Faction Campaign, Election, Game Start

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Now that we're open and the factions are gaining members, it's time to discuss the first election.

Do we want a campaign between the factions first? If so, how long and what format? Maybe just a Prime Faction Debate thread? Maybe 3 days worth? When do we start the debate?

I think I'll just handle posting the faction election (instead of going through a process to select the person to post the election), unless there is dissent.

After the election we'll start the game, under control of the Prime Faction. Traditionally that has been done by the first leader (President, Chieftain, etc.) during a live chat.

I opened up an RP thread for the factions to discuss/argue ideas and policies. I don't much care on the timeline, but I was hoping to see one more faction pop up before elections.

I think we need a longer debate for the very first election (4 days debate based on nominations and finished platforms, 3 days elections), now that we got traits and so on in it.

Faction Platform should be complete when posted in full for the debate, allowing factions to keep their platforms to themselves so we do not get an election where people anticipate the development of a platform on an hourly basis by observing other factions, but rather present a finalized platform for the elections, like we see in real life.

I wasn't actually ready for the debate to start, was asking when we should start it. :crazyeye:

In real life, candidates make adjustments to their message to account for public opinion, or at least they do in the US.

Here we got 4-5 quite substantial factions, and I hope that each of these will be as distinct and finalized as possible, before we begin the election process. A good day to start would be sunday, as we got the most people in and managed to agree on something internally. Having the Platforms ready for approval by one of those days, allows us a weeklong process with nominations, debates and prime faction elections (these should be private, I hope).

So we will not know what our starting location looks like or our civilization before Prime Faction elections?

No, the start location will not be the issue, but the important traits will be and technology strategies based on first civics. Anyways, the map around the first settler is very limited, only 4000 BC level of info. Using traits as part of the very first election give these elections an entirely new meaning.

Ok, so 1) Do we finalize our platform and our faction's candidate and post by Midnight Saturday the 15th?
2) Open discussion occurs for a week, then on Saturday following (the 22nd), we hold the prime faction election?
3) On Monday (the 24th), the votes are tallied, and a Prime Faction winner is declared, and the game officially begun?

Sounds like a plan, we should possibly have the deadline for Midnight, US Pacific time, out of respect to those in Western USA and in understanding of those in Australia.

Debate based on platforms could go on from Sunday to Wednesday/Thursday, then a 3 day election ending on Sunday, where we have the foundation turn.

Sounds like a plan, we should possibly have the deadline for Midnight, US Pacific time, out of respect to those in Western USA and in understanding of those in Australia.

Debate based on platforms could go on from Sunday to Wednesday/Thursday, then a 3 day election ending on Sunday, where we have the foundation turn.

Good suggestion on PST. I also like the second part as it gets the ball rolling sooner, wish others visited the forums here during working hours, lol.

So the europeans are left out in the consideration? Ah well, it's fine with me :) Sounds good.

That brings us back to EST, lol, or we could go to GMT?

Maybe we should find out where most people are located first?

I am EST, I think many are PST, and there is at least one from Australia that I know of and a couple from England and elsewhere in Western Europe (Belgium comes to mind).

Well, I think we should use as much as possible in the weekend to make platforms, early saturday wont do.

Sounds like we won't be ready to post platforms until early next week then. So, post by 0200 (GMT) on the 18th (Monday). Debate through 0200 (GMT) on the 22nd (Friday). Vote over the weekend, tally final count on Monday 0200 (GMT), then start game as soon as the first Prime faction can get rolling, then start term clock based on their first post, stating they have started the game?

Using GMT has been, in the past, the norm for demogames.

GMT would be nice. If we should discuss by 2 AM GMT, well, I'd be sleeping in my keyboard. My faction might not love me for that...

Anyway, I'm not east-european, only an hour east of Great Brittain. But I can stay up at odd times if I get enough coffee, so don't let down the westcoast because of me. :)

The problem is allowing addequate discussion time for all of use, who seem to be all over the globe. If we just keep it to GMT period, perhaps, then it at least makes the math easier for all parties, however, we should keep in mind where the majority of this demogame's population resides. I will start a poll if there isn't one already.

The issue is not with giving preference to one time zone or another, it is in giving adequate notice at all. We don't want this to sit so long that folks get disappointed and leave, but there is no reason to hurry to the point that someone feels rushed either.

Top Bottom