Suggestion: Boni for AI instead of just penalities for player (Settler)

Terxpahseyton

Nobody
Civ4 Difficulties work by giving the player boni (lesser than noble) or penalties (beyond noble).

The C2C AI isn't very competitive, however, I dislike going beyond Emperor on the difficulty slider since, while making the game harder, it makes it harder by - among other things - messing up my cities with crime and health issues. And that kinda puts the fun out of it for me. I want the AI to be strong, not so much myself being weak and a mess.

A simple way to circumvent this is already a core mechanic of the game - it just is not directly accessible to use it the way needed.

Which is to simply give the AI the boni the player receives on the easy difficulty levels.

It already is pretty simple to do, out of game. A quick modification of a worldbuilder-savefile will do the job.

What I suggest is to make this an in-game-option so that it is more convenient and I suppose more importantly so that everyone becomes aware of that option and those illiterate in wbfile-edits have access as well.

No idea how easy or hard that is to do. I think it should be easy. But then sometimes on the surface easy things can be surprisingly hard to code.

If you vary the difficulty level for the AI, you basically have to write a separate AI for every AI difficulty level. A "one size fits all" AI would be either insufficient (wasteful) or inadequate for different AI difficulty levels. In other words, it would make the AI perform even worse (relatively).
If it is hard to get one AI to work, how much harder is it to get several AIs to work?

What does it matter if it performs worse, relatively, when it still performs better absolutely, for the merit of this proposal?
Nothing, wouldn't you say?
And that being so, you don't "have to" write different AIs for different difficulties. It just would be a further but unrealistic and unnecessary bonus.

Top Bottom