The Deity Challenge Line-up #29 - Dido's swimming pool

Incorrect, I'm sorry beetle. Monty has 7 out of a possible 8 for Deceptiveness. Only Dido and Attila have higher.

Thanks consentient. It is so funny when my own experiences are not consistent with the programmed flavor bias values. I have not been careful enough with Monty! I did not expect my DoF with Odo to save me from him, but I had made bad choices, so not much else to hang my hat on. I am really surprised ST412 had never had problems with the guy.

I just spoke to Oda and he says he hates your guts, ST.

Better watch ya back :)

nah, we're cool, just finished a joint stomping of the German Tsarina of Russia :lol:

Alright here's the secret. Oda knows I'm kind of an otaku :D :D

Another woeful attempt, I guess I forgot how to play a culture game :lol:

The only constant was a lasting alliance with that guy innit :D

Spoiler :
I'm not going to describe what I did, because it didn't work well. It started with getting my scout assassinated while trying to nab a worker. Suleiman founded a city that turn and I was smack in the middle. I didn't steal any workers, and couldn't scout any further until sailing. I founded 3 cities, but after two early wars (one for each expo) I didn't get my NC up until T93.

My cities were pathetic until I caught up in the Industrial era, but not because that was the goal. I decided to pursue diplo because I was out of position for the other VCs. I didn't have a specific VC in mind when I started, but I don't think that was my problem because every one I was thinking of involved a solid 3-5 city foundation in the Renaissance. That didn't happen. Every time I turned on the game I had to light a match to clear the stench from what I saw. My end game numbers don't look too bad considering all of my trade routes were recently pillaged again, but it was painful to get there.

Everybody hated me until the middle of the game, then I somehow managed to be first to an Ideology and everybody quickly hated me again. I had at least one war with everyone except Askia, and that was only because he was wiped out. I unfortunately lost some troops with every new wave of AI units, and had to keep replenishing the ranks the whole game.

I had Treaty Org, but I kept getting my cargos pillaged every time someone else decided to pile on and it didn't help as much as I would have liked. After full Tradition I went into Patronage, 2 into Rationalism, finished Patronage, and then 6 into Freedom. I opened Commerce and finished Rationalism before the game ended.

I actually won on the first vote, with more than enough votes from liberating Askia and Suleiman, Globalization, World Ideology, and owning all but one of the surviving CS's. I kept playing a few extra turns just to drop nukes on Oda. It was a pretty slow game by the AI too, with no real culture threat and no one finishing Apollo before I won. The game was pretty war heavy from front to back. Sejong went for culture and got suckered into two free picks in Autocracy, so he was effectively neutered and I didn't have to worry about an early launch. I did win, but it was not a pretty win.

Attachments

• DCL29.jpg
    DCL29.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 230
Nice win, nmp0098. You missed one VC from your sig, though.

Time Victory: About as difficult to see through to the end as Le Mans. ;)

Nice win, nmp0098. You missed one VC from your sig, though.

Time Victory: About as difficult to see through to the end as Le Mans. ;)

Fixed, although the 10 line requirement on sign is mysterious and annoying.

I agree Olodune, I think you made this map look easier than it was for me. I think a one city start would have worked better for me than early expansion on this map.

Finally managed to fit in a game! Pretty poor really, topped but didnt win about 3 world leader votes, and forgot to send my diplomats into capitals until only 4 turns before the final winning vote, so they were pointless!

Spoiler :

Pretty messy start .Wanted to try something different, but it just worked out slow. Beelined Optics first to try and have it by T35. Built a settler when I hit 2 pop and settled to the east, bought the tiles across the ditch necessary to claim the Spices. Opened tradition, stole a worker and a settler off Suleiman ~T25, long walk home though :S. I knew this start was going to be slow, but the target was to have 3 cities by hopefully T40, then start running cargo ships like mad.

Built 2 Quinqueremes to have a poke around and see if there were any good settling spots. Allowed me to settle both islands to the west; one with Pearl & Whales, and settled on the Furs on the southern island.

Wasn't exactly sure where I was heading but was looking like either science assisted Dom, diplo or science. First war was when I hit Battleships ~T200, Silly Ottomans attacked me. I'll admit I didnt have the troops at the time, but the location is so crazily defensible its not funny. Two rush bought subs and a luckily timed foray into the modern era allowed me to get some foreign legionnaires which was enough to beat back the tide. 10 more turns and a couple of GS later, I had 6 battleships ready to go. These made pretty short work of ol' Suleiman. Stacked the legionnaires with the battleships which proved surprisingly neat. I think I might use this tactic more often (although the slower movement than the ships could be a hassle if you're crossing an ocean rather than a pond). Took all his cities along our shared bay (including Istanbul). Russia then finished him off (which ended up proving hugely important in the world leader vote!).

Naturally, everyone then dogpiled on Russia and I said yes to one of the numerous invitations to war. Was a bit slower going with her, but 4 or 5 subs and 6 or so battleships were never in doubt of winning. At some point during this was flight was introduced so I bought a carrier and some fighters/triplanes to counteract. Liberated two of Suleiman's cities on the mainland, and one on the island slightly to the North East with the 2 CS, La Venta and... can't remember. I took the rest on my mainland, one of which kindly had the Prora :D. Japan and Assyria took her last two terrible island cities.

Japan backstabbed, decided that suicide zeros were awesome and spammed me with them. Painful when he started taking down my veteran battleships. Ended up beelining the military side of the tree and spamming missile cruisers, subs and a couple of intercept carriers until I finally stopped the tide. Once I got stealth bombers and XComs (~T290) started to turn it back on Oda. Took about 4 or 5 of his cities, sold one to Askia which he burnt. All in all this detour cost me around 50-60 turns by my calculations, but it was fun. I've never used Missile Cruisers much before. The lack of resource requirement is pretty awesome, although tricky because they can't be upgraded from an existing veteran, and no indirect fire was a bit frustrating.

From here I was either going to win Diplo or science, got too lazy to finish the Dom and to be honest Korea was running away with culture a little to much. By the end, Korea would have had a cultural victory within the next 10 turns or so, but I had the cash to either win dilpo or go to space anyway.

Spent the whole damned modern-info era at about -50 happy because I was the only nation to go Freedom (obviously Korea's Order propaganda was the issue here). But meh, I wanted the SoL. Exploration was very helpful at this point, the +3 happy from every city saved the day. Quicker and far less of a detour to get +30 happy than the commerce finisher.

Research - Was either at future tech, or had GDRs to go, so basically whole tree. Wa behind on the early bench marks, but picked up pace quickly through the Renaissance, even without Observatories.
Social Policies - Tradition (All), Rat (Opener +3), Detour through right side of commerce, 2 into exploration and Freedom. Finished Rat for Robotics, then filled out Freedom to 9 policies incl. space procurement and treaty organistion (?)
Wonders - Only built SoL and Big Ben, Korea's tech rate was pretty much parity with mine for most of the game, so he took most of the other good ones.

Tight finish on Worlds Fair :lol:
Spoiler :

Victory Screen w/ vote details. Thanks Suleiman!:D
Spoiler :

All in all, it was a good map. I wouldn't mind a few more swimming pool maps in the future, gives me some other parameters to think about.

That may not be the ideal game to go liberty wide ... but you could always attempt the experience.

Yes, I could only get up five cities. I am still on a kick where I play maps twice, once Liberty and once Tradition.

On my second (Liberty) run I got a t342 SV. Sadly, that is pretty typical turn time for me.

My third run was 4 city Tradition. Seemed to be about the same pace for me, but this time lost by CV on turn 289. So much RNG game-to-game. I had read all the thread spoiler at that point, but could not really figure out how to use them to help my game.

I really like MotG for Carthage. I had never gotten anything out of that pantheon before, but after The Wheel I was ripping through the ancient era techs like I never had before.

I was third to Ideologies, so I picked Autocracy until I got Prora built and then switched. That gambit seemed to go okay. I can’t seem to get a win time under 300 turns, so that remains a frustration for me.

Spoiler :
My SV I was 3 SS parts ahead of Sejong. I think he was aiming for CV for that game too, but Pacal was keeping him well in check. The International Games never came around for my Tradition game, so I am not sure at all what Sejong was doing to run away with it.

Odo was a constant threat, so I was continuously bribing him to attack people. But in my Tradition game I could not get him interested in Sejong.
Turn 299 resign

Where you about to loose to an SV or CV?

Hey beetle, nice to see you break your DCL cherry. Don't worry too much about the turn time right now. Just be proud of yourself that you beat the AI. I am sure you will be able to improve on your time and develop your Deity play if you stick around the DCL.

Do you have a screenshot of the win?

Hey

So whats the deal for early strategy here.

The map has marble so that makes me inclined to try some early wonders but the deer is in the 3rd tier and the forests can't really be chopped early so there aren't as many early hammers as it looks like.
It looks like the optimum way is to get a lighthouse asap, what do other more seasoned players think?
Has anyone been able to get Colossus on this map?

I almost never try for Colossus because it's so unlikely you'll get it and it's a massive diversion.

Why do you say you can't chop the forests? I chopped them all to build my wonders and units, no problem.

Monument-Worker is a good idea on this map, I would say.

I almost never try for Colossus because it's so unlikely you'll get it and it's a massive diversion.

Why do you say you can't chop the forests? I chopped them all to build my wonders and units, no problem.

Monument-Worker is a good idea on this map, I would say.

Well when you get non-resourced forests on the 2nd-3rd ring usually the culture tile grower doesn't prioritise these so you chop them for 2/3 of the amount.

Yes you get less out of them, but you get them earlier. I've never seen the math on this, but I think early hammers count more than later hammers, and I always chop everything around ASAP. I think I showed in my own play through that it can give you a decent start. I always prioritise hammer tiles, and even more so on OCC when I don't need the happiness from luxes straight away.

269 resign

Spoiler :

I was aiming for getting some capitals with frigates and beelined for them. After taking Istanbul, however, I had to do something about Sejong, but it was too late. He snowballed like crazy and had battleships by the time I could've attacked him. At around turn 260 he was at 99% tech and had built several spaceship parts. At the same time, half of the AIs decided to attack me simultaniously and kicked my ass to the point of resignation.

What can I say... all city states + world ideology + globalization

Attachments

• carthag.jpg
    carthag.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 559
Thank you. I am not sure what my hold up was!

Please find attached. Final adjusted score was 1560, #8 Joan of Arc.

Good win. One comment though (dunno if you're looking for tips...), your capital does not seem very big. Did you use cargo ships to feed your capital? If not, that might shave of some turns of your victory time. As many people here will know: food cargo ships are amazing.

Top Bottom