Rebirth and Legend

IMHO both of those events should be one, an unidentified astrological sign, and there should be four choices: three alignment-based choices identifying it as Constellation X, Y, or Z and giving you the prophet for the usual cost, and a fourth "too poor to hire astrologers" option that gives you the research bonus.

There's also Good's ability to pick "let her go" when Spies are caught for stacking permanent +1 happiness and, of course, the infamous elven community event where Good gets a free archery range and Ljosalfar archer complete with Dexterous for completely free and everyone else can screw off.

I suppose? The thing is that the former events seem to fire a lot, like, -a lot- while the elven one I have seen maybe once in all playing of AoE, RnL etc. The events could use some balancing/expanding. I don't think it's bad to have events like the Ljosalfar one, or the good/evil events. The problem is there is a Good and Evil prophet event but none whatsoever for Neutrals. I feel making that event just a "whoop, prophet for you" is going too far in the other direction. Honestly, I'd do away with both the events, and make specific religion ones like "The sea flooded our town", Octopus can get a prophet, Lanun can get something for some abstract reason, Khazad can ignore it due to being underground etc. etc.

All in all, I feel events with a lot of varied choice depending on your nation/religion/alliegence like the elf cottage or assassin event are the best of them, since they give more unique feel to each faction.

For the matter, if you want we could probably draft up some variance in events, while modding civ is beyond me, simply editing the events should be doable enough.

#Edit
Crashes are what they are, the problem with this one is that it's only one person that crashes, no matter how we switch races. And before you say it, he reinstalled all of civ and RnL.

I like the idea of the multiple-choice astrologers one. The Neutral one there could be for the sign of Dagda, using the excuse of his precept - balance - to do so. Fluff for in-game consumption would have to be written of course.

For the moment I admit I'm just making notes about events based on what's being said. I'm attempting to find and squash several bugs at once right now. I believe some of the events mentioned though are in the 'More Events' module - if you'd like, go ahead and write tweaks for the events in there - or even make your own events module. It'd be nice to not be the only one making modules for my own modmodmodmod :p.

Just a quick note about events, since it's my original set of skills ^^

if anyone has suggestions or bug reports about the events in the more event module, please send them to me, i'll update the module ( rife version, and ffh too if there's any request for it)

For the constellation events, i'll probably end up coding the system as it was initially intended by kael and co ( one constellation firing up periodically, providing a global (smaller thant currently) effect to everyone). it's currently fourth on my todo list. (i'll make it as easy to merge as possible if you want it for RaL, Derf)

I like the idea of the multiple-choice astrologers one. The Neutral one there could be for the sign of Dagda, using the excuse of his precept - balance - to do so. Fluff for in-game consumption would have to be written of course.

A thought about that event and a neutral option, since neutrality as far as religion goes is not much of a thing in FFH perhaps the best option might be to make the neutral option a great engineer you could also make it so this was the option if your leader is agnostic as well (except for scions as they have their own religion).

Also another fix I did was to add the overwrite and exclude to leash1 promotion as when you get a werewolf that's leashed it's pretty much useless I did not do that with the leash 0 promotions as those tend to be units meant to stand still where as the leash1 I believe are to keep the units near something till it's destroyed but that generally gets broken when you take the unit as a werewolf.

Code:
		<PromotionInfo>		<!-- Werewolf -->
			<Type>PROMOTION_WEREWOLF</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_WEREWOLF</Description>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_WEREWOLF_PEDIA</Help>
			<bNonAbandon>1</bNonAbandon>
			<PromotionExcludes>
				<Promotion>PROMOTION_LEASH_1</Promotion> <!-- #! Remove Leash -->
				<Promotion>PROMOTION_TAME</Promotion>
			</PromotionExcludes>
			<PromotionOverwrites>
			</PromotionOverwrites>
			<PythonPostCombatLost>postCombatLossWerewolf(pCaster, pOpponent)</PythonPostCombatLost>
			<PythonPostCombatWon>postCombatWinWerewolf(pCaster, pOpponent)</PythonPostCombatWon>
			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Werewolf.dds</Button>
			<iMinLevel>-1</iMinLevel>
		</PromotionInfo>
		<PromotionInfo>		<!-- Werewolf - Temp -->
			<Type>PROMOTION_TEMP_WEREWOLF</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_WEREWOLF</Description>
			<Help>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_WEREWOLF_PEDIA</Help>
			<bEffectProm>0</bEffectProm>
			<bFreeUnit>1</bFreeUnit>
			<PromotionExcludes>
			</PromotionExcludes>
			<PromotionOverwrites> 
			</PromotionOverwrites>
			<iPromotionDuration>10</iPromotionDuration>
			<PythonPostCombatLost>postCombatLossWerewolf(pCaster, pOpponent)</PythonPostCombatLost>
			<PythonPostCombatWon>postCombatWinWerewolf(pCaster, pOpponent)</PythonPostCombatWon>
			<UnitCombats>
				<UnitCombat>
					<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_RECON</UnitCombatType>
					<iMaxApplications>0</iMaxApplications>
				</UnitCombat>
			</UnitCombats>
			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Werewolf.dds</Button>
			<bAIControl>1</bAIControl>
			<iMinLevel>-1</iMinLevel>
		</PromotionInfo>

--------------------------

Apparently this bug for modding is catching as I'm now working on the maogata I have added a archer unit and a horse archer unit as I found it quite annoying to have regular archers that didn't fit their racial flavor

The idea I came up with is that since archery or slings don't really fit with their animalistic nature I needed something very different but that at least fit with the skirmisher/rangish theme without really using weapons beyond their bodies/claws. What I came up with is the idea of units using stealth, acrobatics, parkour misdirection and pissing off the enemy and running away to cause havoc and some small damage and create friendly fire among the enemy if possible.

I've got the units working though I think i'll do a bit of tuning and add the other later archer units before I share it.

currently trying to play Rebirth;
I've got a "promotion_human_empyran" in info class incorrect in civ4spellInfos.xml
same for lizard
and for human an lizard_kilmorph
same for tag: Promotion_noquest

and then, on world creation, I can't play... as I'm put in front of a huge wall of text: python exceptions.. (and I can't access the "ok" button)
mostly cvflavourinterface , in warlords/assets/python/system\xmllib.py

... dunno if you can help
I have put the following modules actives : basic + khazad + jotnar + maogata revisited (not yours)..

Edit : I don't have the python exception when I remove jotnar and maogata revisited.... but I still have the xml exceptions

Edit2 : when I re-add jotnar... it breaks again.. so I suppose it comes from that module.

That's very unusual. I'll re-check what I did with the temple founding and make sure I didn't typo anywhere.
I don't touch that particular python file at all, so I'm even more puzzled by that exception, but with it narrowed down I'll see what changes with Jotnar and try to figure out what weirdness is going on here.

thanks.

anyway, I wanted to start RaL by using Maogata revisited, so I won't try jotnar soon :D

but I wanted to let you know;
(it's the first time since 6+years that i looked through the whole cinematics of game start... I couldn't click / nor escape nor enter the whole screen-long py exception wall... which was mostly transparent and allowed to see the cinematic behind :D )

anyway, I agree that it's strange to have a py issue coming from /warlords/assests ... as IIRC, warlords is not even needed to play FFH.

That's what I thought, but then BtS does require Warlords - so perhaps Warlords added something that is being used.
More puzzling, I can't reproduce either at my end, which isn't helping, and I don't have access to another computer to test with - at least not unless I can convince someone else in the house to lend a hand.

Hi Derf

This modmod seems really interesting

I stopped playing ffh2 and moreso MoM as it was incredibly unstable (OOS mainly) during multiplayer.

I now play EiB which is hugely! better, great job to those guys for making such a stable mod online.

I've got a few questions about this mod, that I was hoping you could answer.

1. When I tried to run the mod, 1.3 with the 'Infernal Worker hotfix', I had multiple error messages when I booted the game!? Should I play online with or without this patch (even with error messages?)

2. Is this game based on RifE or EiB or both? The main reason being, will this mod be stable in multiplayer like EiB or unstalbe like ffh2 & MoM etc?

3. Where are Jotnar civilzation, are they to be included at a later stage? I could not see them in the civ selection screen.

4. If this mod is stable like EiB, then it deserves its own forum!

Thanks
James

Rebirth and Legend is an offshoot of RifE, with some bugs fixed so it'll be a bit more stable than original RifE, which, as far as i know, means more stable than MoM.

I don't really know EitB in details, but any offshoots of RifE is probably less stable than EitB, since it seems it was part of the objective of that mod to bring stability to the whole thing.

For the rest, i'll let derf answer

You don't need the hotfix for 1.3 - it was intended to fix an oversight on my part in 1.2, and is thus already included in 1.3. I'll make a quick edit to the install instructions post to clarify that.

Jotnar should be in the disabled modules folder. By default, I leave most modules disabled. You can find them in Rebirth and Legend\Assets\Inactive Modules\Normal Modules.

RaL is based directly on the last released version of RiFE, and benefits from my occasionally remembering to see what bugs the Ashes of Erebus team fix (and those fixed are attributed accordingly), not on Erebus in the Balance - that being said, once I get more time again to work on this, I'll be looking at all the other modmods and seeing where RaL can benefit from them.

I'd like to say it'll be multiplayer-safe and stable, but personal experience tells me that the modular python tends to be a prime cause of this not being the case. Since I lack a second computer to test networked games with, I can't properly test this myself. At the moment I actually lack a computer capable of playing it locally, which as you can imagine is a bit inconvenient.

@derf : regarding the xml exceptions I have :
please note that I installed the "hotfix" ... even over 1.3..

Again, it should be clarified that the hotfix was for 1.2 - not for 1.3. It is already included in 1.3.

yes, I've read that just above... that's whay I'm telling you I made that mistake... so you take it into account when trying to understand the xml / py exceptions I had

Thanks for taking on this project! Your goals look promising, i hope you achieve them!

I play civ through wine so i can use mods on my mac. I can't get this one to work. The rife launcher crashes when i try to launch it. If I try to load Rebirth through the game i get the following errors, then a black screen.
Spoiler :

sounds like you're missing the Bannor Chain of Command Module.
If you don't want it, you can delete the one reference in the base code to it (the apparition of the promo "PROMOTION_CHAIN_OF_COMMAND" in one of the units)

Yeah, that was an issue I ran into whenever I ran it via wine on Linux - for some reason it really doesn't like the Chain of Command module not being loaded. I completely forgot to add that to my todo list.
It's there now so when I can finally get back to developing (Why do computer die on us at the most annoying times?) I remember to fix that.

One of my games crashed when I was playing it so I tried to load the last auto save for it, but it keeps crashing when it's loading the map. Ill attached the save here. Also the modules I am using for the save are BannorChainofCommand, BlackDuke, Climateform-Lizards, Climateform-Malakim, Dural, Dwarves, Frozen, Jotnar, mom-buildings, and MoreEvents.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Turn_0085.CivBeyondSwordSave
    568 KB · Views: 150
I am current playing a 2 player multiplayer (network) game, I am playing Mechanos under Maer, I seem unable to get the ingenuity trait (as an important leader) by starting a golden age (supposedly 50% chance).
I have random seed on reload ON
I have reloaded the game around 10 times, and tried waiting 1-2 turns before triggering the golden age, and waited till 1 turn after the golden age is triggered for the trait dialogue to pop up.

Am I missing something? or has this mechanic been changed, or is Maer simply not tagged for trait gain, in which case, why ever use her over Verocchio, seeing as he has Cha/Ind, and she only has Cha.

I am currently operating the republic civic, does that factor in?

(I have not gained any other traits either)

First major issue in the mod so far, otherwise great work, I am very looking forward to some of your ideas (particularly the Luchiurp one)

Thanks in Advance

Multiplayer doesn't work on steam original release beta. Instantly goes out of sync the moment we load in.

Top Bottom