An overhaul of air units

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
This might be an idea for Civ6 rather than Civ5 because I understand it would require a change in AI air combat. It's basically an idea to add diversity to air combat and to add units.

As some know, Civ4 and Civ3 required air reconnaissance to see a target and then bomb it. However, I understand that the AI could never properly handle this, so, in Civ5, they removed reconnaissance and just gave the planes a long line of sight (however, it's still problematic because bombers have a range that is longer than their LoS). My first suggestion is to bring back Reconnaissance where one plane would have to fly over the area to then allow others to bomb. It would also allow bombers to fully use their range provided a bomber flies over first to make targets appear.

However, the reason I want to bring back reconnaissance is to add an entirely new type of unit: Special Reconnaissance-only planes.

First unit - U2 Spy Plane. This unit would have a ridiculous range, but can only perform reconnaissance missions.
Advanced idea: To truly mirror history, make them vulnerable to SAMs, but not to regular AA Guns. Then you can allow them to peak into a city to see building improvements and production. They are spy planes after all.

(Second) unit - SR-71 Blackbird. This unit is probably not needed. However, if you go with the advanced option for the U2, this plane would have the added advantage of being invulnerable to SAMs.

Third unit (or second) - Predator Drone. I was struggling how to represent unmanned drones that are the cutting edge of airplane technology without taking away from Stealth Bombers. My idea is to essentially allow them to perform two missions per turn. First, they can perform a reconnaissance mission. However, once they do that, they can also bomb a unit they see there. Their attack power would be weaker than a stealth bomber, but they don't need to waste a unit with a recon.

I feel these planes would add a degree of depth without being complexity for the sake of complexity. Obviously, it depends on the AI being able to properly recon. However, it would expand strategic options by allowing you to see military movements and to expand the range of bombers. Finally, the Drone would allow you use a unit that is right on the line of future tech, but exists in the world today. I think that could be quite fun.

I agree with everything.

The only thing I'd add is that drones should only be able to attack units, not cities.

Yeah, I'm fine with that. It certainly wouldn't make sense to let them attack cities. I had considered the idea of letting them target the unit inside the city, which would be unique, but I don't see the point of adding too many bells and whistles until you're certain the regular idea works.

Actually, hitting the unit inside the city would be very realistic and fun. I don't see it being a problem, but I take your point on not being sure the idea works.

It's a nice idea, but that would reduce the Fighter units' utility significantly.

Right now, Bombers have a LoS of 2 tiles, just like most units, including the Carries.

The Fighters come with that promotion, Air Recon, which grants them a 6 tiles LoS (regardless of terrain obstacles, unlike most units).

So the Modern Era air units are just ok. The Great War Bomber's range is 6, just like the Triplane's LoS (whose range is 5).

The problem you've pointed out comes with the Atomic Era's units; the Bomber's range is 10, but the Fighters' Air Recon ability only grants them a 6 tiles LoS (which is lower than their own range: 8 tiles). The problem gets even worse in the Information Era.

So an easy solution would be updating the Fighter's and the Jet Fighter's LoS to catch up with the Bomber's and the Stealth Bomber's range, or at least with their own range. Another solution is to give the Fighters the ability to perform reconnaissance missions in the fashion you did suggested.

Probably a reconnaissance-only aircraft would be more accurate than giving its function to the fighters units, but I don't know if splitting an unit whose utility is already often neglected would work.

Interesting. Still not sure about the general balance - but at the very least more sight is needed

The Fighters come with that promotion, Air Recon, which grants them a 6 tiles LoS (regardless of terrain obstacles, unlike most units).

Well, part of my idea would be to have fighters act as early recon units. It wouldn't be automatic. You would have to click on an area to get LoS. It's only when the Spy Plane comes into existence that you can leave fighters to patrols and air sweeps. Even then, a fighter is multi-purpose. A Spy Plane can only see, not defend or attack. Although it would have a range of something significant, like 30-40 tiles. The point is to see things anywhere around the world, not just in a neighboring city.

Well, part of my idea would be to have fighters act as early recon units. It wouldn't be automatic. You would have to click on an area to get LoS. It's only when the Spy Plane comes into existence that you can leave fighters to patrols and air sweeps. Even then, a fighter is multi-purpose. A Spy Plane can only see, not defend or attack. Although it would have a range of something significant, like 30-40 tiles. The point is to see things anywhere around the world, not just in a neighboring city.

Yes, yes and yes.

I really despise that fighters lost the 'look-see' option. The LoS replacement sucks and isn't an adequate replacement at all.

Top Bottom