Active City Defense

With regards to cities not receiving great general bonuses (bona imperatoria, if you will), perhaps city bombardment could be changed to deal double damage when a great general is present in the city -- or alternatively, that they can bombard twice per turn when a general is within.

I'd love to, but modding Civ5 without the source code is like modding with two hands tied behind your back...

Love the mod, though it does make steamrolling the AI a little more difficult ;)

Is the regeneration rate of the city's defenses slowed by attacking units, or is it always the same. It would seem that if there are more attackers surrounding a city the city's regen rate should be slowed, or even halted at some point.

Possibly, but it's also something everyone expected. Same thing happened with civ4; Takes a while before DLL access is available.

I never modded vanilla Civ4, so it's a totally new (and very unpleasant) experience for me. While I did suspect it would happen, it's one thing to expect something, and another to experience it. Worse yet, I feel like Lua in Civ5 has LESS functionality than python in Civ4. There are a lot less callbacks that are useful. :(

Love the mod, though it does make steamrolling the AI a little more difficult ;)

That's the goal. ;)
Is the regeneration rate of the city's defenses slowed by attacking units, or is it always the same. It would seem that if there are more attackers surrounding a city the city's regen rate should be slowed, or even halted at some point.

Sorry, It's not exposed to modders... :( As I was saying... :sad:

I never modded vanilla Civ4, so it's a totally new (and very unpleasant) experience for me. While I did suspect it would happen, it's one thing to expect something, and another to experience it. Worse yet, I feel like Lua in Civ5 has LESS functionality than python in Civ4. There are a lot less callbacks that are useful. :(

Neither did I, actually, I've just had time to get used to it (We had the tools for months, never got DLL. Really wanted to start work on Eden... :p).

I'm not sure if Lua does or does not have less functionality yet. Haven't really messed with it (for one, havent' really found the damn files :lol:). Been tempted to do something like IDW, but with culture being an all or nothing thing that would be rather... extreme... at this point.

I'd love to, but modding Civ5 without the source code is like modding with two hands tied behind your back...

So, there's nothing in, say, Bombardment.lua that would let you change the amount of times per turn a city is able to bombard? Dang... :sad:

I'm not sure if Lua does or does not have less functionality yet. Haven't really messed with it (for one, havent' really found the damn files :lol:). Been tempted to do something like IDW, but with culture being an all or nothing thing that would be rather... extreme... at this point.

Well, I like Lua's syntax better than Python's, and it's a fine language, but Firaxis barely exposed anything to us. For example, The most useful Callbacks are on the beginning and end of the humans turn. There are no callbacks for when a building is constructed (there was in Civ4). We can't even save data anymore...

Without supporting functions, there is very very little I can mod. I've pretty much discarded the dozens of features in AND, even the python ones, since I can't even begin to implement them.

I mean look at the mods available for Civ5. There are very very few mods that actually change the rules. Lots of balancing ones, or interface mods. Active City Defense was one of the first. And will be one of the last unless the Source code is released, or firaxis unlocks more callbacks for us...

So, there's nothing in, say, Bombardment.lua that would let you change the amount of times per turn a city is able to bombard? Dang... :sad:

Nope. Already looked at it. It has very little control over actual bombardment.

By design (Civ V), troops are to be met in the field; if they make it to your cities they shouldn't need much to take it. Gameplay over realism. Before I get flamed though, this is just my opinion and as the modding manual says "Make the game you want to play" :thumbsup:

Has this mod been balanced with the Kremiln wonder effect?

It's completely balanced.

By design (Civ V), troops are to be met in the field; if they make it to your cities they shouldn't need much to take it. Gameplay over realism. Before I get flamed though, this is just my opinion and as the modding manual says "Make the game you want to play" :thumbsup:

I explained the rational for the mod in the OP. If you disagree with the fundamental design, don't use it. ;)

Well, Afforess, even without the extra code tools that you need I can honestly say you have made one of my fav mods so far and I'm pretty sure as more code tools are released you will take this mod further (hopefully with some of our suggestions ;-) ) and make it a mod To Stand The Test Of Time.

Sorry, couldn't resist that haha

Love the idea, looks great I'll have to try it out. :goodjob: Kinda concerned about this though..

city sieges are more dramatic battles that require planning and forethought to execute
might be a problem for the AI to execute any forethought :lol:

might be a problem for the AI to execute any forethought :lol:

Generally Speaking, the AI is going to be playing the defensive game, not the offensive game, so these buildings will work in favor of the AI, not against it. ;)

I mean look at the mods available for Civ5. There are very very few mods that actually change the rules. Lots of balancing ones, or interface mods. Active City Defense was one of the first. And will be one of the last unless the Source code is released, or firaxis unlocks more callbacks for us...

Love this mod. Hope this has been brought to Firaxis/2k's attention... 18000 "balance" mods doesn't make for the most moddable Civ ever >.>

... it is still the same issue of 32 seconds use then all blanks out. Then I have to restart the computer completely before I can get another 32 seconds. I can live with that, but here comes the worst:
I found 53 MODs and maps and versions of MODs after restarting my computer 6 times, but "Afforess" does not seem to exist .... :rolleyes:
:goodjob: The GOOD NEWS: today in my first round of 32 seconds in the MOD browser suddenly appeared Active City Defense v.2 ! :D

Thank you ! :lol:

UPDATE

MOD BROWSER GOES BLANK PROBLEM

:) THE SOLUTION I found on the 2K Forum:

if you are using a router, and the router has its own firewall on, it causes problems.
At your own risk of course :badcomp: turn off your router's firewall, BUT not the windows one!

Well, I hope it helps some of you,
Greetings
Viator

Great Mod!
I have one concern, however. The 1 damage to adjacent enemies pr turn for castle and military base is a really good idea. It will, however, result in ranged units being even more owerpowered/important that they already are! With this setting I would just try to sit back and let my ranged units weaken the city and then charge in with melee! And I am pretty sure the AI would not be able to do that in the state it is currently in giving you yet another exploit/advantage (and you already have enough).
Why not give the city 1 additional attack pr turn or something with castle and the 1 hp damage to adjacent units when military base is built or something?

Apart from that it is a great and needed mod, I will for sure install it right away.

Great Mod!
I have one concern, however. The 1 damage to adjacent enemies pr turn for castle and military base is a really good idea. It will, however, result in ranged units being even more owerpowered/important that they already are! With this setting I would just try to sit back and let my ranged units weaken the city and then charge in with melee! And I am pretty sure the AI would not be able to do that in the state it is currently in giving you yet another exploit/advantage (and you already have enough).
Why not give the city 1 additional attack pr turn or something with castle and the 1 hp damage to adjacent units when military base is built or something?

Apart from that it is a great and needed mod, I will for sure install it right away.

I'd love to, but the features modders can add are very limited. :(

Top Bottom