LOTR Mod Downloads and Discussion thread

Hi!

Sorry for the looong delay!

Here the PSDs, can you make the DDS?

abs,

Semprini

Here the diplo screens...

Thanks man! I was starting to get worried that you'd given up on us. I'll get to work making them into .dds at once.

@ everyone else, this means that I should be able to get Mordor out soon. There's still a bit of coding to do but it shouldn't take longer than a week or two

Hey,

If you needed any help with naming of cities, city states, factions, units and tech, I'd be glad to help.

Not sure if you plan to do city states but there are some minor factionas you could make states, like Dorwinion or LakeTown and other more obscure ones.

I'll be following this anyway :) looks good so far guys

Some quick ideas (got really intrigued when reading through the thread, civ 5 needs a good overhaul mod!):

Harad: Production bonus from worked desert tiles, combat bonuses on flat lands (ie plains, desert etc.)

Dwarves: negates defensive bonuses when attacking hills, can move "through" mountains. Greater chance of finding minerals/riches when building a mine (if that chance is still there in civ5, been a while since i've played anything but 4).

Some quick ideas (got really intrigued when reading through the thread, civ 5 needs a good overhaul mod!):

Harad: Production bonus from worked desert tiles, combat bonuses on flat lands (ie plains, desert etc.)

Dwarves: negates defensive bonuses when attacking hills, can move "through" mountains. Greater chance of finding minerals/riches when building a mine (if that chance is still there in civ5, been a while since i've played anything but 4).

Ooh i like the Harad UA...
For the dwarves i was thinking all mines produce +1 gold since their existence revolved around riches, but it needed to be paired with something to make it stronger. I like the "move through mountains" carthage ability, pair that with mines +1 gold and you have a thoroughly unique-flavoured civ!

Weird, I posted yesterday and it seems to have vanished...

Anyway, the dwarven ability idea is brilliant (The moving through mountains bit), I will definitely be adding that. I also like your ideas for Harad. And ghenry, your ideas look good as well, we really were having trouble thinking of uniques for the hobbits.

Weird, I posted yesterday and it seems to have vanished...

Anyway, the dwarven ability idea is brilliant (The moving through mountains bit), I will definitely be adding that. I also like your ideas for Harad. And ghenry, your ideas look good as well, we really were having trouble thinking of uniques for the hobbits.

Hobbits would benefit greatly from plantations, they are farmers of crops and tobacco (pipe weed) they trade with dwarves and breeland men, so I guess they are a merchant type faction in a farmers market kind of way. They are very food, maybe they have food production bonuses... Negative population happiness for getting involved with wars outside their own lands. also map making, don't know if that helps, but the only full map of Wilderlands (Rhovanion) was compiled by bilbo.

The Shire also has 'invisble' allies, Rangers of the North and Gandalf working in secret to keep the westlands safe. Not sure how that last one helps tbh. Could also similar to (I think) India of the vanilla game have negative happiness for number of settlements, they tend to congregate tho they did colonise the Buckland area...
Oh and they don't do ocean going vessels.

Hope some of this is useful :) If I thinnk of any more I'll edit.

Hey, Just a post to ask OP if this mod is still being done? I have been playing LOTR total conversions for the Total War games and they are extremely popular and work beautifully. Seeing it adapted to CIV would be fantastic as Total War doesn't have a big emphasis on tech so it would be a great addition.

If you were going total conversion (which I hope you do) you could add the ability to have Frodo as a great person, and if you get Frodo you can try to take him to the Mordor faction and destroy the ring. If you complete this it could wipe all Mordor units from the map!

I know you haven't looked that far ahead yet, but just an interesting idea.

Lovely. Looking forward to more LOTR civs.
I'd like to note that, while powerful, Gondor's UU's are too expensive in terms of hammers. If you lose even one then you are down many turns of production and its death can spell doom for your army. What do you think about reducing their production cost and power level in an equivalent fashion? To, perhaps, only 10-15% higher production cost?

Lovely. Looking forward to more LOTR civs.
I'd like to note that, while powerful, Gondor's UU's are too expensive in terms of hammers. If you lose even one then you are down many turns of production and its death can spell doom for your army. What do you think about reducing their production cost and power level in an equivalent fashion? To, perhaps, only 10-15% higher production cost?

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it soon :)

What's up with this? No response for over two weeks?

I did a load more of the stuff that needed doing a few nights ago. There's not to much more left to be done, HOPEFULLY I can get it done by the end of this weekend. And I have got a week off now so much more free time. I know, I always say it, but it really shouldn't be long now :/

Edit: In fact, I have a free evening now, so I'm going to try my very best to finish it, or at least get it to a point where I can finish it tomorrow.

Edit 2: Can't be sure, but I think I've finished... I'll test it now

Edit 3: It works! Just a few minor problems (graphics, as usual) and I should be able to upload it within the next hour or two.

Well then skeptics, I present you with... Mordor! The only real problem at the moment is that some of the icons have large black squares around them but it's very definitely playable. Also, there isn't much in the civilopedia entries for Mordor or Sauron, but I'll do them soon and I doubt anyone will mind too much.

Have fun!

Attachments

• LOTR CivPack - Mordor, Dwarves, The Shire.rar
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 464
Hmm I play Civ 5 on steam, so how do I play the new mordor mod on steam?

Edit: got it to work playing with it now

Top Bottom