Science challenge - Settler to Deity

Memoryjar

Emperor
Hi guys, girls and non-gender.

When I want to play Civ V easily, I start a game with a random difficult level, a civ which fits my desire to raise my beakers per turn, and hope to finish as faster as it's possible.
Recently, I challenge myself to beat each best time record in Civ V HoF for a science game.

So you're welcome to avoid me to succeed. :D

This is an all levels challenge. The goal, I hope, is to push this game as far as possible in science game. And for whosoever to find some tips for science games.

Rules :

- Here it's house of Science victory. Peaceful or warry but only rocket in the sky.
- HoF rules : http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/rules.php. You'll need G&K and BNW. All DLC Civilizations are permitted.
- Most important : Please no reload, except bug or crash. So, games will be considered after been upload and admit in HoF

Settings :

- Standard size
- Standard speed
- Any difficult level
- Any opponents
- You can choose your civ and your map in VVV maps (http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/mastery.php?show=maptype&pubID=-1&exp=2). So, if you want Aztecs on Lakes, enjoy yourself.
- Raging barbs on or off. As you want.

Currents records :

- Settler : vadalaz - Shoshones - Highlands - 164 turns.
- Chieftain : Tommynt - Assyria - Arborea - 190 turns.
- Warlord : Fils - Maya - Highlands - 208 turns.
- Prince : Manpanzee - Poland - Lakes - 233 turns.
- King : Dinanipedro - Russia - Boreal - 256 turns.
- Emperor : Sanabas - Ethiopia - Ice Age - 242 turns.
- Immortal : IronfigtherXXX - Babylon - Great Plains - 208 turns.
- Deity : IronfigtherXXX - Babylon - Great Plains -199 turns. :eek:

(Moderators : I hope I could pick in HoF and put this data in this thread. If not thanks to correct me)

Best time :

- vadalaz - Settler - Shoshones - Highlands - 164 turns.

There's no deadline, except when this thread will sink in oblivion.

If you want to participate on this challenge, please post your difficult level in title (when you're writing a post click on «go to advanced». you can set a title to your post. It will be easier to discuss. Don't open a thread per level. Put all yours comments here.

Have nice games.

I was once interested in this list particularly Deity. So I rolled Aztec Lakes and played it. It turned out pretty average :D Lakes alone is not enough. You need those mountains and rivers too. So I don't think Aztecs on Lakes is the best choice. That is if you are considering which Civ to choose.

As for Warlord till Immortal, it should not be that hard to beat it :) I have never played Settler or Chieftain so I can't comment if those sub 200 are easy or not.

There are confirmed sub 200 wins on deity and immortal. There was a whole thread dedicated to it.

There are confirmed sub 200 wins on deity and immortal. There was a whole thread dedicated to it.

I was in that thread and I don't recall seeing any that were not on legendary start and with BNW ... link? Maybe I missed something at the end.

I think folks need to remember the difference between games that appear in HOF tables (games submitted under HOF rules (which prohibit a number of exploits) and subject to strict HOF staff review, including disqualification if there is evidence of save scumming), GOTM submissions (different system and subject to GOTM staff review; save scumming and certain exploits are prohibited, but there is no formal "policing" of save scumming), and informal AARs posted in Deity, Immortal, etc. challenge threads (where there is no external "policing" of save scumming or exploits).

The OP requires compliance with HOF rules for this challenge, but does not explicitly say that saves must be submitted and accepted in HOF to qualify. @Memoryjar, can you clarify that?

Thanks.

So, are we going to have separate threads for each level?

I find it an interesting challenge.

Have played a warload game, with Babylon, pangea, and finished at 283.

I played a pretty funny huns game, at chieftain, for the achievement

Basically, I got battering ram from ruin at turn 10... pangea continent from terra game became pretty quickly hunnish territory :D

Wasn't a science victory though...

Yup. I did one on settlers, but tiny map (on a laptop for a moment). T202 despite, so I think Huns are a goog choice.
For HoF rules, yes please, upload your game in HoF. It will be easier to update this challenge. And if somebody don't know it but beat the mark, I'll see it.
TLHeart : I didn't think about it. Basically, in advanced mode, when you send a post, you have access to a title for your response. Maybe a thread per level is a goog idea. Initially, I thought to put all posts here.
What do you think about it moderators and others ?
I'll update HoF upload as soon I retrieve a connection, with only Tapatalk, it' a nightmare.

31/08/2014 :
- Rule for admit games. Uploaded in HoF.
- Discussion : please, put all reports, questions, «damn I wonder how I can make under T181 on setter» in this thread.
- Only Science victory. You can open a thread for Domination, Diplomacy or Culture, if you want. Or wait until I'm tired of Science games. :D

02/09/2014 :
- TLHeart took leadership on Warlord : Korea - Pangea - 249 turns. Last record was Dracandross - Venice - Tiny Islands - 348 turns.

17/09/2014 :
- vadalaz rules Settler :Shoshones - Highlands - 164 turns. Last record was Thorak - Poland - Tiny Islands - 181 turns.
- Memoryjar :D took head on Warlord :Spain - Pangea - 220 turns. Last record was TLHeart - Korea - Pangea - 249 turns.

01/10/2014 :
Biggest update since the start. Thank you guys.
- Fils leads Warlord : Maya - Highlands - 208 turns. Previous record was Memoryjar - Spain - Pangea - 220 turns. :(
- Manpanzee improved Prince for 33 turns :poland - Lakes - 233 turns. Last record was Airny - Siam - Terra - 266 turns.
- IronfigtherXXX takes first place on Immortal : Babylon - Great Plains - 208 turns. Last record was Sanabas - Danemark - Continents - 263 turns.
- Acken rules Deity : Babylon - Great Plains - 204 turns. Previous record was Thorak - Aztecs - Lake - 221 turns.

15/09/2014 :
Little update but big improvement :
- Deity : IronfighterXXX - Great Plains - 199 turns. Previous was Acken - Babylon - Great Plains - 204 turns.

From a moderation standpoint, I think collecting all of the AARs in this thread would be most useful/convenient, rather than having 8 different threads (one for each difficulty level).

I've added a new empty post, with [Reserved] as the text, as the second post in this thread. You can edit that post to display results/standings by difficulty level as folks report their results and/or you sweep info from the HOF tables as they are updated.

Results from warlord to immortal seems pretty easy to beat.

I'll definitely try when I'll be back from my honeymoon in Portugal :)

I finished on Settler on Turn 151 (Domination) as Byzantium-Tiny Map-Tiny Islands and uploaded to HoF only to realize you required Standard Map Size...

Once more unto the breach, I finished on Settler on Turn 190 (Domination) as Byzantium-Standard Map-Tiny Islands...sadly 9 Turns longer than the current Best :(

I finished on Settler on Turn 151 (Domination) as Byzantium-Tiny Map-Tiny Islands and uploaded to HoF only to realize you required Standard Map Size...

You need also realize OP wants science victory :D

What a great thread, i will focus for sub 200 deity for a while, you should make a thread for domination, settler to deity as well.

Once more unto the breach, I finished on Settler on Turn 190 (Domination) as Byzantium-Standard Map-Tiny Islands...sadly 9 Turns longer than the current Best :(

Probably also need to learn about the OP rules as well.

My best try on settler : T192 with Shoshones. Pretty proud of me. T181 can be beat. :D
Inland game, 6 cities, 4 observatories. So, I think coastal cities are a must have, cargo ships clearly a great boost over caravans. Tiny Islands are certainly not a bad map for this level.

Also, I edit rules :
- Only Science games. Peaceful or with domination to enlarge you empire, but only a spaceship built and launched.
- Put all your post here and don't open a thread per level.

Attachments

• 2014-08-31_00001.jpg
    2014-08-31_00001.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 342
Turn 249 launch

Went with Korea, Pangaea, Hot, Arid, High seas, got coastal start, with salt, built 4 cities on coast for cargo ships. Was hard to resist the inland mountain range, but I did.

Went 4 city tradition, great library, NC on turn 80, education 105.

Stole 3 workers from Ethiopia, then forward settle between him, and dido... dido declared on ehtiopia... France settled the mountain range...

Dido takes 2 of 3 Ethiopian cities... I denounced dido, makes everyone happy, and then 10 turns later, with Poly, France, and Inca, I attack dido... and take her coastal city and coastal capital... France beat me to Addis ababa, but I liberated the other Ethiopian city.

Consolidated my empire, sent all food cargo ships to seoul for growth. Turn 160, scientific theory.
Took freedom.

Used Oxford for plastics at turn 195... was able to buy three research labs, cash is a problem, since the AI has so little.

Proposed Worlds fair, probably a mistake as I had to spend too much time getting it.

Finished with Seoul at pop 46, then 27, 27, 25, and dido's cities, 18, 20. After hubble, Changed food to Seoul to hammers, and built 2 space parts while teching, and bulbed 1 faith bought GS, and one spawned.

I know this will be beat, but it is a good finish for me. I have uploaded to HOF.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom