Best vanilla civ for culture victory?

ZeroxSP7

Chieftain
My thoughts are Egypt and France with the culture boost and wonder spam. What does the community think?

I would go with Egypt and spam wonders.

The Aztecs would be interesting. You could warmonger and get culture at the same time.

France's unique improvement and UA are geared towards cultural victory, so they're quite fun. Depending on your land, Polynesia are in with a shout. Chaining those Moais can net you a lot of tourism once you start getting hotels.

But if you only have either Vanilla or G&K and thus have old cultural victory, then the easyist thing is a semi-OCC and spam world wonders. Within the Vanilla civs, Egypt has a production bonus doing this. If you have Polynesia DLC, then on a Tiny Islands map they can get a lot of culture from tiles.

I don't have any DLC civs. I don't have BNW or G&K either. So I'm stuck with vanilla only

I'd go with either Egypt or the Aztecs. As others have said, wonder spamming is the way to win and Egypt is great at that. The Aztecs offer a different approach which involves the tall core (boosted by the Floating Gardens) and a puppet empire. The culture from conquering will help push through the 5 trees, plus the puppet cities will produce culture without increasing the policy costs

Moderator Action: Vanilla prefix added to thread.

I don't have any DLC civs. I don't have BNW or G&K either. So I'm stuck with vanilla only

I played Civ 5 vanilla for years. Egypt is your best bet for cultural victory, get marble and a bunch of quarries and crank out wonders, and ally with every cultural CS ASAP.

Nice. Trying out Egypt for that. Which policy should I start off with? Tradition or liberty? Or is there a specific order I should go through?

I like to open Tradition, then complete Liberty, then come back to Tradition when legalism does you the most good.

Nice. Trying out Egypt for that. Which policy should I start off with? Tradition or liberty? Or is there a specific order I should go through?

Tradition to get the early culture per turn. Also it doesn't hurt to get increased production towards wonders. Yes, even with Egypt.

I see. At what point do you start expanding? Is it a wide civ since you're going liberty or tall?

I see. At what point do you start expanding? Is it a wide civ since you're going liberty or tall?

In context of a cultural victory for Vanilla, the free settler you get from the Liberty policy should be the ONLY other city you ever found. Any additional self founded cities just slow you down by (in later game after you've built a ton of WW in the capital and allied every cultural city state) not paying for themselves. Conquests though are always ok since you leave all of them as puppets which are exempt from the increase.)

5 policy trees were needed, starting with the Tradition-Liberty combo mixing up the order to first get Tradition opener, then Liberty opener, then free settler & worker, then picking from both in a manner until you reach tech for the cultural building (Legalism would go to waste in vanilla if you already had built all cultural buildings you had the tech for), then Legalism, then finish both trees. 3rd tree always full Piety. 4th tree always full Freedom, and final tree whatever you want as the fifth one doesn't really matter.

If you're planning the whole "puppet empire" thing, Honor is a decent 5th tree; otherwise, I'm pretty sure I went Patronage most of the time. Rationalism is solid because it'll help push you closer to the wonders, but tech is always good. It's just a matter of preference.

vanilla culture VC is about completing 5 policy trees. Siam and Persia are also very good for it. Siam will use Patronage as one of the 5 trees and get lots of culture bonuses from CSs. Ally Culture CSs ASAP. Persia can make use of Golden Ages for massive swaths of bonuses for extended periods of time. You can send yourself into 80+ turns of consecutive Golden age bonuses if you time wonders (Chichen Itza, any wonder that starts a GA), policies and bulb your GPs for golden ages. they also get early combat bonuses during GAs for Immortals (UU). (all GPs can bulb for Golden Ages in vanilla.) They might not be Egypt level but are great nonetheless for Culture VCs.

In context of a cultural victory for Vanilla, the free settler you get from the Liberty policy should be the ONLY other city you ever found.

If this were strictly true, why not delete the free settler? Even with Vanilla, you get a policy that is +33% culture for any city with a World Wonder. So for sure plan to do that. One city needs to be close to mountain, so that alone could justify a 3rd city. Puppet cities with Wonders are especially valuable because they don't raise the policy cost, but are still eligible for that +33% bonus.

5 policy trees were needed, starting with the Tradition-Liberty combo mixing up the order to first get Tradition opener, then Liberty opener, then free settler & worker, then picking from both in a manner until you reach tech for the cultural building (Legalism would go to waste in vanilla if you already had built all cultural buildings you had the tech for), then Legalism, then finish both trees. 3rd tree always full Piety. 4th tree always full Freedom,

I think Siam are the best for a cultural victory, I tend to hard build/buy temples and libraries just in time to take legalism giving free wat's (universities) in your Cities. Patronage is the fifth Policy tree you would need playing as Siam, again mixing the Policies as you see fit.

Top Bottom