problem, other things are still problem, it's not gone yet, and they want to make a point.

PIPA, which is addressed in that document is yet to be voted on if that is of any importance.

Oops, sorry, I could not really understand what they were saying in the thing :blush:

I'm pretty sure Blizzard is against this legislation.
They're saying they're against it. Doesn't mean they're actually against it. Any CEO who publicly says he favors SOPA/PIPA it is going to get flamed to a charcoal crisp.

There is also no correlation between more piracy and less profit
Of course there is. If everybody who has a pirated copy had a legit copy instead, the profit would be higher. Always. I've heard the old saw that "people who pirate were never going to buy it anyway", and that doesn't mean what most people think it does.

Oh, and by the way? You have no idea what a straw man is. In fact, in my last post, a straw man was physically impossible.

They're saying they're against it. Doesn't mean they're actually against it. Any CEO who publicly says he favors SOPA/PIPA it is going to get flamed to a charcoal crisp.

They dont have to say anything.

Of course there is. If everybody who has a pirated copy had a legit copy instead, the profit would be higher. Always. I've heard the old saw that "people who pirate were never going to buy it anyway", and that doesn't mean what most people think it does.

On the other hand, I once decided to buy a back issue of a magazine because I saw some grainy scans online and liked what I was able to decipher (mostly the nice pictures). But the scans were hard to read and I basically said the less family-friendly version of "screw this."

Top Bottom