Deity question - How to boost my start?

Durak

Chieftain
Hi guys,

I've been lurking around these fora for a while, and decided to come out of the shadows to ask a question I can't seem to resolve:

How do I boost my start (up to education)?
This is the most general question, but more specifically there are three main weaknesses in my own play that I can see.

1. Worker stealing and early AI harassment
I almost never steal workers from the AI. I want to, but each time I try my scout/warrior inevitably gets insta-killed by the city ranged attack plus one/two warriors that are in range. I can try to wait for the AI warriors to go away, but that takes a lot of time, which is time not spent on finding ruins/CSs/other AIs.

On one of the Deity challenge games (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=531153&page=2) Olodune talked about taking a Zulu worker on T6, which I presume must be a totally unscouted attack. By turn 52 he managed to take two workers and two settlers. For me this is only possible if I go full archers, and sacrifice all else.

Q: How to successfully worker steal, and continue stealing/harassing without going full archers and sacrificing all else?

2. Warmongering and diplomacy
On the rare games that I do manage to steal a worker from an AI early on, I usually get DoW'ed before T100 because I'm universally disliked for being a warmonger. I must admit that I usually also attack 1 CS for another free worker, adding to my political isolation.

I've noticed most Deity players do the same though. They attack an AI, and keep harassing it for workers (the game by Olodune is a good example) plus declare on 1 CS and don't even make peace afterwards but instead use it as XP farm.

Q: How can you keep fighting a double war (1 AI, and 1 CS) without becoming a complete pariah?

Note: I have read Magma_dragoon's post about warmongering (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=516305), but IMO this is mostly only useful in a later stage (starting T50?) when you can start choosing who to befriend and who not to. In the very early stages, everyone is neutral, there are no trade routes, religions, lux trades, etc. (Only universal hatred for my Civ :lol:).

3. Early tech
Even on my fastest games, I can only get education around T110, in which case I try to ignore all else as much as possible and focus entirely on science. (I don't just go library first everywhere though, a man needs his archers.)

On these forums I see players waging wars and still finishing education faster than T110. Mostly they manage to build NC earlier on. But somehow I always have other priorities first (like building settlers).

Q: How to reach education by T100, and not sacrifice all else?

These are the three main points that I can see wrong with my own play. But maybe there are other things I'm doing wrong? Any and all suggestions welcome :). (Come to think of it, I almost never build guilds. I'd hate to spawn a musician or some other awful scientist-delaying GP. But this is more of a post T100 issue I think.)

Incidentally, it might be useful to know that I can win most/all games on immortal, and have even won a couple times on deity. (Each time through a super close T320 Science Victory.) I play BNW, but don't have all DLC, e.g. no wonders of the ancient world. (Do those slow the AI down by distracting them? Probably not huh.)

1. Sure, a worker steal is mainly an attack of opportunity. But waiting 2-3 turns for such an opportunity to arise is often not a big sacrifice.
A new scout is built much quicker than a worker, so exploration does not need to suffer.

About harassing: Unless you want to fight an early war there is no further harassment. In fact you continue by making (white) peace at the earliest opportunity, followed by a caravan which usually triggers a friendship request.

2. Declaring war is a very minor penalty, it should not influence your diplomacy too much. Check if the CS you attack is protected by anybody, that gives a bigger diplo hit.

arrange your whole early game plan around national college. Usually you can build 2 additional cities beforehand if you chop the library in one or manage to get enough gold to buy it.

Guild great persons do not delay other great persons, they are each on their own counter.

A note about CS worker stealing:
I find the best approach is to DOW the nearest CS as soon as I meet them if I am the first to meet them. So, if they give me 30 gold, I DOW. I often stay at war for a long time. This allows me to farm workers, train armies, and avoid diplo hits.

No one will be angry with you if you are already at war when they meet you.
Same goes for DOWing an AI really.

A note about worker stealing: you need to pillage. You can usually pillage something two tiles away from a city and eat the city's bombard attack only. If it's 3 tiles away, even better. The AI will send a worker to repair the pillage before too long. That's when you've got him.

My problem's that I've usually got too many stolen workers, and it's running my gold in the red. A couple workers have to be barb bait.

A couple workers have to be barb bait.

Surplus workers are also great for "positioning" enemy civ units. Need to weaken that line of 3 spearmen? Lure one towards you with a worker and pick him off with your archers. City siege? Lure the pesky ranged unit stationed in the city out with a worker bait.

Combine that with cavalry or a scout and you can get your worker back. The AI script doesn't seem to account for the fact that nabbing a worker can leave you exposed.

Thanks! Those are some really useful tips already. I'm definitely going to start putting more time into pillaging and waiting a couple of turns.

In case you meet an AI you want to steal a worker from, do you always wait to declare until you can take the worker immediately? Or do you immediately declare even if his worker is not in sight, and just pillage to get it out?

Even better: station a worker (not even a surplus one) on a CS border to lure in a barb. Recapture. Thanks for the influence.

I usually wait to declare war, but war is necessary before pillaging. If that's what gets the worker, then DoW first is what you have to do. I find it more commonly the case that the AI will expose a worker to a civ whom he thinks he is at peace with, though.

Thanks! Those are some really useful tips already. I'm definitely going to start putting more time into pillaging and waiting a couple of turns.

In case you meet an AI you want to steal a worker from, do you always wait to declare until you can take the worker immediately? Or do you immediately declare even if his worker is not in sight, and just pillage to get it out?

Either wait or pillage a ressource/luxury that is 3 tiles away from the city. That kind of spot is the perfect worker farm.

tbh my only real concern is whether or not I can get out alive. If they've got two Archers and a Warrior and there's no river to slow them down, it can take quite a while for the pieces to reach an alignment where your own raider isn't going to get mullered and the Worker rescued.

1. Sure, a worker steal is mainly an attack of opportunity. But waiting 2-3 turns for such an opportunity to arise is often not a big sacrifice.

So I've tried this quite a couple of times now, and it rarely works. Invariably the AI has three warriors or more who stalk my unit. I end up waiting 10 turns, and even when I do decide to move in it's usually an extremely close call whether my unit lives or not.

Pillaging to draw a worker out is not an option, because at this time the AI doesn't have any tiles at 3 tiles from his capital. And moving into range of the city is the same as stealing a worker: it gets my unit killed.

Does this only work on Deity but not Immortal? And at what turn in the game do you usually steal a worker? Less than T20 seems difficult to me...

it does work a bit more easily on Deity, since the AI starts with an extra settler, so its military units are spread between both cities and/or you can steal a worker as it moves between cities. Also, the Deity AI will pop out additional settlers a bit more quickly.

Top Bottom