C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

I disagree as far as one city can only found one religion idea. I don't know where that mechanism is, I assume the dll but it may also be in RevDCM. I'll add it to my list of things to work on.

I am not asking that each city cant have all 26 religions, just that the Holy City should BE in one city, is all, how many Cities even today have Holy Cities in them?

Jerusalem!

Mind you some religions have multiple holy cities in the real world.

No offense to all those that believe but what Holy Cities are in Jerusalem, mind you, having a holy shrine does not make it a city, i believe Jerusalem is only one city? Or am i wrong again:confused:

Andeanism coming late really isn't that inaccurate; the earliest civilization which could conceivably be called Inca, the Kingdom of Cuzco, was formed around the very end of the 12th century AD.

Since I've put out my culture proposals, I figure I might as well re-air my religion proposals again, especially with the potential "genericization" of civs and updating of the culture system;

I keep meaning to respond to your suggestions but keep getting side tracked. Firstly I dislike forcing our history on the game. This may be because I tend to play random maps where my Egyptian nation starts in the polar region so has great difficulty in getting any of the African cultures anyway. This is my main critisism of the whole cultural thing. ;)

Having said that I think it may be a useful and interesting option for people who play Earth maps with original starting points.

I always envisioned it as a game option, don't worry. One of the beauties of this mod is it's modularity, in my opinion. Also, part of the idea is also to spread religions out more evenly, so you avoid what I call "Jerusalem Syndrome", where one civ has 5 holy cities, all in the same city to boot. Limited religions feels artificial, and this in no way precludes scenarios like the spread of Buddhism, Christianity or Islam; it only sets their starting points. You could still have, say, a Ngaiist France or an Asatru Japan; you'd just need to make contact with these cultures to get some converts, so to speak.

It doesn't necessarily entail an Earth map, either; you could have Malinese next to Mayans and the transferrence would work just as well.

What if we linked the religions to the 6 Native Cultures? It would not stop cultures from spreading to other civs but it could force the founding of religions to more historic cultures. For example ...

African
- Kemetism
- Ngaiism
- Voodoo
- Yoruba

American
- Andeanism
- Mormonism
- Naghualism
- Scientology
- Shamanism

Asian
- Buddhism
- Confucianism
- Hinduism
- Jainism
- Taoism
- Shinto
- Sikhism
- Tengriism

European
- Asatru
- Druidism
- Hellenism

Middle Eastern
- Baha'i
- Christianity
- Islam
- Judaism
- Mesopotamianism
- Zoroastrianism

Oceanian
- None

This might spread things out a little better. Thus if you did not have say Native Culture (Middle Eastern) in your city then Christianity would not be founded yet even if you discovered Theology first.

I actually never saw Shamanism as culturally specific- more of a sort of miscellaneous category representing minor animistic religions such as those of the Aborigines, Maori and Amerindians. The big problem, of course, is that Oceania in general is hosed (and they sure don't need it, living in that big ocean of theirs). Perhaps Shamanism could be split into Aboriginal, Amerindian and Polynesian varieties, much like how Ngaiism, Voodoo and Yoruba even the odds for Africa? A form of this is already in place for Druidism (technically an inaccurate name, but probably a better one than "Celtic Mythology") and Tengriism.

This might also change depending on how my proposals for cultural evolution pan out; cultures would be far more closely linked to each other and some "ancestrally independent" civs would get their cultures from the start, like Persia (a reserved seat to get Zoroastrianism), China (Confucianism and Taoism), Mongolia (Tengriism), India (Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism, though the last was not addressed in my proposal since it was created before Sihkism was added), Ceylon, that fictitious Southeast Asian country, Japan (Shinto), Korea, Nubia and Polynesia (obviously, they'd get a reservation for any future Polynesian or Maori religion), with others serving as "progenitors" to the other civs, such as the Proto Indo Europeans, Semites and Clovis Culture.

What if we linked the religions to the 6 Native Cultures? It would not stop cultures from spreading to other civs but it could force the founding of religions to more historic cultures. For example ...

I like the idea, though Europe becomes tough, and Australia is hosed (as Praetyre already said). Two questions:

- Can this be made optional, for those who don't like it?
- Maybe we can also tweak the idea, saying this is "just a preference". Like if you found a religion for being the first to discover Ritualism and you are European, you get Druidism instead, or Helenism, or Asratu. If all these are already founded you get whatever religion is the default for that Tech.

Another idea might be to link it to terrain, if that is possible. Druidism for example might need a forest, Judaism Desert, Teengrism Plains (even Horses, but that might make it tough to get?) and so on.

Maybe we could make both an option; one the "regional" version, the other "cultural". I'm assuming that with the upcoming (?) notion of techs founding religions, along with certain techs only coming from certain buildings or :gp:, it wouldn't be too hard to do and seperate.

Perhaps Shamanism could be split into Aboriginal, Amerindian and Polynesian varieties

Maybe there really should be one variant of Shamanism for each Cultural Region. They could all be triggered by the same tech. Druidism seems to be quite similar and might qualify as the "European" variant. (even if it is triggered by a different tech)

Wikipedia lists "Shinto" under Shamanism. So we might have an Asian Version as well.

This might spread things out a little better. Thus if you did not have say Native Culture (Middle Eastern) in your city then Christianity would not be founded yet even if you discovered Theology first.

This is a nice idea

Shinto is a specifically Japanese variant of Buddhism, much like Zen; similarily, Druidism (druids or no) is a thing of Celtic cultures (France, Ireland, Scotland, Portugal, Wales...)

@Hydro here are some more graphics to be turned into icons. It is taking a bit longer than I thought due to me getting vision migranes this week. :(

@Hydro here are some more graphics to be turned into icons. It is taking a bit longer than I thought due to me getting vision migranes this week. :(

Ok. I will try to do them asap. Been busy with the broken aircraft and ship button icons that were poorly done.

Anyone know a game that has nice icons of aircraft? Been trying to see if I could find better ones that they have now too.

EDIT: Done. (See Attachment)

Ok. I will try to do them asap. Been busy with the broken aircraft and ship button icons that were poorly done.

Anyone know a game that has nice icons of aircraft? Been trying to see if I could find better ones that they have now too.

EDIT: Done. (See Attachment)

Thank you and here are some more. 8 more later to finish.

Top Bottom