Civ Specific Great People

How would you like the Great People Names?

• Civ specific sounds interesting!

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Nah leave it as it is.

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters

Hoplite191

Chieftain
Does anybody else think that the names of Great people should be Civ specific. This way there would be a higher diversity of names and more people to learn about. It would be interesting to learn about all the different people that contributed and changed the Civilization we are playing as. It might even inspire more people as we no longer have just the mainstream ones but also the less known about ones. Please vote on whether or not you are a fan of this idea.

The problem with this idea is that many civs don't have certain great people, how many Aztec scientists can you name? Korean generals? Zulu merchants?

Good point Lokit.I voted leave it as is.But your thought is interesting.But also alot of research goes into the game.I want the Developers to focus on the game itself.Not details like this.good thought.

Perhaps a better solution would be to make Great Leaders into continental groups? So Zulu and Morocco would both get African Great People, Aztecs and Inca would get Native American Great People, etc. It's not perfect but it seems like the best of both worlds.

I don't even notice the names anymore. Besides the general, great people get used within 3 seconds when they appear and after use they might as well be dead. If this change was made, I wouldn't notice. A shame really, because I like having unique units that last a while named, as I might do for units with a specific set up upgrades to distinguish them, or I might name a great general to help me organize what war front he is on.

The idea sounds very interesting, but I think it would be extremely hard to implement simply because we don't know of many Babylonian Great Musicians or Mayan Great Merchants.

Perhaps a better solution would be to make Great Leaders into continental groups? So Zulu and Morocco would both get African Great People, Aztecs and Inca would get Native American Great People, etc. It's not perfect but it seems like the best of both worlds.

That seems like a good idea...as long as when your name list runs out, you start pulling from other name lists.

So that they don't Need to add more names.

First, I'd like to point out that this would require modding, obviously, so someone who really wants this to happen should open a thread in the C&C forums.
That really does seem like the only viable way to go. But it would probably be easier on the modders to group by artstyles, not continents. That way, you get, "South American" (which Mayans, Iroquois and Aztecs use, so I have no idea why it's 'south' American and not just, say, 'American'), "European", "Greco-Roman", "Middle Eastern" and "Asian" groups. I'm not sure if there are any Lua functions for detecting a civilization's continent, but there sure is one to detect its artstyle.

Please, tell me of the great Hunnic merchants and Scientists who graced the ruins of their conquest. ;)

Please, tell me of the great Hunnic merchants and Scientists who graced the ruins of their conquest. ;)
*Goes through a list of important Hunnic people*

How about Ardaric?
Wikipedia said:
Ardaric (died around 460) was the king of the Gepids, a Germanic tribe closely related to the Goths. He was "famed for his loyalty and wisdom", one of the most trusted adherents of Attila the Hun, who "prized him above all the other chieftains". After Attila's death, Ardaric led the rebellion against Attila's sons and routed them in the Battle of Nedao, thus ending the Huns' supremacy in Eastern Europe.

Or perhaps Onegesius?
Wikipedia said:
Onegesius (Priscus: Όνηγήσιος) was a noble of Hunnic or Scythian origin and one of the principal advisers of Attila the Hun. Onegesius was Western Roman. He was captured and Attila the Hun spared his life and brought him to the capital to join his court.

After this Attila made him his Minister and Warlord. Also known as Hunigis, Hunigisios or Hunigasius.
Not really scientists per se, but probably less bloodthirsty then their friends. That's a start, I guess... :rolleyes:

Not only would a lot of civs not have the right great people at all, the names as is also allows way more nations than in the game to get a little recognition. So no.

My rule of thumb is that the names are nothing more than "aestethics" element that you see for maximum of maybe 10 turns if not less.. (say you could bulb and save the GWAMs, but you usually expend the others as soon as you get them)

My logic for the random names is that they are ethnic, they just chose to betray their motherland or have "moved" to other nations..

Take Albert Einstein or Nikola Tesla, both of different ethnic backgrounds yet they are more or less American. (well, I think Einstein actually stayed in Germany, but from what I recall Nikola Tesla actually got his fame in America).

Good solution. I'm all for it. I'm sure one can find people for each continental region or racial group, whether or not they're truly "great" people, whatever. It's better than getting Maurice Ravel the Siamese Rock Star in 1972, unless you're into that.

I like your idea its pretty good. I just thought it would be interesting to learn more about the Great People. I am interested in that sort of thing and getting a Great Person who i know little about always prompts me to look up and read about their achievements.

And to the guy that said that Nikola Tesla achieved more fame in America. I say though he did he was still ridiculed by Americans. He was not granted the right to be called the inventor of Radio until after his death and after another person stole his ideas trying to say they were his own. But that is off topic.

Also AgressiveWimp nice find!

Part of the fun of the game is to get the most ironic Great Person possible. I'm still in doubt as to what it actually is. So, I'm opposed to it on the grounds that it is absolutely hilarious.

The Persian Leonidas is the first that comes to mind.

Take Albert Einstein or Nikola Tesla, both of different ethnic backgrounds yet they are more or less American. (well, I think Einstein actually stayed in Germany, but from what I recall Nikola Tesla actually got his fame in America).

Tesla was born in Serbia, went to France briefly, then came to America. He then got ripped off by Edison, got semi-famous by inventing 99% of the stuff we take for granted today (and had most of that ripped off by other people, like Marconi), and then his OCD got the better of him and he died in utter obscurity amongst his pigeons.

But on-topic: @KingOfBigOz makes a good point. In-game, a Great Person might make great discoveries/constructions/works of art/etc. in one Civilization (the civ they were "born in") but you could imagine that they actually came from another Civ.

Top Bottom