Votes: 81 22.4%
  • emperor

Votes: 95 26.3%
  • immortal

Votes: 82 22.7%
  • deity

Votes: 48 13.3%

• Total voters
I thought I'd drop down one level to Prince to adjust to the new settings. Why is it so easy? I'm #1 in all demographics and it's only the Medieval Era.

I chose Immortal for legitimate games. Deity wins are almost always "loaded".

Click random leader, pangea or continents, normal resources, default settings, no toggles, no saving/loading game, standard+ size map, my highest wins are Immortal.

Very, very few people can say differently.

I'm still emperor but it's definitely harder because the AI doesn't sit on its thumb while you're clearly going to be the first to build the space ship or have four of five social policy branches filled out.

Domination is only slightly harder. The AI's tactics got better, but most of them have gotten more diplomatic and less wanting to stab everything that moves (in my experiences).

Diplomacy is harder, not because money isn't as important, but because the UN is WAY back in the tech tree. Luckily the research lab comes sooner (to the point I actually make it instead of just RAing my way through the tree.

Click random leader, pangea or continents, normal resources, default settings, no toggles, no saving/loading game, standard+ size map, my highest wins are Immortal.

That's pretty much how I play too, except I prefer the Fractal map type. You should try it if you haven't, it's a nice change from continents/Pangea.

Yeah, but who really cares about who can say differently or "how legitimate" a win is.

I've had 3 games won at King, 2 runaways and the other fairly challenging. I think Emperor will be my level just as in vanilla. If I load the map in favour then it will be immortal. It is harder I guess as the AI is less easy to game with trades. This is something that made immortal fairly doable in vanilla.

Same here. Only I lose on Immortal most of the time. Emperor I can win 100% of the time. I'm stuck in the middle. :(

I've been playing Prince, but the games are ridiculously easy. It's time to move up a level. Moving up a level is difficult, because I do love wonder whoring. I can get nearly every single wonder on Prince level. It's so sweet. I like being #1 in score, etc, but I also like to have a little bit of challenge from the AI's. Not so on my last game on large Earth map, I had a score way over 1000 points higher than the nearest 2nd place AI.

Sticking on King, Im more builder and religion than fighter and thats last level you can actually build wonders reliably. Maybe a few games on Emperor, one day I'll do an emperor ethiopia or Maya game for easy religion, but mainly on King. Used to be prince on Vanilla, but more satisfying combat, still easy but improved ai defense requires actual thought when sieging, and better diplo means Im now fully on King except for maybe water map polynesian builder utopia.

In Vanilla civ 5 i could beat the game on deity with all civs, but in G&K i have so far only won using the Ottomans (free and endless number of ships on a water map...) and Arabia (also very easy since you have unlimited gold).
With the other civs im struggling... even though i could have won with Ethiopia if i just had sat there and pressed Next Turn for another two hours... :p

Ottomans for Conquest, Ethiopia for cultural (yepp!) and the Arabs for everything else = Easy win on Deity. At least for me.

Emperor is usually a guaranteed win for me (unless three AIs dogpile me during th early game :D). Immortal on the other hand seems to be luck, luck and luck. Nevertheless, I have beaten it once in G&K. Barely, by two or three turns, but it worked.

emperor to mess around and to have tons of fun, immortal for "serious games"
the jump from emperor to immortal is really big...

Well this is strange. I'm playing the same difficulty level on a new prince game, and the AI is now ahead of me. How does that happen? They are like 70 points ahead of me. I'm playing India on an Archipelago map. I had a bad starting position, but I have trouble believing starting position is that important. I'm going for a cultural victory, but I'm not sure I'll get it.

So 2 of my games I blew away the AI, this time the AI is beating me to wonders (I really wanted Petra :( ) and stuff, and already in the medieval era. Only difference was the 2 games were on an Earth map. But usually Earth map is harder since there is only one natural wonder. I don't understand how my games can be so wildly different.

I picked up Civ V and G&K on a whim and loved it. Haven't played since Civ 2 so I'm still quite horrible at the game, so Warlord is kind of where I'm at. Managing religion is tough, I like to play with a small concentrated few cities and if I don't really pay attention, that civ I just opened borders with converts me under my nose while I'm out exploring!

I really don't get it. Why am I struggling at this prince level game when the other one I had over a 1000 point lead? Something is really buggy about this game. I couldn't have gotten that much worse at this game in just a few hours.

I know both games were at Prince, unless for some reason the Earth map default is warlord or something?

I don't understand why I'm struggling so much with happiness and gold when my prior two games I had no gold and happiness problems. I really am worried about losing this game. This really seems like a bug to me. I'd like to post save games of the games in question, maybe someone else can come up with answers. The only differences between the games is one is an Earth map, the other is archipelago, and one other difference is I left all the victory conditions enabled, where as my prior game only domination was enabled (I thought this would give more challenge, as the AI would concentrate on warfare, but it didn't work).

Anyways, I failed to get a religion. What gives? How can they find religions so fast, but I need 600 faith, and I can only get 1 or 2 a turn from having 2 cities with 2 shrines? The AI clearly has to be cheating to take all the religions.

@Disgustipated
each game is new, new maps and different AI's, new spawn locations, etc.

if AI's are closer to each other, they will probably concentrate more on war early on instead of religion. On Earth maps, I'm assuming all the AI's are more spread apart, so they can be more of a builder type, and get those early shrines/faith giving buildings.
Also, new AI's means different flavors, some favor war (like Aztecs) and others favor religion (like Ethiopia).
As for your gold problems, you have different tiles in your new game, so in the first game you might have had a great set of tiles for money, but maybe in the 2nd game, you might have had less rivers (for less money).

Yeah, but who really cares about who can say differently or "how legitimate" a win is.

If you set up a 1v1 (human vs AI) with 0 (zero) city states in the information era, and beeline/rush build UN since the opponent can't vote for itself (if you build it), I'd call that "loaded".

Anyone can win deity like that, and varying degrees of "deck stacking".

I'm thinking of giving up on my current level prince game. no way I can get a cultural victory. Damn that victory is hard to get. The slow start hurt me bad. And having Rome get all the wonders from me hurt too.

I want to run an experiment though. Something is really fishy. There can't possibly be this much different in games. Something is really weird about the Earth map I think.

edit: upon further experimentation, I have concluded something was bug, and they must have fixed it in a recent patch. Prince level seems back to where it was a couple months ago. At first I thought I might have had it on warlord difficulty, but I never adjust those settings, so I know I wouldn't have screwed that up. So now I'm stuck on prince level, and can't seem to find a way to get better.

The bug that seems to have been corrected is the AI wasn't expanding very much. Now they are expanding like crazy, and leaving me in the dust. :(

I do better in Civ4 than in Civ5. So does that mean this is the more difficult game?

I play on Emperor; on that level, I win some, I lose some. I hold my own without pulling way ahead of everyone else. When it gets to the point that I am thrashing the AI every time (like when I used to play King) then I'll take a shot at Immortal. Enjoyable has to turn to boring.

The AI on G&K is an improvement, and they work far harder to win than in vanilla, and importantly they work far harder to prevent you from winning.

Top Bottom