Refusing the King

Colonel_Flagg

Chieftain
Since I've seen this in a bunch of different threads, I thought we should just compile it into one.

So it seems to be established that refusing the King does not affect the REF. However, it does give you a negative point in relations to the king. A majority of people believe that it is thus pointless to ever give the king money.

The only point of relations it seems is trying to get veteran soldiers from the king for a MUCH cheaper price. This is evidenced by the fact that when you get too many troops from him, you get a "You're a drain on my military" negative effect on relations, and he stops giving them to you.

So, is this an appropriate effect? Should there be more or less of an effect? Do you prefer to buy veteran soldiers and cannons, or having militia with guns bought from Europe?

I'm not 100% certain of this, but I think that the worse your relations with the King are, the faster he raises your tax rate as well.

You can of course also refuse the tax increases , but then you can trade fewer and fewer resources with him. It's a trade-off all around.

Dale confirmed that a bit ago, in fact - the relations do cause some of the tax rate increases.

The attitude effect on taxes is a very minor one. It doesn't really affect timings all that much. It does have an influence, but not enough to matter in my opinion.

The amount you have traded is what counts more for tax raises.

anyone else find the whole scene when you kiss the ring annoying ?

the big smucker and people sounds was neat once.. but in a little bit, its going to be very annoying

anyone else find the whole scene when you kiss the ring annoying ?

the big smucker and people sounds was neat once.. but in a little bit, its going to be very annoying

It's meant to annoy you, that way it gives you an extra incentive to rebel. ;)

As far as I see, as long as king is not annoyed, you can ask to buy troops from him for a discount (he'll offer vetran soliders or cannons for 50% cost).

So not refusing a king is a good thing if you want to buy troops. You really don't want another negative modifier exempt "your troops drain my economy" (or whatever it's called). And that negative expires over time.

Can we improve the relation with the King, how can we do this, if we say yes to all taxes and payments does it improve the relation?

It might surprise you to know that Monarchy in the olden days were real @%#@#%

It would seem that it wont hurt to accept ridiculous sums like 10-50 gold to get less demerits but if the king demands more than a 1000 you might as well reject him.

The amount you have traded is what counts more for tax raises.

Could you explain this a bit more? By amount do you mean physical numbers as in for every 1000 goods sold the king will raise taxes? Or by amount do you mean value as in for every $1000 profit, the king raises taxes.

And what is the exact amount that will trigger a raise?

Genv [FP];7285441 said:
It might surprise you to know that Monarchy in the olden days were real @%#@#%

You sound like you are speaking from experience; can I get some of whatever drugs you are taking?

I'm Pacal the II. I know what being a absolute ruler is like.

It's frickin awesome.

You sound like you are speaking from experience; can I get some of whatever drugs you are taking?

i have a time machine for sale on ebay so you can figure this one out for yourself quit easily!!

as for the kissing thing, ya it's anoying, and of course it's repetitive, and yes i understand that's the point but how much kissing can you take before you get fed up with it and still be 200% behind in capacity to revolt.

aaaww that damn monarch music and kiss and crowd-awe sound is just gettin to me! stop it already!!!!

I love how the kings are portrayed in col2.

George looks absolutely insane like the incarnation of greed and Willem looks like a feverish drug addict. Louis is his usual pompous self (haven't checked the spanish king yet :p).

Global Defines:

It appears that TAX_TRADE_THRESHOLD (200 GOLD) determines when a tax rate could occur. TAX_INCREASE_CHANCE (20 %) is a random factor determining whether the tax rate is actually increase. There is a TAX_TRADE_THRESHOLD_TAX_RATE_PERCENT (1000) that I have no idea and a TAX_TRADE_THRESHOLD_ATTITUDE_PERCENT (100) that I have no idea about, though I assume they factor into an inflation type model where the base 200 GOLD increases based upon various factors interacting with those values.

It would also be interesting to know what determines the amount the king wants to raise taxes.
There's a big difference between 1-2% and 7-8% in one raise.

Top Bottom