The Road to War - Ultimate Edition!

I do wonder if the AI overvalues forts -- sure it is better than defending open ground, but unless it is a chokepoint it may not be wise. If forts had minor AA capability it might make it worthwhile to hole up there, though there would still come a time strategically when they would be better off defending their cities instead.
Myself I never see strong force in forts in Europe map. But if that happen a lot in Global or Pacific map I agree that it looks like a problem with forts vs towns.

Germany may be holding units in reserve to counter UK/France in the west (or Italy et al. in Open Mode).
It's not maybe it's clearly required, France is doing some little assault at start of war.

And it's not "in open mode" in historical mode too the AI doesn't know which country will never attack it, for example the AI doesn't know that Netherland will never attack them.

In the case of Battleships vs. Cruisers, Dale did not put a wide enough gap between their strength levels to make them worth building IMO so a Battleship dying to a cruiser isn't really too odd, at least for me.

Predominately because by WW2 the battleship era was finished. It was the era of cruisers/carriers. Really, the only advantage of a battleship was a longer bombardment range (as reflected in the game).

Quite standard in any Civilization IV game or any Civilization IV mod. It's just that it happens but not that often. If you have 95% you still have chance to loose. I even saw few time in standard civ4 some death with 97%. Not sure I've seen it when it's above.

Consider it a case of the paper strength not being representative of the true capabilities of the unit due to a previously unknown/ignored defect ala HMS Hood or the initial unreliability of many tank drive trains, potential ofsome types to "brew up" more often than others thereby killing crews as well as vehicles etc etc etc. Its war and unfortunately when reality intrudes on theory unexpected things happen. Ideally you should never be in the situation where your entire war plan depends on a single battle outcome. If you are in such a position then accept that its a gamble and sometimes you lose.

Dan

I agree that I need to test more but sometimes my meds make me a bit impulsive, sorry about that. ;)

E.g. I am not particularly bothered about Germany postponing the invasion of Norway as Norway has been made far too powerful in this mod anyway. Didn't Germany take out Norway in a few days using like half a dozen soldiers? :p

Here is the AI performing (Monarch/Emperor) with Dale's combat mod written out. Thus, the poor performance of the AI was in part due to this feature. :)

Here is the AI performing (Monarch/Emperor) with Dale's combat mod written out. Thus, the poor performance of the AI was in part due to this feature.

Hm. I love DCM, even if mostly just for what a stack battle looks like ;) But that's interesting. I wonder if it does cause some aggression issues...have to look into this

Modifying out all of DCM except ranged bombardment (has to be kept otherwise artillery can't bombard at all) has had the unforeseen side-effect of causing Germany to not be able/willing to build any vehicle factories, thus only being able to produce new tanks in captured cities. This only affects Germany. Other than that I was quite happy with how the AI performed.

Can anyone think of why this might have happened and what setting I could tweak to finally, at long last, get the version of BTS that will keep me happy forever? :)

Quite standard in any Civilization IV game or any Civilization IV mod. It's just that it happens but not that often. If you have 95% you still have chance to loose. I even saw few time in standard civ4 some death with 97%. Not sure I've seen it when it's above.

Are you kidding? I've lost with an 100% chance in Civ IV Vanilla!

Modifying out all of DCM except ranged bombardment (has to be kept otherwise artillery can't bombard at all) has had the unforeseen side-effect of causing Germany to not be able/willing to build any vehicle factories, thus only being able to produce new tanks in captured cities. This only affects Germany. Other than that I was quite happy with how the AI performed.

You tried using WorldBuilder to just give the Germans vehicle factories at the outset? If you don't find that too unbalancing. It would be interesting if that worked

You tried using WorldBuilder to just give the Germans vehicle factories at the outset? If you don't find that too unbalancing. It would be interesting if that worked

I thought (hoped) that it might be a freaky glitch so I deleted and reinstalled UE 1.1 and made the XML changes again. Germany seems now to be building tanks. (Yes, I did try giving them vehicle factories during that glitchy game, and they immediately started producing tanks!)

I'll keep my eye on things during my games but I think I am starting to reach my bliss point for this mod. :)

Sorry to bother you about this Dale, but I'm at a loss, and just wondering if you know anything about this. In Open Play, *every single game* as Germany in global, Poland declares war on Germany in late June 36. Every single time, late June 36. In the same turn, Czechoslovakia always declares war on Austria, Romania always declares war on someone (not always the same target), every single time. No matter what I've tried so far, XML and some python, it always happens this way. I even gave Poland +40 attitude to everyone (just trying anything to get some clues as to what's causing the insanity ;)), and they DoWed just the same, but with "Friendly" attitude :crazyeye: But the clockwork of it just makes me wonder, could this be the unforeseen effect of some script, or some other game mechanic that I wouldn't know about? This is my nutty little fetish, getting Open Play to work better, but I'd love any help

Sorry to drown you out Omathaar - just wanted to point out a small detail. Has anyone else noticed that the Reichstag, White House, Big Ben, Arc de Triumph, Kremlin etc are all missing from the capital cities? I thought those were very nice touches.

I've seen it happen at 98+ %: only 99.9 is a safe kill. ;)

Are you kidding? I've lost with an 100% chance in Civ IV Vanilla!
I have 100% very very rarely that's perhaps why I never see it. The day I lost the fight with 100% I take a firm hold on the keyboard and will smash the screen, I'll learn to this computer to be fair play! :p

I've seen it happen at 98+ %: only 99.9 is a safe kill. ;)
Eventually I got some lost at 98% and didn't really noticed. I have the feeling that promotions you have make it different. With drill promotion and a high percentage I think the chance to lost is lower than with the same percentage and no promotion or some other promotion like the combat promotions. It's certainly linked to lower health of opponent unit making first hits count better. But it's clear that if the opponent has also same promotions they are canceled each other.

In practice same number of drill promotion gives you a lower percentage than the same number of combat promotion (or all promotion that affect only the strength percentage).

Another special promotion is the evading alas very few unit can use it with profit. It's not a promotion to save units but more an alternate way to reduce health of opponent units, at the price of some units. Submarines are working well because they are strong, fast to produce and start with a high chance of evading. That works less well with horse but it's still a good option alas very few country can produce horse in Europe map, something which is weird.

Consider it a case of the paper strength not being representative of the true capabilities of the unit due to a previously unknown/ignored defect ala HMS Hood or the initial unreliability of many tank drive trains, potential ofsome types to "brew up" more often than others thereby killing crews as well as vehicles etc etc etc. Its war and unfortunately when reality intrudes on theory unexpected things happen. Ideally you should never be in the situation where your entire war plan depends on a single battle outcome. If you are in such a position then accept that its a gamble and sometimes you lose.
It's not about loosing a battle or not that this system is unpleasant it's when you lost a general or a very experimented unit despite you take care to have a very high percentage.

That said a system with no random would require a totally different approach I think. Most true wargame also use a chance system.

Hm. I love DCM, even if mostly just for what a stack battle looks like ;) But that's interesting. I wonder if it does cause some aggression issues...have to look into this

DCM has many good points. Eventually it results in increasing importance of long range, not that good because long range is already very important. But for me the problem in the system is how the stack is working and how easy it is to cheat by using attacking unit per unit or one stack.

I agree that I need to test more but sometimes my meds make me a bit impulsive, sorry about that. ;)

E.g. I am not particularly bothered about Germany postponing the invasion of Norway as Norway has been made far too powerful in this mod anyway. Didn't Germany take out Norway in a few days using like half a dozen soldiers? :p
Norway isn't too powerful it's the AI that doesn't care to take it. You can take Norway with one transport, half a dozen of units, a small air support, few reinforcement to occupy towns during the campaign and continue plus few healing abilities.

I wonder if in Europe 1939 map putting some nice resources in Norway close to Germany to be sure the AI see them, will trigger the AI assault. Perhaps gold mine close to Germany.

DCM has many good points. Eventually it results in increasing importance of long range, not that good because long range is already very important. But for me the problem in the system is how the stack is working and how easy it is to cheat by using attacking unit per unit or one stack.

The AI works fabulously well on Emperor+ with DCM turned off, give it a go and see how much better the AI does.

The AI works fabulously well on Emperor+ with DCM turned off, give it a go and see how much better the AI does.
What you mean by DCM off? You deactivate all options one per one? I have tried that and don't remember the AI was better. There's some DCM options I enjoy so usually I deactivate only the stack attack and sometimes Battle effects when I get bored of micromanagement in previous game I played. :) I'll try again turn off all but in fact I like the AI and it even learned me many things. :)

I am trying the global map 1936 and research time are very long it hurts. Is it just me? Is there some tricks I didn't caught?

I'm playing France and had do some nasty tricks like put all town in research just to discover laboratory. But I'll be totally owned when war will start, I already lost the game I bet.

No I didn't use a high level of difficulty, well Monarch perhaps I should have try Noble but Monarch, usually I play only at Emperor or higher but in few mod. I don't remember research had such a big difference between Noble and Monarch. Also due to extensive possibilities of resources exchange that's not town health or happiness that limit towns development.

Top Bottom