Controlling AI city placement

Zakuzelo

Warlord
Been playing on Legendary Earth as Japan, and Indonesia's spoiling my beautiful future pacific empire by placing his cities in spots ranging from sub-optimal to downright idiotic. Nothing new with the AI, but this is the last straw!

I want to know of any ways to influence or control AI city placement. Anything at all. Is there a way in the world editor to mark spots for them to eventually settle in? Some mod to do the same? Hell, some way to take over their turn? I'll take anything I can get.
Tell me your secrets, Civ Fanatics.

I sometimes will save my game then open mods and use the in game editor to move their settler away to another place or if really mad just delete their settler then return to the regular game. Basically really cheating but at least the head ache from irrational expansion is gone. At other times to really show displeasure I have changed every tile around their new city to tundra, snow, or desert what ever is region appropriate.

I sometimes will save my game then open mods and use the in game editor to move their settler away to another place or if really mad just delete their settler then return to the regular game. Basically really cheating but at least the head ache from irrational expansion is gone. At other times to really show displeasure I have changed every tile around their new city to tundra, snow, or desert what ever is region appropriate.

Would moving the settler really do anything? Won't it just keep heading towards wherever the AI's decided to plant it?

No need for the map editor, just station troops near your future city and if the AI sends a settler to forward settle, DOW them and enslave it to a worker.

No need for the map editor, just station troops near your future city and if the AI sends a settler to forward settle, DOW them and enslave it to a worker.

Nonono, I meant when his cities are to be my cities in the near future. I want him settling cities, but in good spots, of my choosing if possible.

Try the Artificial Unintelligence Mod - it seems to make the AI settle cities in slightly better locations.

Nonono, I meant when his cities are to be my cities in the near future. I want him settling cities, but in good spots, of my choosing if possible.

The first can always happen.
The second would require cheating using map editor.
But you can get slightly better results with a mod increasing minimum allowed city spacing by one. That would also make it more likely to be able to unit block every tile except the one you wanted the AI to found on.

The second would require cheating using map editor.
But you can get slightly better results with a mod increasing minimum allowed city spacing by one. That would also make it more likely to be able to unit block every tile except the one you wanted the AI to found on.

Describe this cheating.
Haven't found unit blocking to be very effective very often. To much ground to cover.

Try the Artificial Unintelligence Mod - it seems to make the AI settle cities in slightly better locations.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Describe this cheating.
Haven't found unit blocking to be very effective very often. To much ground to cover.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Using the IGE is definitely cheating, but that's what we are talking about, forcing the AI to be less stupid. Slightly less stupid using a mod is better than nothing, but the IGE is the only sure fire way to fix the problem.

Just changing the minimum distance between cities from 3 hexes to 4 makes a huge difference. I was feeling like GnK was unplayable without that as all the AI city spam it really made it hard for me to enjoy the game. With BNW, the AI seems a lot more conservative and I have not remade the change to the config file. I forget which file and which line to look for, but it was very easy.

Top Bottom