Gandhi's Cold Cramped Deity Domination Challenge

I just noticed your Inca game and I'll give it a go, but here's another Inca game.

The map is Amazon Plus. 22 Civs again, but no city states. Domination only. Also raging barbs and no huts. It's not nearly as cramped as unlike Boreal, Amazon Plus seems to keep the normal standard sized map, and without much water there's plenty of land.

It's a great start for the Inca, noting that Amazon Plus maps are almost all jungle except for hills in the SW corner. Which means there's hardly any desert for other players (hint: Petra).

Inca's position should be easily defensible, particularly with their movement bonus on hills, but I suspect venturing into the jungle will be tough.

Attachments

• Inca Amazon Plus.Civ5Save
    475.4 KB · Views: 112
The thing is, clinton, with the other VCs disabled, victory is pretty much certain, since the AI can't win.

The thing is, clinton, with the other VCs disabled, victory is pretty much certain, since the AI can't win.

That's kind of the point, the idea is to make a game which lasts well into the tech tree and isn't cut short by one of the other victory conditions.

But if that's an issue, here's a save with culture enabled. I've kept diplo disabled because the world leader vote requirement is only 11 votes which is too low. I've also kept science disabled because I think it's pretty much impossible to prevent a science victory indefinitely short of domination anyway.

Attachments

• Inca Amazon Plus DomCult.Civ5Save
    461 KB · Views: 104
That's kind of the point...
Games with VC disabled are not appealing to most folks. And consentient, apparently the only person who took up this challenge, frustrated your goal because he did not get to the information era.

I think you need to talk this idea out more. As I said near the top, I think you can get what you want -- end game high tech warfare -- using all standard settings and just disabling VC except dom. Why is that not good enough for you?

Games with VC disabled are not appealing to most folks. And consentient, apparently the only person who took up this challenge, frustrated your goal because he did not get to the information era.

Note that it still took until turn 250 despite the consentient saying the AIs were nerfed due to being too cramped.

Have a look at the Amazon map I posted. It addresses the cramped nature consentient mentions and adds some further difficulties, but it does give the player a pleasant defensible start.

I think you need to talk this idea out more. As I said near the top, I think you can get what you want -- end game high tech warfare -- using all standard settings and just disabling VC except dom. Why is that not good enough for you?

Could you post a map if this is the case?

Note that it still took until turn 250 despite the consentient saying the AIs were nerfed due to being too cramped.

That is still ~100 turns short of what you were hoping for, so a bunch of non-defaults and only about two-thirds towards the goal.

Have a look at the Amazon map I posted. It addresses the cramped nature consentient mentions and adds some further difficulties, but it does give the player a pleasant defensible start.

Sorry, unless both SV and CV is enabled, it will not feel like much of a challenge to me. Yes, there may be settings (and extra civs, low resources seems likely) that lead to end-tech warfare. But that's speculative, may need a lot of trial and error, and not as easy as just doing all-standard with the peaceful VC disabled.

Could you post a map if this is the case?

I have not tried disabling VC myself as the idea does not really appeal to me. And I may be wrong, so I don't want post a map unless I have played it and gotten the results you are looking for. By definition, one would have to play the game out 300+ turns to know. Have you experimented with the advance start configuration options?

That's kind of the point, the idea is to make a game which lasts well into the tech tree and isn't cut short by one of the other victory conditions.

If you want to guarantee that the game gets to at least bombers, then disabling VCs does nothing to advance that goal. Sure, the AI can't win by T300, but then the AI can't win at all. To make it more difficult for the human to win before T300 is to play around with the other variables.

I don't think it can be done a whole lot faster, tbh. This was some of the best play I've ever done. There wasn't really any major weakness to my strategy. You could shave 20 turns maybe, but it's a lot of capitals. My point about them being nerfed was that they didn't tech because of the poor dirt, no room, and constant war.

If you want to make it necessary for the human player to venture past T300, then let the AI runaway and build 40 cities that pump units. Everyone's had that game where even the normal bomber sweep is boring because Shaka/Bismarck/whoever just has half the map and it's taking forever to nail him. That is what takes time, not the 22 civs or the frozen ground.

I'm unlikely to play another game with VCs disabled because there is no point me playing a game where the AI can't win. I seldom lose, but when I do, I learn something from it, if possible.

That is still ~100 turns short of what you were hoping for, so a bunch of non-defaults and only about two-thirds towards the goal...Sorry, unless both SV and CV is enabled, it will not feel like much of a challenge to me. Yes, there may be settings (and extra civs, low resources seems likely) that lead to end-tech warfare. But that's speculative, may need a lot of trial and error, and not as easy as just doing all-standard with the peaceful VC disabled.

An easy map can be done on Deity in around T150 by the best players and T180-200 by good players.

@OP: If you look at some of the DCL maps where great players had high finish times, you might be able to get some idea of what makes the turn times higher.

My final suggestions:

1. Continents
2. All warmongers as opponents
3. Load the map on IGE and give every AI around 3-10 more units.
4. Have a look at the Zulu ICL I mistakenly thought was sane!

Top Bottom