RFC Europe

Nighthawk419

Deity
Greetings everyone - its time to start up a new PBEM game! Its summer, people are on vacation and times are slow, so let's get some excitement back in these forums again and maybe bring some new people into the fold to play a new PBEM.

This game will be played using the Rhyes and Fall Mod, the Multiplayer (MP) edition. You can find the MP edition on these civfanatics forums if you don't have it already.

Instead of having another huge RFC game, I'm hoping to keep it small and simple: 7 players, all European civs with fairly close start dates. The civs listed below are the options for the players to choose from:

Vikings - Ragnar - Starting year: 545AD (Turn 177) - Nighthawk419
Spain - Isabella - Starting year: 720AD (Turn 193) - Eclipse
France - Louis XIV - Starting year: 750AD (Turn 196) - Imp. Knoedel
England - Victoria - Starting year: 820AD (Turn 203) - ReallyEvilMuff
Germany - Bismarck - Starting year: 840AD (Turn 205) - Hercules90
Russia - Stalin - Starting year: 860AD (Turn 207) - Academia
Netherlands - Willem van Oranje - Starting year 920AD (Turn 213) - AdrianIer
Portugal - Joao II - Starting year: 1130AD (Turn 234) - Rodrigo Costa

Civ selection will be first come, first serve, and I will take the last civ available.

All victories are enabled except Time - this game can continue forever until someone wins!

There are no other rules, just play the game and try to win, the first person to get a victory condition wins the game!

Logistics Note: In order to make this work, I need to start with the 3000BC save and play a civ until the spawn of Spain at turn 193. I will be playing as Egypt while this game fills up with players, and then retire to the AI once Spain has spawned and we are off and running. I don't plan on winning as Egypt or doing anything crazy, just survival until the other humans spawn. I will be using the city governor and building the first recommended option on the build list when prompted, unless there is a survival emergency. I will stay within Egypt's core as well. Hopefully this provides the most realistic AI-like play until the meat of the game is ready!

Download link for RFC MP needed to play this PBEM: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7427

House rule: no spawn killing. Each player controlled civ is allowed 5 turns of universal peace from the date of their spawn. After that, anything is allowed.

It's a little strange how Rhye made Dutch spawn at 920 AD in old vanila and MP version :crazyeye:. In 920, King Henry of Germany liberated Utrecht from Vikings, that's the only connection I see. Which reminds me that Vikings are also part of Europe and need to be a playable nation in this approach. Provided no strange crashes will occur with birth of new civs even when games started in 3000 BC (never tested it that far).

i´m really enjoying the RFC pbems, so count me in!
give me russia, please.

It's a little strange how Rhye made Dutch spawn at 920 AD in old vanila and MP version :crazyeye:. In 920, King Henry of Germany liberated Utrecht from Vikings, that's the only connection I see. Which reminds me that Vikings are also part of Europe and need to be a playable nation in this approach. Provided no strange crashes will occur with birth of new civs even when games started in 3000 BC (never tested it that far).

Yes but the vikings spawn way in advance of the rest (600 AD or so?) so I decided to leave them out. The goal here is to have the civs be close in location and spawn date to get into a pretty intense game pretty fast between the humans. the Viking spawn is just too far out from the rest for the point of this.

I'm about 90 turns into Egypt so far, and I'm going to play test the other civs all spawning correctly and without issues, so we will know for sure very shortly.

i´m really enjoying the RFC pbems, so count me in!
give me russia, please.

You got it, you are in.

Well 600 is almost as far from 720 as 720 is from 820... and human player will finish it fast being the only player...

I am not thinking about joining, don't you ever worry. But in case if you still do or still annoyed while playing -- you are always welcomed at NA.

It depends on when you intend to start.

If the (realistic) plan is to start in the end of August, then you can count me in! If it is before that, then it is not possible for me...

Well I'd like to start once we have all players signed up. But that requires at least 4 others, plus I need to finish with my logistical workaround of keeping 2 civs alive under semi stupid limited human control until Spain and France spawn... I'm currently about 30 turns in of that, so that will take me time as well.

So yes, realistically this won't start until mid-august at the earliest.

OK As I have a while to go before I get to play in the other RFC's I'll take Germany but if there is a rush to join I am content to bow out.

I think I'm gonna go with France.

You know that you can just automate the build items too? Next to the Automate Citizens and right below the whip button, just click on it and your city isn't even going to ask you what to build.

I'd prefer if you played Rome instead and made an effort to actively recreate history instead of just letting the AI handle it, or we gonna end up with a razed Christian holy city and a Islamic Europe again. :p

Herc and Knoedel, you are both in.

I didnt realize I could automate builds... very good then!

I have the game set up (and have started playing) with all the civs through the ones mentioned above to be all human players. For speeds sake, I am only keeping 2 of them controlled by me at any time until Spain and France spawn. The rest are slowly being retired to the AI. My "control" is limited to auto builds and AI suggestions. In order to keep any one civ from being incredibly crappy (because I've noticed the AI builds are pretty horrible, worse than youd expect the regular AI to play) I'm going to be switching around and only giving my limited control to each civs for short periods, so mostly, it will be the AI doing everything, yes.

Yes, that may cause some very weird things to happen when we start spawning for real... but thats part of the fun of RFC, having a few curveballs in place!

That being said, I will be doing my best with unit movement and settling cities to be pretty historical as much as possible. In fact, just for fun's sake and full disclosure, I will post some pretty screenshots as we approach our spawns and keep everyone informed of whats happening...

First Update, 40 turns in... India and China were immediately retired to the AI.

Egypt:

Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG

When I can whip the settler, I'm going to and settle Alexandria. AI spawned 3 warriors and 2 scouts at the start. Scouts are auto-scouting Africa, warriors in defense mode.

Babylon:

Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

Babylon also spawned 3 warriors for defense and now is working on a settler (???) with no ability to whip. This is not going to go well when Persia spawns :mischief: I chose Babylon to play as human because frankly, it doesn't matter, they would be dead when Persia spawns no matter what type of AI control it had.

Funny thing I noticed - 2 Jerusalem Archers (Jewish Archers?!) actually left the city and marched through Babylon and are heading for Shush and the Persian area... curious to see what the Jews are up to!

Second update, spawn of the Greeks...

Egypt:

Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG

Alexandria founded, archers being built for defense. Whipping when appropriate, I guess. Still no workers, its amazing the AI would not suggest a worker being built for this long...

Babylon:

Civ4ScreenShot0041.JPG

This is the last we will see of them, they were retired to the AI next turn when I switched over to the Greeks. The settler was just finishing, so I left it and the great mystery will be finding out where exactly, the AI decides to settle in this crowded place... Shush and Sur should flip to them sorta soonish with the border pop.

Greece:

Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

Knoedel will be proud of me for using the second settler to found Byzantium! :cool: Rather than hearing him complain to me, I just went for it. 2 Phalanxes defending the cities, the 3rd being sent into Turkey to take out a barb city and wreck havoc, representing Alexander the Great, I guess. The warriors and galley sent to explore mode... because apparently the AI loves scouts, another being built in Athens and a very random settler being built in Byzantium. Switched to Slavery to whip when appropriate. Workers set to auto improve nearest city, 1 for each city...

Hopefully these updates start getting ya'll excited for this game!??

This is the last we will see of them, they were retired to the AI next turn when I switched over to the Greeks. The settler was just finishing, so I left it and the great mystery will be finding out where exactly, the AI decides to settle in this crowded place... Shush and Sur should flip to them sorta soonish with the border pop.

Personally I think you should have at least founded the second Babylonian city yourself, 4N1E of Babylon would be a good spot. Who knows what atrocious city the AI is gonna found.

Knoedel will be proud of me for using the second settler to found Byzantium! :cool:

I would be even prouder if you had founded Korinthos on the Marble hill 1SW of Athens, but that's just nitpicking. :lol:

Top Bottom