LOTR Mod Downloads and Discussion thread

So, art. For the 3 (I think) people who wanted to help, here is basically what needs doing:

• Civ Icon
  • Leader Icon
  • White Civ Icon
  • Unit Icons
  • White Unit Icons
  • Building Icons
  • Leader Communication Screen things
  • DoM Screens (Beginning of Game bit)
  • Map (for main menu)

All of that for both the hobbits and the Dwarves. (Priority Dwarves)

And, as always, unit animations... If anyone can do this, please let me know.

If you look at these two posts, you will see what Semprini started:
Hobbits
Dwarves

And here, for reference, is the list of uniques and icons

Dwarves:
Dain II
Icon - Durin's Crown (Not the axe in Semprini's picture)
Uniques:
Unit -Axe Thrower
Unit - Stronghold Guardian
Building - Dwarven Blacksmith

Hobbits:
Sam Gamgee
Icon - You saw what Semprini did, I think it's a seedling growing in the Earth, but it looks cool!
Uniques: (Not quite confirmed)
Building - Tavern
Unit - Hobbit Adventurer
Unit - Hobbity-in-Arms

Also two resources - Mithril and Pipeweed

I'll explain all my ideas for the hobbits soon

1. It seems that the DoM screens are mostly touched up images from the movie and/or book but technically those belong to Tolkien and New Line unless you or your artist has contacted them. As long as you're not making a profit on the mod then its acceptable legally. All this to lead up to: what's your policy on external IP?
2. By white icons do you mean like a white silhouette of the standard icon?
3. What format would you like all the the assets to be in?
4. Are you doing anything to the in game model assets? I'm relatively proficient with 3d art as well in that case.

1. It seems that the DoM screens are mostly touched up images from the movie and/or book but technically those belong to Tolkien and New Line unless you or your artist has contacted them. As long as you're not making a profit on the mod then its acceptable legally. All this to lead up to: what's your policy on external IP?
2. By white icons do you mean like a white silhouette of the standard icon?
3. What format would you like all the the assets to be in?
4. Are you doing anything to the in game model assets? I'm relatively proficient with 3d art as well in that case.

1. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with taking and editing screenshots from movies, especially not if I'm not making money. I'm pretty sure that it's been done by lots of people without running into any trouble. In fact, this is the reason that I don't add LOTR music to the civs, but I thought screenshots should be alright.
2. I mean just a white icon like the in-game ones hovering above units' heads
3. .dds

4. In that case, that is definitely a priority, unit models would add a lot to this mod

Cool, I'll see what I can do about the icons and screens first since I can get those done faster and so you can get the new civs implemented. After that I'll go back and work on some models starting from Rohan. It might take me a few days to get started because I need to procure a few tools, but then I'll get right on it. And if you really wanted to, while the music may be copyright its basically free game if you can cover it and I just so happen to know a few lotr songs on guitar and I could easily learn more.

Awesome, can you work on the art for Gondor and Isengard first though? Because i want to upload them to the workshop and to be honest I don't really like leaving things incomplete and then carrying on to the next bit. Besides, I won't have finished the xml for the Dwarves for a little while. It should be pretty easy, use what I've already done as a start and just make it more... civ5-y.

And as for the music, that sounds really awesome, I'd be really interested to here some of what you've done.

Since I assume you'll be converting Civ4 models once you get that far, I'll try and find the ones I think would be best. Good luck!

What do you need done Gondor and Isengard-wise? Same stuff you listed above or did semprini have most of it done?
Also I can take a look at converting the civ4 models, if that doesn't work I was gonna model some from scratch. As far as music goes I haven't recorded anything worthwhile, guitar is just a hobby of mine I play in my spare time, but I do have the equipment to record.

So did you want me to remake them entirely or just the diplo screens? Also, you don't happen to have like a spreadsheet with all the uu/ua/ub listed for each civ do you?

After playing through what is currently developed, I am looking forward to animations for the Whargs, Orcs, Trolls, Dwarves, Hobbits, and Elves. Should be interesting.

There are certainly some Civ 4 Animations that could be adapted with permission. But custom models would make this mod incredible.

So did you want me to remake them entirely or just the diplo screens? Also, you don't happen to have like a spreadsheet with all the uu/ua/ub listed for each civ do you?

Not really, but I could easily make one for the next few civs. I'll send it to you soon.

After playing through what is currently developed, I am looking forward to animations for the Whargs, Orcs, Trolls, Dwarves, Hobbits, and Elves. Should be interesting.

There are certainly some Civ 4 Animations that could be adapted with permission. But custom models would make this mod incredible.

I know, they were one of the things I was most keen to do when I started this whole project. The idea of 3D animated Balrogs in Civ5 really is incredible (Once I get to Morgoth, should be fun)

Still not really sure what you need for Gondor and Isengaard

Well look in the art folder of the mod, and basically all of that could do with an overhaul...

Fall from heaven, and associated mods have great fantasy artwork.

I never played FFH, but I'll have a look at that.

And for everyone else, it's quite likely that I'll be occupied with G&K for the next week or two without doing much modding. Sorry :(

I do have a quick question to anyone who can answer. How do I get this mod to work? I got various others to work (through the steamworks program recently put forth), but I can't manage to get these to work, more importantly the Gondor, Isengard, and Mordor ones. any assitence would be appreciated.

Also @The Little One

Have you given any thought to Airborne units? I recall someone mentioning Nazghul (which if you really wanted could be either calvary (black riders) or one of Mordor's air units. But Thinking in terms of the good guys what did you have in mind? Because if you're having trouble, I think that including the eagles into the game would be awesome! While they weren't very prominent in the trilogy, they were still instrumental in the final assault against the black gates and I think warrant at least a look at for a unit. Although, with that said, I realize that, that may be a bit tough to actually implement it's animations and such into Civ.

I do have a quick question to anyone who can answer. How do I get this mod to work? I got various others to work (through the steamworks program recently put forth), but I can't manage to get these to work, more importantly the Gondor, Isengard, and Mordor ones. any assitence would be appreciated.

Also @The Little One

Have you given any thought to Airborne units? I recall someone mentioning Nazghul (which if you really wanted could be either calvary (black riders) or one of Mordor's air units. But Thinking in terms of the good guys what did you have in mind? Because if you're having trouble, I think that including the eagles into the game would be awesome! While they weren't very prominent in the trilogy, they were still instrumental in the final assault against the black gates and I think warrant at least a look at for a unit. Although, with that said, I realize that, that may be a bit tough to actually implement it's animations and such into Civ.

I think once I change the mod to total conversion, I will look at flying units. The problem with that until I change some techs is that to stop them being OP they'd have to be unlocked at flight or something, which would be ridiculous in context.

As for installing, just unzip the rar files and dump the folder inside into your Sid meier's Civilization V/ Mods directory

Eagles could be tied into a wonder, or a religeon (with a Gods and Kings type mod).

Eagles Eirie building / wonder or a Manwe type religeon (bought with faith rather than gold) or other mechanic... or TECH_FEATHERS :D

Maybe do Nazzgul as a special resource 'Rings' :D Mordor get 9 of them from mount doom wonder, elves get three (prolly a bit pointless), dwarves 7 mainlly in bellies of dragons.... ok you get the point.

I was looking into how one could do a tutaorial based on the Fellowship, using goody-hut upgrades as events / 'upgrades' for the fellowship unit... ie upgrade from the nine walkers to the 'oh dear the Balrog just ate gandalf' unit etc would be kinda neat with cool unique fellowship models :)

I've ben looking at G&Ks today, some good new features tbh to help with more complex plot angles in a mod like this one.

I made a Lothlorien / Galadhrim civ icon too the other day, silver leaf (underside of Mallorn leaf) on light green background, usual silver border. Looks good 256pxls down to 45pixels, 32 is a bit sketchy tho.... but 32 is a bit sketchy for most icons tbh.

Adding to the Wonder Idea that danjaman started. I think that it'd be really cool to have Smaug's mountain as one of them. I'm not sure what you're thinking in terms of wonders for the full conversion, but I think the inclusion of Smaug's mountain would be really cool to see. The benefit could be like +10 gold or something like that, since it's hiding all of that treasure and all

For what it's worth, in the interest of a more democratic LoTR Mod, I would like to voice my agreement with some of the suggestions above:

* Eagles and Nazghul as flying units accessed by something other than a late-game technology. No reason there can't be a kind of flying unit for every civ, either. Dragons for Morgoth, Nazghul for Mordor, Eagles for Valinor, etc.

* Valar as a Religion (perhaps vs. Morgoth as a religion?) using G/K.

* Smaug's Mountain as a Wonder.

* Rings of Power as Resources. The dwarves and elves have rings and that really should be included somehow. Like Lothlorien's water ring (Celeborn?) which, perhaps, could be a resource that relates to how that civ's relationship with water tiles is.

Anyway, I realize (to The Little One) you're in some slowdowns right now, so this is primarily intended to be encouragement and feedback. Thanks all! Hope to see some artists step up soon to provide some unique art for the existing civs in this mod (Whargs, Nazghul riders, Uruk Hai, etc.)! :)

I don't think the Valar will make an appearance as a civ, for balancing reasons. But I will make a religion for the worship of them, and for Morgoth too. I think I will make the coming versions G&K dependant as well, as the expansion adds lots of things that will help, such as the promotion that lets units enter rival territory that could be used for a hobbit scout.

And I have good news, Semprini hasn't left and I think has more or less finished the Dwarf art

Top Bottom