Civ5 using DX11 Graphics: The way it's meant to be played!

Get Win7 and use DX10/11 mode. Texture regenerating there only happens on start (when first time you see some part of the map) and never again. It is also fast.

One of the devs explained it in some article. DX10/11 mode uses better detailed, yet also better compressed textures (decompressed on the fly by use of compute shader feature of DX11), which are loaded faster into the game, since they take less memory.

Thanks for the info! :)

Does anyone have a recommendation for buying a new laptop that will meet or exceed the recommended specifications for CIV 5? I have a budget of about $2,000

You won't need a $2000 laptop for Civ5 :D
You will want a fast dual core and a mobility HD 5650, 5850 or 5870. 4GB RAM are more than enough.
Just a quick check at newegg brought up this one, which looks like a well-balanced package for Civ, while still being a laptop worth that name.

Get Win7 and use DX10/11 mode. Texture regenerating there only happens on start (when first time you see some part of the map) and never again. It is also fast.

One of the devs explained it in some article. DX10/11 mode uses better detailed, yet also better compressed textures (decompressed on the fly by use of compute shader feature of DX11), which are loaded faster into the game, since they take less memory.

Sadly it happens mid game as of now. Not a deal breaker, but it creates annoying stutters when camera pans from one location to a far away place really really fast and I can see lot of black tiles that didn't get to load its texture.

Interesting. However, when I select DirectX11 in the CivV Start Menu, the game crashes. I can only run it in 9. I do have 11, and a Radeon HD 5770 GC. Is this a bug, or can the problem be fixed, in Setup, say ?

Top Bottom