V37

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far off v37 are we?

If we are going to break saves by "fixing" all the things we have not touched because they would break games then we need to get it done before the freeze.

For example, Traits I reckon we should just have
  • default - Developing Leaders
  • static traits (just the one, whatever is the default now)
  • no traits (what I currently play with)

but to do that we need to decide how many levels each trait will have and add in the extra levels. We only have the first level so far.

We also need some way to link objects (buildings, units and promotions) to a trait or trait level. EG require trait Aggressive 3 or Military 2 to build FoG Fanatics.

We're still quite a ways off if you want traits to be redesigned before release. A long long long ways off.

But we are getting a lot done here regardless.

I have numerous goals in addition to the remainder of the list on pg 1 here. Most of these unlisted ones are tags and small requested projects.

But a number of new AI types are on that list and that's a hugely important thing for me to do before release. Then there's work to catch up to the Sea stuff that isn't listed either. And we need to wait for the art team to redress the new units as well.

I'd love to see traits become a part of this cycle though. So let's see how that goes once everything else I have on the plate is sown up.

On that subject, if you want 5 levels to each trait, I'm going to need to make the ability to select traits much more frequent than it currently is.

Three levels are fine. I know nothing about traits but it seemed the best way of getting the Faces of God mod buildings in game. It will need pedia work so that the set of traits as chosen by the option are the ones shown.

One of the things that will break save games if fixing the options. Making those that must be on no longer options and removing them from the list of options and the XML as well. So if we are going to break saves it is something we will need to do.

Three levels are fine. I know nothing about traits but it seemed the best way of getting the Faces of God mod buildings in game. It will need pedia work so that the set of traits as chosen by the option are the ones shown.

One of the things that will break save games if fixing the options. Making those that must be on no longer options and removing them from the list of options and the XML as well. So if we are going to break saves it is something we will need to do.

Agreed. The pedia should be fine with additional traits. That was hammered out by AIAndy and I a while back so that it will show all traits, regardless of selected option. Not quite as convenient when IN game but in the pedia at the opening screen when an option is defined as it was last selected he made a good point that all should be shown. However, IIRC, each listing does state the option or lack thereof, that they work with.

If designed carefully we should be fine with just one set of traits for all three options.

- Developing traits with 3 levels each uses all traits
- Fixed traits uses only the first (or second) level of these traits
- No traits uses none

Traits can be different for the Fixed (non-developing) set. They should be more potent since they are the only ones you'd get thoughout the game.

I assumed that the static traits would be the same as the highest level trait in the Developing Leaders set. I also assumed that the levels would be additive in that level 3 would mean you had everything in level 2 and 1 of that trait.

Traits can be different for the Fixed (non-developing) set. They should be more potent since they are the only ones you'd get thoughout the game.

They CAN be different, I just thought that it would be less confusing for newer players if they are. They you'd only need to display one set of traits in the pedia and don't have to worry about what happens with the traits from the not selected option.

In the pedia I would display the static traits if before the game is loaded and then either the static traits or the developing ones depending on the game option selected.

Any of these would be preferred to the myraid Trait Option selections we have now. Reduction of options would be a Plus here.

JosEPh

I assumed that the static traits would be the same as the highest level trait in the Developing Leaders set. I also assumed that the levels would be additive in that level 3 would mean you had everything in level 2 and 1 of that trait.
This might be too strong. I'm hoping that at the highest level of development on devel traits, you'd be a bit stronger from the 3rd lvl than you would if you had the more mid-range static values of the core set.

Yes, they'd all be additive for sure.

They CAN be different, I just thought that it would be less confusing for newer players if they are. They you'd only need to display one set of traits in the pedia and don't have to worry about what happens with the traits from the not selected option.
The problem is game balance. If you have the ability to ramp up the strength of a trait through development you can make the earlier ones more appropriate to the early game while allowing later ones to have a greater impact later when it's not as potent in light of all the rest of the tallies going on. But with static traits they'd need to take a more middle of the road approach so as not to overwhelm the early game but still retain value later on. The static ones would rate closer to the original traits in CivIV but we have a lot more wiggle room with developed scales.

In the pedia I would display the static traits if before the game is loaded and then either the static traits or the developing ones depending on the game option selected.
Probably optimal. Probably not impossible. The problem is that options are remembered in the pedia based on the last used options so it would take a special identifier in use to filter that a game is or is not in play.

nothing to my knowledge but a stock market would rule. like mercencies in warlords were units can be purchased in a free market with technoloiges and resources to the extreme a city. auction off the city or make a lotto centre for a random receiver if only there were a way to sell espinoge points on an intruder with a banditry civic.

nothing to my knowledge but a stock market would rule. like mercencies in warlords were units can be purchased in a free market with technoloiges and resources to the extreme a city. auction off the city or make a lotto centre for a random receiver if only there were a way to sell espinoge points on an intruder with a banditry civic.

Do you have this coded out to work properly?

JosEPh

I think we're on the way towards completing v37's cycle here. I need to take a full inventory of all the remaining lesser bugs that have not been addressed yet but as far as development forward, I'm quite happy to say I'm pretty much done for now. I reviewed my list here: V37 and as much as I would like to improve the AI, it may well be easier to do that as part of a more AI dedicated development cycle entirely. I'm thinking we let it be what it is for now, weak but still very playable. And the things I wanted to address for this version were based on the review done this version and those things, while important, probably aren't as important as the more core military matters, which I would want to address next cycle. I am thinking the next highest priority for the mod itself is to make sure we get the rest of the unit reviews, land and sea, completed so that the platform for so many other projects is fully established and in place and needing little to no further tweaking.

I have been working on my traits as well. Hard to say if they can make it into the final v37 but I'm thinking for stability's sake, they should perhaps be the first portion of the v38 development cycle to put those into action. I'm pretty sure some of the tags for traits will need a little work and a lot more work on sorting out the building categories will be necessary before I can really get them in play anyhow.

So at this point, I'm basically just working on bugs, and maybe some documentation for v37 release. I'd love to see v37 released by Christmas.

Where's everyone else at?

I would really like it if we could have Developing Leaders as the default but I can see that that is not going to happen.

We need to go through and fix the naming of the techs (will break some games sort of) and perhaps the same for the buildings (will break games probably). I tried to look at the Obelisk problem only to find
Code:
            <!-- Monument -->
            <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_OBELISK</BuildingClass>
            <Type>BUILDING_OBELISK</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MONUMENT</Description>
            <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_NEW_BUILDING_MONUMENT_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
            <Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MONUMENT_STRATEGY</Strategy>

which makes it difficult to figure out which is the real obelisk and which is the real monument :lol:

Also the wonders are all over the place when it comes to cost. Most are way too cheap.

I would really like it if we could have Developing Leaders as the default but I can see that that is not going to happen.
Within a month or two we could be there but there's too much testing and fixing to expect to want to stuff it in before v37 is released. It's ok... v37 shouldn't be our last and final version of course. I just think we've gone on with this cycle for far too long as it is at this point.

As for the index names, I can work on the BUILDING ones once I've mapped out what leads to what name. It's a project I am working on as I go here. Will make it very easy to see which ones have discord there.

You're right about costs... that's one big reason I'm getting impatient to work on the units too.

I'm ready for v37.

JosEPh

I would like for us to merge some of the stuff into core that we feel should be there. This means for the most part the stuff in the My_Mods folder. We need to know that it has been tested properly etc.
  • Bead_Toy_Pottery this reduces the number of cities that can have some buildings. It only goes as far as the medieval era so far so we will need to do some more on this for the guild and industry eras in later releases. I have not had any feed back on it so don't know if anyone has even noticed the changes.

• Brackenspore and Brackenspore_Techs - these have highlighted some cost discrepancies in the wonders but I think they are ready to merge. Not all suggestions by Brackenspore have made it into the game partly due to inconclusive discussions on some and lack of time to do others.

• Burial_Traditions - I have just discovered a minor timing issue with one of the buildings

• Concrete - this is an optional tech that requires a building somewhere in your city before you can research it. I have tested it and it appears to work fine with the tech tree.

• Herds - this is a work in progress so should stay here until complete. It allows subdued/tamed/etc animals to possibly place a resource on the map. Not all animals have been done yet.

• Merchant_Promotions - very new

• Neanderthal_Units

• New_Cultures

• Settlers fix free buildings - this gives back the free buildings to settlers at a given tech. Most of this was done before. It replaces the Colonist and Pioneer unit functionality that was only working for players and not for the AI
I need to move a lot of animal stuff into core also.

Bead_Toy_Pottery this reduces the number of cities that can have some buildings. It only goes as far as the medieval era so far so we will need to do some more on this for the guild and industry eras in later releases. I have not had any feed back on it so don't know if anyone has even noticed the changes.
I'm beginning to get some playtesting in now but the theory was tremendously solid imo.
Brackenspore and Brackenspore_Techs - these have highlighted some cost discrepancies in the wonders but I think they are ready to merge. Not all suggestions by Brackenspore have made it into the game partly due to inconclusive discussions on some and lack of time to do others.
I'll let you be the judge.
Burial_Traditions - I have just discovered a minor timing issue with one of the buildings
There seems to be a burial tradition (bone) that comes up after the city has selected one of the others. I'm finding that confusing. Is that the timing issue?
Concrete - this is an optional tech that requires a building somewhere in your city before you can research it. I have tested it and it appears to work fine with the tech tree.
I like this. A good start to more like it. Since it works, it could allow us to require a GP for a tech - the GP would give the prerequisite building which allows the tech to be researched. I'd LOVE to see the punk techs converted to this method.
Herds - this is a work in progress so should stay here until complete. It allows subdued/tamed/etc animals to possibly place a resource on the map. Not all animals have been done yet.
We also need unit animals to represent the unrepresented animal resources to flesh this out. So yeah, agreed.
Neanderthal_Units
A WIP that needs a little time yet before a freeze cuts it off. Sparth is helping me with this.

There seems to be a burial tradition (bone) that comes up after the city has selected one of the others. I'm finding that confusing. Is that the timing issue?
I maybe using a place holder name there, it is the practice of separating out the bones after the flesh has gone the Capuchin Crypt wonder is a spectacular example of this.

No it is the Mummification one which becomes available at the same time, currently it reduces the cost of The Pyramids but for most cities becomes available long after it can be built. I will probably have The Pyramids increase the culture of this building making it a two way effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom