The Road to War - Ultimate Edition!

Hmm, what happened with culture? Can only see espionage rate, and Research rate (im playing wth Yugoslavia, didnt check others). Also there is still a star on the Yugoslav flag, which is huge historical mistake.

Culture got effectively eliminated. It's mentioned in the readme.

BTW, I realise the error with the star. Sorry.

how do i know if i have ue 1.0 or ue 1.1? i downloaded some version of ue on the 8/05, and dont know if i have the rite one or not?

and just a historical question, britians first tank the mark VI, this refers to the Crusader or the Vickers?

v1.1 was dated 06 AUG 2008. The easiest way to tell is in Civilopedia, do Early Infantry (the neutrals infantry, not a major nation's) have strength 10? If they do, then you have v1.1. :)

The Mark VI is a tribute to the first tank line ever, the Mark series from England. The Mark VI was the last of the line to serve in war time.

how do i know if i have ue 1.0 or ue 1.1? i downloaded some version of ue on the 8/05, and dont know if i have the rite one or not?

and just a historical question, britians first tank the mark VI, this refers to the Crusader or the Vickers?

The Vickers Light Tank. But yes dale is using the Crusader grapic for it.

Dan

thanks for the info about the mark VI and ue1.1, downloading now

thanks for the info about the mark VI and ue1.1, downloading now

sorry, think i hit quik reply twice

So...I'm thinking of trying to fix the weirdness of small nations suiciding in open play, but I want anyone's ideas on how I might. My first plan is to make their leaders very peaceful and such, but if you have any other thoughts, let me know!

Another point about UE 1.1, stack attack is activated. Since many versions it was deactivated. It make me nuts after to have a series of ten to twenty fight loss during same turn with chance of success above 90% plus to see enemy artilleries firing 20 time during the same turn.

Until I realized there was something special, take back the savegame do one stack attack and throw a major blow to Italian army invading France and close to Montpellier. :D

Anyway, is it normal that it is activated by default? The civilopedia has an entry about it but it is short and the system seems quite complex. Is there more detailed explanation somewhere?

Also if I move an army close to an enemy army then do classical attack one unit per one unit is it normal to have each time all enemy artillery that bombard the attacking pack?

Another point about UE 1.1, stack attack is activated. Since many versions it was deactivated. It make me nuts after to have a series of ten to twenty fight loss during same turn with chance of success above 90% plus to see enemy artilleries firing 20 time during the same turn.

Until I realized there was something special, take back the savegame do one stack attack and throw a major blow to Italian army invading France and close to Montpellier. :D

Anyway, is it normal that it is activated by default? The civilopedia has an entry about it but it is short and the system seems quite complex. Is there more detailed explanation somewhere?

I turned it back on as I fixed the crash bug that was in it. If you want to turn it off, go to GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and turn it off there.

Also if I move an army close to an enemy army then do classical attack one unit per one unit is it normal to have each time all enemy artillery that bombard the attacking pack?

I wouldn't suggest 1-on-1 attack with stack attack on if the enemy has arty units defending. ;) That's one of the best features of stack attack: supporting fire. Artillery, fighters and ranged units (non in RtW) provide a small support fire to the attacking/defending unit. Basically, when a combat starts, defending arty/fighters/ranged have a strike at the attacking stack, then the attacking arty/fighters/ranged have a strike at the defending stack, then the actual hand to hand begins.

Arty will bombard and fighters will airstrike (with interception chances if the enemy stack also has fighters). Makes for AWESOME naval battles where aircraft carriers become useful/important. :)

v1.1 was dated 06 AUG 2008. The easiest way to tell is in Civilopedia, do Early Infantry (the neutrals infantry, not a major nation's) have strength 10? If they do, then you have v1.1. :)

My mistake. It's INFANTRY and strength 5 (not 10).

Hi Dale, thanks for making this awesome mod - possibly my favourite incarnation of the Civilization concept ever. Played 1.0 on Gloabal Assault as Prince/Germany and made it to Nov 1944 so far - just conquered Australia with the aid of some Nukes, conquered (and/or given to my allies) everything in Eurasia too.

Things I noticed (feel free to ignore these if they've been changed in 1.1)

1 - The AI don't seem to want to use Landing Craft much. They build them, but in all this time I've only seen them used twice; once by the Australians and once by the Japanese. USA & Canada have not attacked me at all bar the occasional sub or plane (via UK cities), and the UK never sent any land units over, ever. Normally in Civ4 I would expect lots of attacks, especially from the US (as a powerful overseas nation).

2 - The AI seem to build an obscene ammount of Fighters, especially Italy for some bizzaire reason. This is a minor problem, but I can imagine it would make fighting Italy rather tedious.

3 - You're probably aware of this but occasionally the same tank appears in multipule powers' unit lists but with considerably different powers - e.g. the Sherman is an American Medium Tank but a Chinese Heavy, the Chinese version being much stronger but slower. This doesn't seem to make much sense, though it's only a very minor issue (China rarely lasts long enough to get heavy tanks anyway).

4 - Wouldn't it make sense for Paratroopers & Marines to get the bonus vs. Siege Weapons that normal infantry do? After all, they are still regular soldiers, just with extra training. As is both units are rather weak.

5 - IIRC Germany's occupation of Czechoslovakia was an invasion, not an annexation - therefore Germany should DOW them instead of the cities simply changing ownership automatically.

6 - Shouldn't Newfoundland & Labrador belong to the UK (rather than Canada) at this point? They didn't become part of Canada till after the war.

7 - An idea to make the game a little more realistic and interesting (and challenging for the Axis) with what I would assume would be a minimum of effort: allow Canada and Australia (and possibly also South America) to build the British UUs. Ideally of course they would have their own sets of UUs but until someone makes some, it seems to me a good idea to give them the British ones: it would make them better powers as the UUs are stronger (I see no reason why Aus. and Canadian soldiers should be weaker than UK or US), and also make them more interesting and exciting to play. I don't know if they used the same types of tank and plane, but having the australians and Canadians build "Commonwealth Infantry" makes perfect sense as they were (and still are) part of the British Commonwealth (for all that means).

8 - There are a few very minor inaccuracies with the events, e.g. Italy should invade Greece several months before Germany does, but I appreciate that such minor points (the Italians didn't capture much anyway) are omitted for ease of use. With this in mind, it would be nice to see the Free French appearing in the game, especially on the World map ;) - elsewhere I read you saying how the only territory they got was given them by the British; indeed, so, let the Brits do just that! De Gaulle could keep just Chad, and then be granted other colonies by the Allies as they take them from Vichy, if the Allies so choose.

9 - There are lots of world events (I refer to the historical "Germany invades Poland" type, rather than the minor "Clunker Coal" type random events) missing from the game, and it would be nice to see as many of these in the game as possible as in my view it is these events that make RtW such an awesome game.
e.g. (on the Global Assault map)
A) Lots of other powers joined the Allies before the end of the war via the fledgling United Nations. In lots of cases these were opportunists "jumping on the bandwagon" towards the end of the war, e.g. Turkey Argentina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II), and therefore are rightly left out (because in RtW of course the Axis don't necessarilly lose, and it is unlikely these powers would have joined had it looked like the Axis would win) but others declared war much earlier and it would be nice to see this happen in RtW, even though the role played by such nations was small. For example, lots of Central America and the Caribbean declared war right after Pearl Harbour, and Mexico and Brazil declared war in '42.
B) The UK's invasion/occupation of Persia.

Figaro:

A lot of the AI problems are fixed or addressed better in 1.1.

5. Technically it was a capitulation. It wasn't officially either. Hitler threatened Hacha with war, and Hacha capitulated the country. Germany occupied the west, Hungary the east, Slovak became independant. There was no DoW.

6. True. But for the sake of the Europe maps, they went to Canada. Otherwise Canada would've been useless, and consequently that line went into Global.

8. Some events (such as Italy's early invasion of Greece) not possible due to Civ4's alliance system. If Italy entered war with Greece, all her allies would too (including Germany et all). Better to use the German date for that auxillery war. :)

7 & 9. Good ideas.

So...I'm thinking of trying to fix the weirdness of small nations suiciding in open play, but I want anyone's ideas on how I might. My first plan is to make their leaders very peaceful and such, but if you have any other thoughts, let me know!

Hey Dale, so I tried going into the WorldBuilderSave for GlobalAssault, and first off I noticed the format was different from a normal bts WorldBuilderSave. I wanted to tweak leaders' attitudes toward one another - I planned to make small, non-aggressive nations friendly toward their neighbors, so they'd (hopefully) be less likely to suicide in open play, and I planned to tweak others' attitudes in other ways to make them "play their roles" better in open play: ie, make Italy more friendly with Germany. So, I did what I'd do in a normal WorldBuilderSave, and inserted a line like this between "StartingEra" and "Handicap":

AttitudePlayer0, AttitudeExtra=5

Dang, it was tedious figuring it out for the relations between all 33 starting teams. But I started a game to test this out, and no apparent effect. Does the reason it won't work have something to do with the different format in your WorldBuilderSave? You have any ideas of how I can tweak attitudes for rtw?

Had a problem similar to figaros #2,
while playing GA 1936 w/ the orginal ue (havent had a chance to try 1.1) as first as France and then again as britian my Airforce was both times obliterated by the luftwaffe by october 1939.

Hey Dale, so I tried going into the WorldBuilderSave for GlobalAssault, and first off I noticed the format was different from a normal bts WorldBuilderSave. I wanted to tweak leaders' attitudes toward one another - I planned to make small, non-aggressive nations friendly toward their neighbors, so they'd (hopefully) be less likely to suicide in open play, and I planned to tweak others' attitudes in other ways to make them "play their roles" better in open play: ie, make Italy more friendly with Germany. So, I did what I'd do in a normal WorldBuilderSave, and inserted a line like this between "StartingEra" and "Handicap":

AttitudePlayer0, AttitudeExtra=5

Dang, it was tedious figuring it out for the relations between all 33 starting teams. But I started a game to test this out, and no apparent effect. Does the reason it won't work have something to do with the different format in your WorldBuilderSave? You have any ideas of how I can tweak attitudes for rtw?

You just saw the trick us Firaxis modders have been using for years. ;) With such a cut down player section, the game over rides everything with what is defined in leaderheadInfos. You're better off going to LeaderheadInfos.xml and giving Hitler/Musso/von Papen massive boots to same religion relations.

while playing GA 1936 w/ the orginal ue (havent had a chance to try 1.1) as first as France and then again as britian my Airforce was both times obliterated by the luftwaffe by october 1939.

The Luftwaffe was the most advanced airforce in the world at the start of the war. I feel it is warranted, and in fact, most of the French/BEF aircraft were shot down in the early months of the war. Not until the Luftwaffe was too extended to maintain control over all theatres of war (Eastern & Western Europe, Africa and others) did they start to loose control of the skies in 1942.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Luftwaffe_during_World_War_II

You just saw the trick us Firaxis modders have been using for years. ;) With such a cut down player section, the game over rides everything with what is defined in leaderheadInfos. You're better off going to LeaderheadInfos.xml and giving Hitler/Musso/von Papen massive boots to same religion relations.

Thanks Dale! If that doesn't do all I want it to, I'll try some other ideas...

2 - The AI seem to build an obscene ammount of Fighters, especially Italy for some bizzaire reason. This is a minor problem, but I can imagine it would make fighting Italy rather tedious.

For Italy it's more their plane that are a bit strong but overall, Axe controlled the sky as explain Dale and that's a major point in their rapid success in France. That said what is this "obscene ammount of Fighters"??? Because if it's something like 15, 20 it's exactly what I do when I play German to control the sky.

At least in this version the AI "understand" the importance of controlling the sky and not just use few fighters spare there and there that you can easily destroy by using the engage attack.

In no way it's a bad point, it's a good point.

As explain Dale Germans controlled the sky and even during the battle of England German still had the superiority, in fact When Battle of England stopped German had a large superiority and last air battles was resulting in equal loss on both side meaning Uk was near to loose the Battle. But suddenly Hitler changed his mind and decided to stop the Battle of England.

In no way it's a point to change, that's a very good point I see for the first time in RtW.
4 - Wouldn't it make sense for Paratroopers & Marines to get the bonus vs. Siege Weapons that normal infantry do? After all, they are still regular soldiers, just with extra training. As is both units are rather weak.
Please NOOOO don't make those units stronger the AI already overuse them and produce them too much. Or remove those units for any country but USA.

With this in mind, it would be nice to see the Free French appearing in the game, especially on the World map ;) - elsewhere I read you saying how the only territory they got was given them by the British;
Damit are false information can be stopped???? Here's a quote :
In the autumn of 1940, the French colonies of Cameroon and French Equatorial Africa joined the Free French side. French colonies in New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and the New Hebrides joined later. French Indochina and the colonies of Guadeloupe and Martinique in the West Indies remained under Vichy government control.

indeed, so, let the Brits do just that! De Gaulle could keep just Chad, and then be granted other colonies by the Allies as they take them from Vichy, if the Allies so choose.
Good idea that could allow play British first then once Vichy started give all colonies to De Gaulle in order to recognize French superiority! :D More seriously, as Free France started with a little ship army some ship units could be generated, another quote:
The Free French Navy had fifty ships and some 3,700 men operating as an auxiliary force to the British Royal Navy.[/QUOTE]So go on generate 50 ships for Free France! :D

Alas it wasn't the same for Earth or Air army but still De Gaulle got from British a Tank division I think (haven't check).

The Luftwaffe was the most advanced airforce in the world at the start of the war. I feel it is warranted, and in fact, most of the French/BEF aircraft were shot down in the early months of the war. Not until the Luftwaffe was too extended to maintain control over all theatres of war (Eastern & Western Europe, Africa and others) did they start to loose control of the skies in 1942.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Luftwaffe_during_World_War_II
Yes don't change that point, it's a very good point, I think it's first version I see AI in RtW "understand" Air control is important and fighters the best tool to do it (but they also produce many bombers and that's good too).

About the "The Luftwaffe was the most advanced airforce in the world at the start of the war" it's true and false. Chamboozer is right that in fact just before war Italy had the lead, for experience in air combat, for pilot quality and aircraft quality. But that was only for a small part of their airforce and the Luftwafer was much more strong and probably the UK air too.

Dale and Fagan: i agree with you guys about the Luftwaffe over France and to an extent over Britian. but I think that the entire RAF (over britian included) being destroyed by October 1939 is somewhat hard to believe possible. espicially when one fifth of the Luftwaffes fighter where the infrior BF110s. And though tactically far suprior to the RAF the British had radar which gave them a huge advantage in directing aircraft.

dont get me wrong though im not trying to be disrespecful, my knowledge of the Battle of Britian is likely far lesser than yours (I take more of an intrest in the Medditerranian and Pacific theatres)

Top Bottom