TSG94 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG94 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did the Score goal ultimately affect your strategy?
- Did you enjoy this new strategic goal? If yes or no, feel free to say why.
- Would you like to play this game type again?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 94
Game status: Time Victory
Game date: 1400AD
Turns played: 200
Base score: 1274
Final score: 1274
Time played: 4:06:00

Score Breakdown:
Cities: 96
Population: 312
Land: 168
Wonders: 375
Tech: 128
Policies: 56
Great Works: 4
Religion: 135

Wow that turned into a hodgepodge of no real plan. Built 2 cities, conquered 4 more by like turn 130 or so, but happiness was so bad I was starting to get rebellions. Settled in to fix those things, and of course everyone hated me and wouldn't trade for anything useful so I mostly had to do it myself. My religion was starting to take off, so once I fixed my happiness issues, I started pushing a bunch of little towns to fill in the spaces. Eventually went to war again right near the end to grab 1 more city.

All in all, not that happy with how my game plan changed 3 times, but had fun with the game, and really want to replay it with what I think will be a better strategy.

The score goal made me rethink a lot of strategy.
I really liked it as a goal, and would enjoy seeing score mixed in as a victory condition.

Now to go play the map again.

I will not be submitting. I miss-clicked on Construction when I completed the Great Library circa t66. I meant to choose IW.

Played without much preparation. My plan was sound but I started to conquer way too late and didn't have time for more than 3capitals.

Probably can reach 1800 with all capitals.

Spoiler :

Date submitted: 2014-09-17 00:37:27
Reference number: 31686
Your name: Acken
Base score: 1555
Final score: 1555
Time played: 2:46:00
Submitted save: TSG94_Win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C509401.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2014-09-17 09:03:54
Reference number: 31688
Your name: Mutineer
Base score: 1573
Final score: 1573
Time played: 5:04:00
Submitted save: Augustus Caesar_0200 AD-1400.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Mutineer_C509401.Civ5Save

Spoiler :

Basically I believe I did near optimum with 4 cities tradition wander spamming approach. With some conquest and settler spamm at very end. Not sure How acken Manage to discover aluminium, may be no wanders what so ever...

I was 1 turn to architecture when game end. 2 full policy tree, tradition and piety. May be starting conquest a little bit early and going into deep red in happiness would have been better, I just discover that I can not settle when happiness below 10, so about 4 settlers went unused. I am mustified, I have mach higher total population then acken but my tech is way behind? How?

I finished with 20wonders. I went into rationalism, but that have been a mistake, probably just conditioned to play a science game at that point lol. I should have finished liberty for a GE and get an additional wonder. Also I have a lot of +2 science jungle.

The map truly sucked so going tradition OCC until NC was probably a better idea. Oh well.

Your name: stridecolossus
Base score: 894
Final score: 894
Time played: 2:18:00

Wouldn't normally go wonder spamming but this VC meant we really had to, rather than building a few 'tactical' wonders and conquering for others, but it made for an interesting and different approach.

Personally I enjoyed both the time VC and the turn limit, meant we had to come up with different strategies (also made the game shorter which was a nice change ;)).

Definitely.

Summary

I tried a practice game with the same settings and went Liberty for a change, but decided that the wait for the free settler wasn't worth it versus early bonuses from Tradition, be interested to see which opener other players went for.

So plan was:
- settle in place.
- fill Tradition with 4 or 5 cities.
- aim for an early religion via Stonehenge.
- possibly an early war if opportunity presents.
- wonder spam in capital and second best production city.
- get DoFs and sell everything we can to buy buildings so cities can focus on wonders instead.
- ideally get a militaristic CS so we don't need to build many units.
- ignore Ballista but aim for IW to get Legions (can also help build roads).

Initial capital build order:
- scout
- warrior (lot of barbs around)
- worker (again lots of barbs and nasty terrain meant stealing would be awkward)
- Stonehenge (for GE and religion)
- settler
- worker (buy)
- Hanging Gardens
- archer (accidentally!)
- caravan / granary

Religion:
- pantheon: Oral Tradition as we had a lof of plantation resources.
- Tithe
- Pagodas (mainly for extra happiness)
- Religious Community (extra production)
- Religious Texts

Research:
- Pottery (Shrine)
- Calendar (Stonehenge, luxuries)
- Mining then BW (we have a lot of jungle!)
- Archery (lots of barbs)
- Wheel to Maths (for Hanging Gardens)
- Writing to Philosophy (Oracle)
- Masonry (some marshes to clear)
- Iron Working (legions)
- Sailing (trade routes)

Wonders:
- Stonehenge
- Hanging Gardens
- Colossus
- Oracle
- Halicarnassus (just because we could)
- Borodbur
- Great Mosque (in second city)
- Hagia Sofia (enhance religion)
- Notre Dame (GE)
- Alhambra

The plan worked fairly well, but the terrain wasn't very conducive, seemed to take an age to move units around. Also had a lot of barbs early doors (especially ships) which slowed us down, maybe should have opened Honour? Also the plan of flogging resources to the AI didn't work out very well in the early stages of the game as everyone either already had what I wanted to trade, or had no cash, or wouldn't DoF.

Once Tradition was completed I wasn't sure what approach was best, went Piety but perhaps Patronage or one of the others would have been better in retrospect, even though we were very religion-focused I don't think Piety helped us much in this short version of the game.

Missed out on Chitzen Itza by ONE turn dammit! Got a bit complacent, city wasn't even on production focus.

In my practice game I got a score of around ~1200 but I didn't get close here. I should have prioritised Education more to get a tech into the next era and used a GE on Pisa for another free GE, worked in practice game but I was miles off in this one.

All in all a very enjoyable game, though I expect my score will be poor.

- stride

Date submitted: 2014-09-18 15:04:58
Reference number: 31693
Your name: Monthar
Base score: 1153
Final score: 1153
Time played: 2:14:00
Submitted save: TSG94_Won_Score_1154.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C509401.Civ5Save

I put off the warmongering too long. Delayed the universities too long. Lost GL by a few turns. Still I did better than some of my practice games, but not as well as other practice games. The huge jungle in the starting location slowed things way down.

Completed Tradition and was 1 policy from completing Piety. I took Heathen Conversion mainly to prevent barbs from capturing any missionaries.

Date submitted: 2014-09-18 22:25:13
Reference number: 31696
Your name: TLHeart
Base score: 994
Final score: 994
Time played: 2:41:00
Renamed file: TLHeart_C509401.Civ5Save

Started with a sacred sites strategy...

poland was first to reformation belief, and then spain beat me to sacred sites... already had 7 cities settled, so settled 2 more, and started to build army, but with low production that was difficult.

Egypt, and germany decided to gang up on me, turn 170, so I took thebes, turn 185, took munich turn 195, and was headed for berlin when the game ended...

started liberty, to free settler, then full piety, and finished liberty. took reformation belief that prevented others from wiping out my religion in other cities.

Date submitted: 2014-09-20 10:51:55
Reference number: 31702
Your name: glory7
Base score: 2448
Final score: 2448
Time played: 5:08:00
Submitted save: gotm94_glory7_0200 AD-1400.Civ5Save
Renamed file: glory7_C509401.Civ5Save

one city GL NC and tradition 4 cities. Beelined education and I think I got it around t115. I started the war when I got education, with 5 CBs + 1 ballista + 1 horseman and added 1 legion later. I got 5 Xbows when I took 2-3 cities, and after that it was really easy.

Got zulu settler and Egypt worker, and rescued worker and settler to use them as workers. Later built pyramid at expo to get 2 turn road building and 2 more workers.

religion: jungle +1 culture - tithe (somebody took initiation... sad) - shrine +1 happy - religious community - 30% more spread. I built stonehenge after t100 and found religion very late. Immediately enhanced with hagia sophia.

Didn't know that I cannot build cities when happiness is -10 or below. Could not build 3-4 cities (settlers were waiting at the spots). Delayed capturing last 4 cities b/c of unhappiness.

Most cities did wonder-spamming, and I annexed Berlin to build colossus. Spain built GLH and France built SoZ.

Tech was architecture (rushed Taj) and chemistry. I was researching economics and bulbed it with the GS at t200, but it seems that that 4 more points from the tech does not count.

SP: full tradition - liberty citizenship - +1 hammer one - representation - meritocracy - pat open to rush FP - liberty finish - commerce open and left 1 - honor open (used 2 GWs to bulb, just chose 2 policies). In retrospect, now I realize that I should have chosen pat left 3 for more happiness...

Spoiler :

How did you manage to take over the entire map? Even on replays where I went highly aggressive I barely managed to take out Egypt, Germany, the Zulu and Poland.

I did not want to go warring, but I do not think it was hard. Especially with Rome, use siege. Rome balistas actially pretty good, with good support of composites/swords.

How did you manage to take over the entire map? Even on replays where I went highly aggressive I barely managed to take out Egypt, Germany, the Zulu and Poland.

If you ask me how I did manage happiness, yes it was difficult. +10 happy wonder, monarchy and meritocracy helped a lot.

If you ask me about the wars, well, this is prince level so it's fairly easy. Even if you start around t120-130 with 5-6 Xbows, just add 1-2 siege + 1-2 meat shield + 2 horse then you can just kill them. Make sure you wait until they run out of units and attack cities later.

Date submitted: 2014-09-20 19:53:25
Reference number: 31709
Your name: Sempronius
Base score: 845
Final score: 845
Time played: 5:16:00
Renamed file: Sempronius_C509401.Civ5Save

I went peaceful and from the other posts it looks like aggressive was the winner (contgrats on over 2400 pts Glory7). I ended up with 14 wonders and an enhanced religion, but if I play it again I'll go for total war.

Spoiler :

If you ask me how I did manage happiness, yes it was difficult. +10 happy wonder, monarchy and meritocracy helped a lot.

If you ask me about the wars, well, this is prince level so it's fairly easy. Even if you start around t120-130 with 5-6 Xbows, just add 1-2 siege + 1-2 meat shield + 2 horse then you can just kill them. Make sure you wait until they run out of units and attack cities later.

Maybe it's not having the siege and horses that's been my problem. I tend to not use siege units because they almost always get destroyed before they even get a chance to fire, even if other units moved in first.

glory7 - My plan was to set up a religion to nullify happiness on city capture. In that way, I think you could have taken all the CS too. With Rome on Prince you just need 3 Ballista and 2 Legions to take stuff. You could have had a couple teams working and all the established cities would hammer out the wonders. Engineer and/or science wonders only in Rome. Bulb GS to get to Factories for Industrial circa 160 to 170. Choose Order resettlement to spam cities for 30 turns. That was my plan.

I wanted to go lots of cities so opened Liberty but then got forward settled by Egypt and wasted too much time taking them out. I went too early with only a few units and wasn't enough to take Thebes so regrouped, wonder-spammed a little and popped a GE. Used GE to get Great Wall - only I didn't. Thebes got it the just before me. :mad:

Switched to Comp Bow spamming, upgraded to X Bows and took them out then marched on Shaka to take two of his cities. Germany was already at war with them and Napoleon came to the party as well.

It was certainly different... Maybe a non-jungle start?

Undecided. Probably.

Details below:

Spoiler :
Date submitted: 2014-09-21 15:22:03
Reference number: 31712
Your name: raidandtrade
Base score: 855
Final score: 855
Time played: 3:07:00
Renamed file: raidandtrade_C509401.Civ5Save

Date submitted: 2014-09-21 22:07:21
Reference number: 31713
Your name: Kendon
Game status: Time Loss
Base score: 640
Final score: 640
Time played: 4:42:00

Turn 108: barbarian horsemen approach Rome. Bombarded, they regain health by pillaging, and there's a lot to pillage. One of the two legions in Cumae west of the mountains heads back to Rome through endless jungle.

Shaka declares war and attacks Cumae with a warrior, a spearman and two catapults. One legion should be able to defend. Then the rest of the Zulu army arrives. From then on the game is mainly war with Shaka, not wonder production. If I'd built more military, as is usual, Shaka wouldn't have attacked but I was trying too hard to build wonders. Back to the bottom of the score sheet. Mea culpa.

After submitting I tried a replay but with each new military tech I built one army unit. Shaka still attacked, but much later, unsuccessfully. More wonders, bigger cities, score 882. As you say, these are training games. I learned a few things and was reminded of others I should have remembered. I thought this game allowed more variety than usual and I'd like to see similar games.

glory7 - My plan was to set up a religion to nullify happiness on city capture. In that way, I think you could have taken all the CS too. With Rome on Prince you just need 3 Ballista and 2 Legions to take stuff. You could have had a couple teams working and all the established cities would hammer out the wonders. Engineer and/or science wonders only in Rome. Bulb GS to get to Factories for Industrial circa 160 to 170. Choose Order resettlement to spam cities for 30 turns. That was my plan.

Is there a religion perk that nullifies happiness on city captures?

For industrial era and order, that sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure you can get there fast. This starting position is far from optimal (no river, no mountain, etc) and if you start conquering captured cities won't help your sci - in fact, they would rather delay your sci progress. I haven't tried it, but I think by the time you build 3 factories it would be like t190.

Is there a religion perk that nullifies happiness on city captures?

No, you would just have to be quick on conversions, if not already have it converted. I agree that the jungle start really slows down any plans like that.

Top Bottom