Random map more random than Shuffle?

Circuit

Writing Letters
Quick question: is it possible to pick a map script that is truly random, more random than Shuffle? I think Shuffle still limits itself to Pangaea, Continents and Archipelligo, but I would like a map script that chooses from all possible maps, such as Big Islands, Small Continents, etc., and maybe even some scripts I've installed. Is there a way for the game to choose a map in this manner?

Yup, just go into Advanced Options, and select "Random Map Type". This randomizes everything about the map and selects any map on your map list except for Earth. Shuffle can also select Fractal, IIRC.

Yup, just go into Advanced Options, and select "Random Map Type". This randomizes everything about the map and selects any map on your map list except for Earth. Shuffle can also select Fractal, IIRC.

Sorry to necro this, but is this confirmed? As in, more than personal observations? I've been asking this question for ages and have only seen speculation and personal experience (your answer ends with "IIRC"...). I don't know, but I've never gotten anything wacky like Donut or Arborea or Great Plains from using Random Map Type.

I really wish someone could dig up the code or something and tell us once and for all what the heck these two options do. I always use one of them and I never know what I'm really getting into. Most of the time it seems to be a pangea or a continents type map.

For a while I thought Shuffle was its own script, or is that Random Map Type? Or are neither of these their own scripts, i.e. they really do pick from the list?

Bumping this...

The game has been out long enough now that someone somewhere should be able to define with absolute certainty (not just observation) what exactly a Shuffle Map and a Random Map produce. I get that Shuffle chooses a random map AND randomizes world age, temperature, etc. where Random just chooses a random map. My exact question is which map types each can choose from? For example, will Shuffle possibly select Sandstorm, Boreal, etc. or is it limited to pangeae/continents/archipelago?

Pretty sure Random Map Type just chooses one of Continents/Pangea/Archipelago/Fractal. Shuffle is just a map with very little script and all core settings randomized I believe, not something that will choose scripted maps at random (like Sandstorm, Arborea or whatever).

What I do is I roll a d60 on random.org to choose my map (depending on which DLC you have it might be less or more but you get the idea).

To the first part, that makes perfect sense. Thankyou!

However, my simple brain isn't quite getting the second part. First, you are saying that is a workaround to include Sandstorm, Boreal, etc. Am I understanding you correctly? Second, how are you entering in the random number into Civ when starting a new game? I knew that was a thing back in Civ3 but haven't seen it in 5.

Oh, and an even dumber question, what do you mean by "d60"? Generating random numbers and random.org in particular aren't things I frequently do.

d60 just means a dice with 60 faces, which probably doesn't exist but it's a figure of speech, I mean that random.org will generate a number between 1 and 60. It's not something that works in the game, but if I roll a 35, I'll pick the 35th map in the list.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "workaround" ? I don't know precisely how the Shuffle map works, but I think it is close to being a "truly random" map, as in every hex is generated with no regards to other hexes around it. I don't think it's entirely random because that wouldn't be very playable, but it's the closest there is to that.

Okay, I misunderstood.

In some previous Civ games each map had a number assigned to it (there were a finite number of maps). If you wanted to play a map that you'd played before or if you just wanted to play a random map then you could enter a number and play that map. I thought you were saying that you were doing that in Civ5 to play random maps which include Sandstorm, Boreal, etc. Anyway, I get what you're saying.

Random maps are always Pangeas for me. Always.

So... Shuffle is actually its own script?

It must be, because although they both choose random maps, shuffle also changes the settings of the world itself, such as age, weather and sealevel. Random map doesn't randomly juggle those settings.

Top Bottom