Airport Appreciation Thread

blinky501

Chieftain
Who is like me and just loves being able to transfer your whole army across the map in a number of turns. the only problem is the beat the battleships there but that can be counter-acted by rocket artillery or steath bombers.

any-who I just want to say I appreciate the easiness of destroying my enemies on the other side of the world in just a few turns. thanks sid meiers

feel free to share any stories about airports that you want man I love this things.

thanks

The downside is the high maintenance cost. But if you have cities on a distant landmass far from the core of your empire, airports are really valuable for unit transport. When you need to move an army of 20 units, it cuts down on the laborious process, due to 1UPT, of moving every unit individually and, even if you use the "long move", if another unit enters the unit's destination hex, you'd have to give it orders again anyway.

Now, if only airports made city connections to your capital. As it is, there is no way to make a city connection between your capital and a city on another landmass that is not coastal, besides founding a coastal city on that continent, which may not always be feasible.

I never thought about the trade part you mentioned. I think that it would be a excellent and realisitic component to add because if a harbor creates a trade route then airport should be able to as well. Also if they were able to create some kind of trade aspect to the airport it would offset the high maintenance cost.

since I don't want to start another thread I wanted to ask what are the most popular promotions people get for their aeroplanes. (jet fighters, stealths, zeros, etc.)

thanks
blinky

since I don't want to start another thread I wanted to ask what are the most popular promotions people get for their aeroplanes. (jet fighters, stealths, zeros, etc.)

thanks
blinky

For me it would depend heavily on the circumstances. If I'm playing defensive for a science or culture victory interception 1/2 and air repair on fighters is really good.

For bombers just pick 2 promotions against land units or cities and get to air repair. Air repair is your best promotion and after that probably the promotion that reduces damage from interception.

this fast move feature is very convenient for the player and also adds to realism (ages to cross an ocean?) I think units should be transferable between cities with sea ports too, like the Great Admiral. And maybe between cities connected by railroad. That would distinguish "travel" movement (fast) and tactical movement (slow) - maneuvering in combat formations.

One game, as China, (warlord, earth map, large), I was taking down Atilla, who had pillaged and partially razed (down to 1 pop.) his way from Stockholm east through Siberia, on the way to Vladivostok; and east of the Urals, that Bozo had totally razed every other city as an air defense ( average distance between surviving cities was 18 tiles), leaving the roadnet intact ... (grumble, GRIPE !!) .

So I wound up saving Vladivostok, wiping out his forward armies; and then having to drop 6 new cities for airports, going west to Stockholm, which cost 3 landships and 2 GWbombers dammit!!

This delay gave Napoleon (S.America), and the Iroquois (N.America) time to prepare for my arrival . I won the game 78 turns later by taking Anchorage in a Mass Extinction Event .

I definitely missed airports from IV, and now battle logistics can be so much simpler in BNW than they were in GnK. It makes takes away the risk from a thin home defense, but my favorite thing is when my navy takes a coastal city with an airport.

Top Bottom