Ideas for Total War games after Empire.

True, they might not actively help you, but when you play as Poland, you're mighty glad to have The Holy Roman Empire as one, and not an enemy.

Anyhow, an other idea for when they're done with Rome II:

Tao: Total War.

Target: Asia

Period: +- 400 AD until +-1200

Reason: Several big cultures, idem for religions. A period where things were happening in asia, whereas the muslims were just emerging, europe was plundered by vikings, vandals, goths & ...

None of the historical events in those regions there are very well known, but they could prove a perfect breedingground for a TW game.

There's enough smaller "tribes" that can be rebels, enough weird troops for a variety of units, Japanese & Mongol raiders are a possibility...

Heck even wonders could be a score thingy

True, they might not actively help you, but when you play as Poland, you're mighty glad to have The Holy Roman Empire as one, and not an enemy.

The problem is that the HRE isn't much less likely to attack you when it's allied as it is when it's neutral.

American Civil War, Italian Unification and German Unification off the top of my head due to the types of warfare Total War promotes. They should work on how to implement more modern warfare. World War II would be incredible if done right.

I'm not convinced that the Total War engine could manage the strategic conception of 'the front', which makes modern warfare very difficult. Total War armies are points on the map; the armies of the twentieth century tended to be very long lines.

I'm not convinced that the Total War engine could manage the strategic conception of 'the front', which makes modern warfare very difficult. Total War armies are points on the map; the armies of the twentieth century tended to be very long lines.

I see no reason at all why Total War should try to model 20th Century warfare in any case - it's hardly a neglected area in game design, or one that's not supported by either large-scale classical wargames or by grand strategy games.

What Total War does mostly is to take historical time periods that are often popular among tabletop wargame enthusiasts (the same types of game its tactical engine is modelled on), and fit them into a broader strategic campaign context.

And except for Medieval, most of these games fill a gap in the market that other games tend not to - there are any number of classical era wargames and no shortage of strategy games from the same period, but a limited number that combine the two, for instance.

I'm still holding out for "Pike & Shot: Total War". It would serve as a nice bridge between Medieval and Empire and combines musket fire and pikemen.

Stroessner: Total War

Top Bottom