Votes: 57 9.4%

Votes: 92 15.2%

Votes: 93 15.3%

Votes: 40 6.6%

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Polycrates couldn't have put it in a better way.

But more than that, I sort of feel that civ kind of slipped into a rut where micromanagement was more important than macromanagement, where to win at Immortal it was all about managing your hammers so that you only had 6 hammers (epic speed) so that you could whip 2 pop instead of 1 at a time to rush that axeman and have maximum spillover production for the next one etc; and that it was all about sweating the small details at the expense of the big picture of running a whole empire - like you were playing the role of ten mayors taped together instead of an emperor. And sweating the details like that really makes it much clearer that you're playing the game's idiosyncratic mechanics rather than actually managing an empire. It was more about knowing the rules than anything else.

This. Exactly this. Especially this.
V is just real civ instead of min-max+micromanagement.

Oh, and now come the hordes of users calling us fanboys... Again.

I've been playing the series since Civ2.

Civ 5 can be improved, but many new aspects are very good, such as the one unit per tile rule, several changes to resource management, etc. (you'll find the complete list with a quick search).

I loved Civ4 and Civ5 is missing some nice traits that Civ4 did have, but overall Civ5 is a good game with its own personality.

Rationally I'd give it a 7, but because it really hooked me beyond my expectations, I feel it deserves an 8

But more than that, I sort of feel that civ kind of slipped into a rut where micromanagement was more important than macromanagement, where to win at Immortal it was all about managing your hammers so that you only had 6 hammers (epic speed) so that you could whip 2 pop instead of 1 at a time to rush that axeman and have maximum spillover production for the next one etc; and that it was all about sweating the small details at the expense of the big picture of running a whole empire - like you were playing the role of ten mayors taped together instead of an emperor. And sweating the details like that really makes it much clearer that you're playing the game's idiosyncratic mechanics rather than actually managing an empire. It was more about knowing the rules than anything else.

I guess part of it was that I just found that your Paradox games and Dwarf Fortresses etc could really scratch that micromanagement itch in a much more satisfying way than Civ could; and that Civ V really feels like it brings back the feeling of making real leadership decisions, each of which is important and meaningful; rather than thousands of tiny, inconsequential decisions that felt more like just gaming the system. I think that Civ V has a lot more complexity than it's given credit for, it's just that it's taken away the tedious micromanagement that masquerades as complexity, but which is really just a tedious weaselly way to eke out an advantage over a bonus-heavy AI by hundreds of iterations of petty stuff that doesn't matter, rather than by using better grand strategy. Civ V is more about working the big-picture level of empire management, and I think it is improved by it.

I agree with aatami this is a GREAT POST! Interesting that my personal taste towards Civ-5 is the opposite of Polycrates and aatami, I rated Civ-5 at 4, because I just don't enjoy it and there are lots of games I would play over it. For my tastes I prefer Civ-4 with BTS and the C2C mod. The micromanagement and min-max described by Polycrates is kind of what I'm looking for; easy decisions to make casually while I watch a narrative unfold. For me Civ has always been more about a narrative and as a gamer I am probably, well, wimpy! But this post really captured why I like Civ-4, and ALSO suggests a way to approach Civ-5 outside my method for previous Civ games (played since Civ-1 on 5.25" disks).

I've got a honkin' big 'puter coming in a few days and I will load 4 and 5 on it. I'm pretty sure that 4 will be the gaming experience that I want, but I will read this post again the next time I have a go at 5. And I will try to approach 5 with this new approach.

Thank you Polycrates. I am sure you spent a lot of time crafting this post, and your effort is appreciated.

- WtW

Voted 5 - While it has replay value it isnt that great. It just seems to me that every game ends up pretty much the same: a massive nustercluck of wars, no trading, resource issues, ICS and a craptastic AI. The game just feels so linear compared to other CiVs. There just doesnt seem to be much deicision making beyond who to conquer next. It is 300% more of a war game than any previous version of civ.

Rat

Are you serious! Quite the opposite, I would rather say that keep in mind that most of the people who love the game have left due to being insulted a lot or being just plain tired of complaining and having better things to do.

But, to the subject (okay, sorry, copied things that I agree with):

Graphics 9/10 - I have it on medium with a 5 year old computer, works wonderous. Some bugs are there though.
Gameplay 9/10 - Once you get past the bugs (no lag for me), it's pretty immersive.
Replay Value 10/10 - I've played so many games now that I've lost count. Immensely more replay value than IV, which is just a big min-max.
Sounds 10/10 - Love the music. Just love it.
Multiplayer 6/10 - Fun, yes, but 1. No good save/load options and 2. Bugs+lag, especially in LAN play.
Price 9/10 - You get a lot of hours of gameplay out of this game, so well worth the money.
DLC price 8/10 - Yes, who wouldn't want everythign to be free, but come on, two civilizations for like the cost of cheese in the food store? (about 4€ or 5$) Is it really that bad?

Exactly this..

BTW, if you always expect a game to be 10 at release, you will about always be very disappointed, it's not realistic at all. Waiting before release for every game to be 5 would be more realistic.

I agree with all this. BTW, I seldom come here these days; I'm too busy playing Civ V or doing other worthwhile things. Many of the threads here read like a bunch of divorcees who can't stop talking about what was wrong with their ex. Some of the complaints against Civ V are plain ridiculous. "I want to punch that old man in the introductory movie in the face." "I don't like the guy who talks when I start a new game." "The 1 units/tile idea is a fiasco because I don't like it, so there!" "I've played Civ for many years, and I'm a long time poster in CFC, so my opinion of what a game should be like is worth that of 20,000 moronic newbies." "I keep the game running for thousands of hours while doing other things just to show that the statistics about how popular it is are a lie." And so on.

Even so, I *am* looking forward to the next patch. There are many issues that remain to be addressed, and they should add some new content. More value to the resource tiles, for starters. Activate the replay function. Make the AI respect Friendship agreements a bit more instead of sabotaging them towards mid- or endgame. Some random events might be fun. A steeper learning curve, with easier playability on low levels and a much higher one further up. Oh, and they must reintroduce the function where hammer overspoill goe sinto the next improvement built in a city.

I gave it a 4. I've tried to get into the game, but just find it boring as hel* and completely lacking in "immersion." "Cultural victories" become turn clicking, mind-numbing slogfests. Diplomatic victories are so simple they are a joke. The space victory works pretty well as advertised. However, I find that most of my games end with me having built a few cities and burned the rest of the entire world to the ground except capitals. That pretty much takes away the empire building aspect for me and it became boring very quickly. I'm probably better off anyway. There are plenty of things I have to do in the real world.

Dual Rating:

1.) As a generic 4X turn-based strategy game, I give it a 4.5, maybe a 5. It's got decent graphics, a few nice UI elements, a bunch of annoying and poorly implemented UI elements, and a few neat tricks. One-unit-per-tile doesn't really work, though, the AI sucks, and it's pretty dull and tedious.

2.) As a Civ game, I give it about a 2. I won't go as far to say it's a 1, because it does actually boot up and function, but it's basically a lame, generic 4X game with the Civ name slapped on the box. It is not worthy of the Civ title.

When Civ5 came out, I gave it a 5/10 but post-patch, a 7/10. Still below Civ4 and Civ2 at their peaks but good enough to not go back and play a regular (non-scenario) game of Civ4.

For my part i give it a 8-9/10 pre-patch, but 1/10 post patch.

Oh, and now come the hordes of users calling us fanboys... Again.

You mean like you call everyone else "haters" in your signature? Nothing like a little hypocrisy. :lol:

I rated it a 6. It's probably a decent game for folks who've never played empire-building TBS, and obviously plenty of long-time fans love it too, but for me it's a sad disappointment. The reasons are well-documented here and elsewhere; I won't bore anyone by repeating the details.

Enjoy the game, everyone. Maybe I'll see you around here again sometime.

I think a lot depends on what you want from the game, for someone like myself who used to play the Civilization games for the different emerging stories that would appear with each game, there are many reasons why Civ 5 just does'nt offer those stories anymore.

It is very much a "game" now and nowhere as near to a simulation as the series once was, as a result there is a far stronger emphasis on "winning the game" rather than experiencing it, the lack of end game graphs attest to that, i cannot enjoy a well played loss as i used to, the stories i took from Civ 5 over 20 or more games were all virtually identical to each other and they spoke mostly of war, replayability has taken a huge hit as a result.

Although i can only speak for myself of course, it's my belief that Civ 5 has left us "roleplayers" very much out in the cold, it gets a 5 from me.

I voted 3 - but I grade Civ on a hard curve because it used to be THE 4x game, that against which all others were judged... If I graded it not as an edition of "Civilization", but just as a generic empire builder in the same pool with everything from Galciv to RTW -- I guess I'd say it's a 5 or 6... not a debacle, but for my personal gameplay preferences, there are a good half dozen games I'd fire up before it.

Was among the horrifiically disappointed in the release... set it aside for a few months and went back to Paradox/EU3, let Steam have its way with me again the week after New Years and patched to current - now even more disappointed.

While I like the concept of removing SoD, I'm now more convinced than ever than you simply cannot scale an old SSI/PG hex map onto a world map.

The AI seems to have basically been taught to now do the same boring ICS players almost immediately learned how to do.

It remains bone-numbingly boring if you're a dovish player - I wish they'd have just gone RTS because those long stretches of next turns are just game killers.

For me, at least, I suppose I could make a passable case that there's a bit of fun to be had if warmonger --- but then, there are a many, many better wargames out there if I feel like getting my conquest on.

Hey - some people like it, bully for them - so YMMV

For me, it's probably the end of my "Auto buy anything with the Civilization label" line stretching back 20 years.

I sort of feel that civ kind of slipped into a rut where micromanagement was more important than macromanagement, where to win at Immortal it was all about managing your hammers so that you only had 6 hammers (epic speed) so that you could whip 2 pop instead of 1 at a time to rush that axeman and have maximum spillover production for the next one etc; and that it was all about sweating the small details at the expense of the big picture of running a whole empire - like you were playing the role of ten mayors taped together instead of an emperor. And sweating the details like that really makes it much clearer that you're playing the game's idiosyncratic mechanics rather than actually managing an empire. It was more about knowing the rules than anything else.

While I disagree with you on what Civ V offers on the whole (especially the combat element), I agree that the micromanagement/play-to-the-rules-rather-than-the-concept approach to the Civ series is and always has been a turn-off for me. It is, as you point out later, what drew me to EU3. EU3 has micromanagement, but it's....I dunno...I think of it as "conceptual" micromanagement, rather than "mathematical" micromanagement. It's less about manipulating equations to spit out the "optimal" result, and more about understanding the concepts that the mechanic is trying to approximate. Some stuff is still "mathematical," and folks who dig that kind of thing will likely still do quite well, but there's less worry about maximizing hammers, beakers, coins, etc.

I can see where, to a degree, Civ V sort of moved away from that, but I just don't think that the execution lived up to whatever the design goal was -- to the extent there was a coherent goal, that is. I find that, for example, buildings don't give much bang for your buck, so you end up not needing to min/max, but more because you're not really...doing anything that would require it.

I wish that Civ V was as you described it, but to me, it's as if they stripped out the micromanagement elements more by accident (by making more stuff less useful to build, so you always have plenty of resources to spend), and not filling that gap with much else. It's a lot of (in my experience) clicking "next turn" and just waiting for something to happen. So, for me, they (inadvertently? On purpose?) got rid of much of the micromanagement, but it hasn't been replaced by grand "The empire shall do XYZ. This I decree!" decisions. It's just less stuff to do. Also, while I didn't like the micromanagement element of the earlier Civ games, there were still more consequential decisions to be made. Do I build this, or do I build that? To some extent, the game mechanics that gave rise to micromanagement were an effort to make those choices meaningful. So, sure, you can build [building A], but if oyu do that, you'll probably waste production that could've gone into [building B] instead. But [building A] takes less time to make and grants a lower bonus, while [building B] takes far longer, but has a huge bonus. The micromanagement developed as a way to make those choices LESS impactful and to game the system (which was already gaming you by having a finger on the scale, so to speak). Another reason why I find EU3 more entertaining -- the AI doesn't "cheat."

Civ is not, never has been, nor really ever can be a series fanatically devoted to serving historical realism because the whole of human history is too big to fit realistically into one set of game mechanics; that's where your Europa Universalis-es and Victorias and Hearts of Irons step in, one era at a time. Civ has always been steeped in its boardgame roots, and I really think this iteration is a breath of fresh air by being honest and embracing those roots, in a way that I think really works.

Exactly, but no. :) Exactly in the sense that Civ isn't about historical realism, and other franchises are (which is why they're broken into smaller eras). No, because basically I disagree with how Civ V ends up approaching this. If that was the design goal, I think it's laudable. However, I find the execution lacking. That's just my personal take on how the game plays. I definitely appreciate your post, though, and agree with a lot of what you had to say.

I rated it a 3.

To simplify - I rate games based on how long I play them for. For reference, Civ4BTS is a 10, and Civ4Vanilla is a 9.

Given the recent instability in the "lead designer" position in the game, and the list of issues stickied at the top of this thread, I would at least wait to see if it turns around before purchasing... unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket ;)

While I disagree with you on what Civ V offers on the whole (especially the combat element), I agree that the micromanagement/play-to-the-rules-rather-than-the-concept approach to the Civ series is and always has been a turn-off for me. It is, as you point out later, what drew me to EU3. EU3 has micromanagement, but it's....I dunno...I think of it as "conceptual" micromanagement, rather than "mathematical" micromanagement. It's less about manipulating equations to spit out the "optimal" result, and more about understanding the concepts that the mechanic is trying to approximate. Some stuff is still "mathematical," and folks who dig that kind of thing will likely still do quite well, but there's less worry about maximizing hammers, beakers, coins, etc.

I think 'smoothing' would be a good word for it (EU3 vs CiV) --

As anyone that's played any of the Paradox titles knows, you could easily go blind optimizing - values for everything to the very decimal are calculated, so at a very granular level, you can easily get lost in very, very minor micromanagement... There are folks that are more than happy to provide you precise formulas for managing badboy or in other titles like HOI -- grand debates on frontage vs. stacking penalties vs terrain mallus vs leader skills, etc.

BUT - I think what EU and to a lesser extent, HOI do very well is provide multi-dimensional balancing.... The new Divine Wind expansion to EU3 goes even further (the one thing you COULD spam in EU -- buildings -- are now magistrate limited).

A good strategy game is really all about giving the player tough choices concerning opportunity costs.... Do I build X military unit vs spending those resources expanding my nation? Do I raise taxes and tick off the population? Do I go to war and risk the wrath of neighbors? How do I balance ALL of those things? How do they CHANGE over time?

EU doesn't get it always right -- but it does a really nice job having all of those things play off of each other and change over time.

Those choices in CiV just seem more binary --- science victory? Well - you know from turn 1 what pink tech tree to hit. Conquest? You already know city buildings are to be limited and probably -- already know which and how many of which buildings to buy.

One observation - noone thinks it is a great game. 9 or 10 rating has been given by less than 7% of the voters. Most think it is either mediocre or a good game.

Lot has been said about the game on the site and I have seen quite a bit of it. But I got a chance to play it only recently and I rated it 7.

Lot of bad press Civ 5 gets is because we all had high expectations from it after BTS. It is no match for BTS and I think all of us agree on it.

But the Gandhi culture victory games that I played were immensely enjoyable. I loved to see huge cities by the end of the game and unlike BTS, I reached much further in tech (in BTS, research virtually stops around the time of gunpowder and all resources are devoted to culture generation) and saw modern armies in cultural game first time.

The combat is a huge improvement though I wish they made conquering cities a little easier. As the combat is now, it is too easy to defend cities and too tough to conquer them.

Where the real screw ups are:

1. Diplomacy
2. Pooling of happiness, removal of health. Sort of dumbs down the game.
3. Dumbing down by removing religions and rewards of being the first to tech something.
4. Much easier to win wonder race.
5. Finally many glitches recorded by Civ old timers.

It is not a bad game by itself and deserves IMO a decent rating. But the developers did a very shoddy job by starting with a great title and reducing its gameplay quality. In other words, it is decent because of it's civ legacy in spite of those who designed it.

Hope they launch a sequel that will be as enjoyable as BTS + advanced graphics and UI.

Öjevind Lång;10115053 said:
Oh, and they must reintroduce the function where hammer overspoill goes into the next improvement built in a city.

There is hammer overflow, and if you "lose a wonder build" you get your efforts back in gold.

Gave it an 8. It's definitely still not perfect, but the last patch helped address some AI/Diplo issues. I'd like to see an expansion that helps add more to the game and brings back some features/adds new ones (I still miss my vassals). Meanwhile, I for whatever reason haven't had any performance issues/crashes/etc. at all since launch so that's not an issue for me either. It's different than Civ IV but still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom