Active City Defense

Afforess

The White Wizard
Active City Defense:

Version: 0.2 Stable Release

Active City Defense makes arming your cities a more crucial part of gameplay. You will not be able to ignore defensive structures any longer, as they are much powerful for the defender, and will obstruct longer sieges. The goal of this mod is to ensure that city sieges are more dramatic battles that require planning and forethought to execute, making cities the veritable fortresses they should be. Historically, sieges over cities lasted over a span of years, costing many men and came at great expense. I aim to make that true in Civilization 5. A properly defended city with the best defenses of it's era should pose a formidable threat to attackers, while aiding nearby friendly units. Expect to suffer heavy losses attacking a city that has a Castle or Military Base within it.

Changes to Buildings:

Walls:
  • Costs No Maintenance

Castle:
  • Defense Increased to 12
  • Deals 1 HP of damage to adjacent enemy units on the beginning of each turn

Military Base:
  • Defense Increased to 22.5
  • Deals 1 HP of damage to adjacent enemy units on the beginning of each turn (effect stacks with Castle)
  • Heals Friendly Adjacent Units 1 HP on the beginning of each turn

Future Features:
  • Notification to the Player why their unit received damage
  • New Building: Emergency Services
    • Cities Recover From Damage At Twice the Normal Rate
    • + Happiness
    • 4 Gold Maintenance

If you decide to merge the code from this mod into yours, you MUST credit me.

This mod effects saves. Enjoy! ;)

Installed it!

*thumbs up*

Very cool Afforess!

I'm contemplating some such defense buildings improvement on my Savage Lands mod. Especially giving the AI free walls so they keep their cities around for longer.
I hope we can get warfare to the epic level it deserves.

Do cities' ranges increase as they advance in the tech tree? Because range 2 is good when fighting off catapults, but when dealing with mobile artillery, not much you can do.

Looks like a really good mod for Civ V!

Did you know the city sustained the longest siege in history (22 years, 137.000 turks who have perished ! :eek:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Candia

I think you mean 137,000 Turks, with a comma.
I know that in French, large numbers are divided with a period . and small numbers are marked with a comma , but in English its the other way around. No big deal though.

Interesting choices there, Afforess.

A positive of this mod is that it's likely to help the AI more than the human player, yes? Well, I'm not so sure but I have seen people complaining (rolo for example, IIRC) about how civ5 has shifted the advantage more to the attacker in warfare, driving more people into the military route to victory simply because it's easier than the more peaceful methods (except for Diplo vic I suppose). Hopefully buffed defensive buildings address that issue.

Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

Love this mod Afforess, have been using it for a while. Have you considered possibly increasing the damage cities can deal depending on these upgrades they have, too? I noticed that mentioned on the Walls of Babylon, though I'm uncertain that applies to all defensive buildings or just that one.

The Walls of Babylon actually only alters one xml value, from 500 to 750. I guess bombard strength is tied to the city's combat strength.

This sounds great, gonna download it now.

I dont suppose you have seen anyway of giving cities experience in the same way units do?

I just love the idea that a city who has sustained a long siege has defenders who are more experienced and as such earn points the same way the attackers are ;)

Hey, I installed your mod, and so far I'm loving it.

I got a question though.
Say I got a mod that also alters these buildings, how do they interact?

Example: There's a mod (there's actually 2, or more) that adds the Spain civilization to the game, and have an improved Castle as the UB, which has increased defense.
Will this mod add extra defense to that UB, or will something else happen, like the world exploding?

Thanks

Interesting choices there, Afforess.

A positive of this mod is that it's likely to help the AI more than the human player, yes? Well, I'm not so sure but I have seen people complaining (rolo for example, IIRC) about how civ5 has shifted the advantage more to the attacker in warfare, driving more people into the military route to victory simply because it's easier than the more peaceful methods (except for Diplo vic I suppose). Hopefully buffed defensive buildings address that issue.

Keep up the good work. :goodjob:

Thanks for the praise!

Love this mod Afforess, have been using it for a while. Have you considered possibly increasing the damage cities can deal depending on these upgrades they have, too? I noticed that mentioned on the Walls of Babylon, though I'm uncertain that applies to all defensive buildings or just that one.

See Below:

The Walls of Babylon actually only alters one xml value, from 500 to 750. I guess bombard strength is tied to the city's combat strength.

Correct.

This sounds great, gonna download it now.

I dont suppose you have seen anyway of giving cities experience in the same way units do?

I just love the idea that a city who has sustained a long siege has defenders who are more experienced and as such earn points the same way the attackers are ;)

Interesting idea, but ATM, modder's can't save new variables (like XP for Cities), so your progress would be lost each time you started up the game.

Hey, I installed your mod, and so far I'm loving it.

I got a question though.
Say I got a mod that also alters these buildings, how do they interact?

Example: There's a mod (there's actually 2, or more) that adds the Spain civilization to the game, and have an improved Castle as the UB, which has increased defense.
Will this mod add extra defense to that UB, or will something else happen, like the world exploding?

Thanks
This mod will give the castle the 1 HP damage per turn to adjacent units, and will increase it's defense to 1200. However, the tooltips might be out of date for the Spanish Castle, but it will work correctly.

I've listed the possibility of a new building, "Emergency Services" for the late game, which would double the recovery rate of city health, and give +1 happiness, but cost 4 gold a turn. Does it sound balanced? Would you guys build it?

Top Bottom