Playing as Netherlands

Why do people keep saying the UA is weak? I think its a great UA. It means you can get extra cash early and still retain some of the happiness of the lux you sell. Or sell your last copy for a lux you don't have and come out +2 :) ahead. get the right SPs and its like you never gave away your lux!

It is useless and only relies on the fact that AI is stupid enough to buy luxuries even when they don't need them. In multiplayer you never see it used because who actually buys from other players?

It is useless and only relies on the fact that AI is stupid enough to buy luxuries even when they don't need them. In multiplayer you never see it used because who actually buys from other players?

But the AI IS stupid enough and I only play single player or SGs.

The UA allows me to have 4 cities before I can build the NC, while most other civs I barely have enough gold and happiness for the 4th city (on Immortal). But its UB and UU is kind of random. Netherlands doesn't really have a ocean bias or a desert bias, so they might just become useless unless you specifically select for those maps. And since I play on Fractal, it doesn't really suit my play style.

Do you guys build religion buildings when playing the Netherlands? After playing around with it awhile, I don't. Yeah, you can make some extra money by choosing Tithe, but pretty soon someone's prophet will come through and convert your cities. As a result, I pretty much ignore religion, unless someone converts my cities and their religion has a trait that I can exploit.

What has this to do with the Netherlands? I think the following applies to all civs and not only to William (so this post is more or less off topic). Please explain why you link the Netherlands to faith in your post.

You're not always converted. Plus, you could use inquisitors to protect your cities from being converted. Or you could be an ****** and capture any missionary or GP you see. And the best option: buy GPs or missionaries to convert enemy cities. It's all gold bonuses, with the right beliefs. You could also go for happiness beliefs to get that extra golden age, but always watch out for the enemy missionaries.

I do understand that it could be hard to use faith early on, because initially you have to invest (almost) all of your gold and/or hammers to produce faith buildings, which do not give you a lot at first. You could also have invested in other buildings that give bonuses right away. But faith gives you some new strategy options.

An example: using faith to produce even more faith (through the holy site, for example) and then converting many, many cities (including CSs, that want your religion), you can gain serious advantages, through CS bonuses or follower beliefs.

It's not useless in multiplayer, btw.

If you opponents have extras lux of any kind, you can always trade for them.

Less useful than in a large game with a ton of AI, sure, but still useful even in MP.

Top Bottom