Capturing small wonders

Theov

Deity
Ok - so I added some small wonders to my game.

Oriental Trading Company; a small wonder that produces a ship of the lines every 5 turns....
So I invate the Persians with the city that I know has their OTC.
I capture the city, but the OTC is demolished.
Sure. It's a small wonder, and they are demolished with capturing. "maybe it was another city!" I hear you say.
Could be, Sherlock, but I have captured all their cities, razes none and still didn't see their OTC. A ship of the line is only built by the Small Wonder.

P: they had a SotL.
C: therefore: they had an OTC.
P: I captured all their cities.
P: I didn't capture their OTC
C: the OTC is demolished upon capturing.

Now then...

Circus Maximus: only under a republic can you build this (like the Secret Police HQ and communism).
So I build one. Yay.

I invade the french. Yay.
I capture their Circus Maximus. Yay... wait. Huh?

Why isn't this wonder demolished upon capturing? :confused:
Is there someone who knows how this works?

Small Wonders, like Improvements are destroyed if they have a cultural value >0. Does the Oriental Trading Company have culture and the Circus Maximus doesn't?
Yes and yes.

Ah so that's it, I didn't know that applied to (small) wonders too. I thought small wonders were destroyed nontheless.
So that's stupid. It means an Iron Works is also destroyed.

So I just need figure out if I want it to survive a capture before I assign culture bonusses to a building.

thanks.

Thanks, this is interesting, especially for unit producing small wonders.

Getting an additional Destroyer Shipyard for example can do some shift in power. :trouble:

I think, that I will remove the culture points from most small wonders, that give units (several shipyards) or production bonus (Great Ironworks). ;)

I think, that I will remove the culture points from most small wonders, that give units (several shipyards) or production bonus (Great Ironworks).

Are you sure? I thought you played a bit like me, no victory conditions. If so, wouldn't it be fun if a civ gained a second powerful unit-producing wonder, and you had to deal with that?

I may even make a unit producing small wonder that allows a civ to make a unit producing great wonder, just so one civ can have a power advantage with that particular unit. Destroyers or tanks would be great options.

I also seem to recall that:
  • If the SW is marked "Allows City Size Level 2 or 3" it will stay regardless of culture.
  • If the Civ hasn't researched the tech that allows the SW it will be destroyed (or maybe it just disappears until the tech's researched). I think this also would apply to government type as well.

*I could be remembering this incorrectly, however...

Top Bottom