The Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Question Thread II!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck is the deal with runners "working together"? I always hear about this when watching a marathon or even a comparably long cycling race. "She's pulling ahead... the pack is going to have to work together if they want to catch up. It looks like they're taking this very seriously." How can competing runners work together?

Well, for one thing, it's a lot easier to run fast or speed up when you're in a group. Being alone just makes it so much harder to speed up enough to catch someone more than a few second in front of you. Competing runners work together because it will make both of them go faster. Obviously you want to out sprint them in the last 100 meters but until that point, it's better to cooperate. Working with your teammates is even better because you can encourage one another but a rival will serve the same purpose of making you faster. When together, you can draft off of each other reducing wind resistance and push each other. If you run with someone, you won't want to walk at all because then they see you being weak. If you're alone then it's harder to be motivated.

@ Trajan: I'd say bulk trash is about once every 6 weeks or so

CCRunner7, thanks for the response, but I'm still somewhat confused.

Well, for one thing, it's a lot easier to run fast or speed up when you're in a group.

Why?

Being alone just makes it so much harder to speed up enough to catch someone more than a few second in front of you.

How come you run faster in a group?

Competing runners work together because it will make both of them go faster. Obviously you want to out sprint them in the last 100 meters but until that point, it's better to cooperate. Working with your teammates is even better because you can encourage one another but a rival will serve the same purpose of making you faster. When together, you can draft off of each other reducing wind resistance and push each other.

So the basic idea is that it's good motivation and there is less wind resistance?

How come you run faster in a group?

Competition, and a set pace both factor into it. I find that I run faster when running with other people; it's not a conscious effort, but I eventually do notice it happening.

So the basic idea is that it's good motivation and there is less wind resistance?

I think it's the same principle as geese flying in Vs; they take turns breaking the wind for the others. You can experience a similar effect if you drive close behind an 18-wheeler for a while.

I cannot fathom anyway of saying Lady to a woman that wouldn't be seen as arrogant.

Well, I suppose the first example that came to my mind doesn't apply to most people, but at an SCA event, it's pretty rude to call a lady anything other than "lady". But you can also get away with it if you're cute enough.

Competition, and a set pace both factor into it. I find that I run faster when running with other people; it's not a conscious effort, but I eventually do notice it happening.

I think it's the same principle as geese flying in Vs; they take turns breaking the wind for the others. You can experience a similar effect if you drive close behind an 18-wheeler for a while.

Unless there is a strong wind and you're trying to shield yourself from it, I doubt that runners are running fast enough to benefit from any sort of drag effect. Bikers, yes, definitely.

You've obviously never seen me run ;)

Seriously though, even if there isn't an actual physical effect on your speed, drafting off of other runners makes you feel much faster. If you're faster psychologically you'll be faster physically as well.

You've obviously never seen me run ;)

Spoiler :

Question of my own: Is it me or has the expression "lol" lost any and all meaning? Lol is supposed to mean "laughing out loud", but now people seem to use it to express just mild amusement, even if they didn't actually laugh out loud. People even say "i lold irl", meaning "I laughed out loud in real life", which I take to mean they actually laughed out loud. So why do they have to add irl? Is it because idiots have flooded the market with lols depleting their value?

So, Worcester is pronounced as something like "wustuh".

Are there any other names in New England I should know have a weird pronunciation?

So, Worcester is pronounced as something like "wustuh".

Are there any other names in New England I should know have a weird pronunciation?

Worcester is pronounced "Wurster." It's the English pronounciation.

Leicester is pronounced "Lester."

Likewise, anything ending in "shire" is pronounced like the word "sure," so Lincolnshire is pronounced "Link-un-shurr."

How'd you guys (and Lucy) decide what you wanted to do with your life career-wise? A good amount of you have already finished college and have careers, and I'm pretty sure an equal amount of you are finishing up college and have a pretty good idea of what you're going to do.

When did you decide? How did you decide? How long did you go through college having no clue what you were going to do, or did you go to college with a set plan already in mind...?

I don't know. I feel like I have absolutely no idea what I really want to do and I'm kind of worried that I'll never find anything I could see myself doing for the rest of my life.

Worcester is pronounced "Wurster." It's the English pronounciation.

Leicester is pronounced "Lester."

Likewise, anything ending in "shire" is pronounced like the word "sure," so Lincolnshire is pronounced "Link-un-shurr."

The thing I absolutely love to do when in New England is refuse to acknowledge their pronunciations and just say it like it looks. Really pisses them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom