RSG4 NOW Emperor Spain

And then it will be:

5. Hittites
6. Dutch
7. Arabians

Nah, the Dutch after the Chinese so we have to fight Swiss Mercenaries, then the Arabians. The Hittites are on their on silly island or something, and we don't meet them until late Middle Ages.

For true NOW pain, you'd fight in this order:

1. Greece
2. Rome
3. Dutch
4. France
5. India
6. Ottomans
7. Germany

Just our luck that we're up against Hoplites, then Bowmen, then Riders.

Bowmen aren't so bad, and we can hope to get rid of China before riders. We just need to get through the Greeks quickly. Early cats and AC may let us do this.

Sorry, finished my turnset but hadn't got the files off my Civ3 computer yet. I am now posting. i haven't seceded, just took a while succeeding at succession. If I got the right file, I have succeded at Succession...
Spoiler :

Pre-flight: CivAssist 2, Word running. Get the save loaded.

Non-Combat
Workers 1
Slaves 0

Military units:
Warriors 2
Archers 1
Curragh 1

Contacts-Target list
1: Greece=>War Despotism, Weak to
2: Babylon=>Peace Despotism, Weak to
3: China=>Peace Despotism, Weak to
4: Maya=>Peace Despotism, Weak to

Capital Size 3, grows in 2, Archer, change to Spear

Sliders
2/7/1, Mathematics in 23 turns at +2 gpt, 31 gold in the bank.

Press Enter:

IBT: Madrid Spear=>Worker.

Turn 1, 2110 BC: Move Settler pair 1 north to keep proper AW spacing.

IBT: Nothing

Turn 2, 2070 BC:Found Seville beside Dyes. Start a worker.

IBT: Barcelona Warrior=>Spear.

Turn 3, 2030 BC : Begin mining BG.

IBT: Madrid Worker=>Barracks.

Turn 4, 1990 BC:With the Ivory hooked up, lower lux rate to 0% and raise science to 100%.

Turn 5, 1950 BC: Warrior finds Wines near Nineveh, thats 4 nearby luxes, meaning we are on the major landmass.

IBT: Workers finish mining BG.

Turn 6, 1910 BC: Start mining other BG.

Turn 7, 1870 BC: Move scouts, nothing of interest.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 8, 1830 BC: Move scouts, nothing of interest.

IBT: Nothing.

Turn 9, 1790 BC: Move scouts, China used their one worker to build a colony. Can you say dumb?

IBT: Madrid Barracks=>Settler.

Turn 10, 1750 BC: That’s it for a very quiet turn-set.

Non-Combat
Workers 1

Military units:
Warriors 2
Archers 1
Spearman 1
Curragh 1

Contacts-Target list
1: Greece=>War Despotism, Weak to
2: Babylon=>Peace Despotism, Weak to
3: China=>Peace Despotism, Weak to
4: Maya=>Peace Despotism, Weak to

Capital Size 4, grows in 2, Settler in 5.

Sliders
2/7/1, Mathematics in 6 turns at -1 gpt, 40 gold in the bank.

The save:

Turn 9, 1790 BC: Move scouts, China used their one worker to build a colony. Can you say dumb?

That's great! :lol: Our civ is now producing a new shirt that looks something like this:

China
:stupid:

It will ensure our financial success for the remainder of the game.

Roster
Raliuven (on deck)
CKS (warming up)
Toxicman007 (waiting)
TheOverseer714 (just played)
Cyc (Playing)

1750 BC Preturn

3 Towns
Madrid - 4 - Settler in 5
Barcelona - 3 - Spear in 3
Seville - 1 - Worker in 2

Luxuries
Ivory (Barcelona)

Units
2 Workers
3 Warriors
1 Archer
1 Spear
1 Curragh

4 Tribes known, at war with Greece.

We are a backwards people researching Mathematics, due in 6.

Barb Camp 4 tiles East of Seville, Barb 2 tiles East of Seville.

Changed Madrid citizen from Cattle to Forest. Settler now due in 4 rather than 5. Growth in 4 rather than 2.

Personal note: I believe Seville was founded in the wrong spot. I believe I would have placed it 1 tile South of where it is. No biggie.

Hit Enter ~
--------------------------------------------
IBT Barb moves NW into Mountains. Greeks request an audience. Alex will give us peace if we give him Masonry. We decline his offer.
Turn 1
1725 BC
Curragh can move 3 tiles! Advance it West.
Momentarily consider trashing China's Iron Colony, but move Me First West.
IBT zzz
Turn 2
1700 BC
Worker completes in Seville, set to Spear. Move Worker West to road Sugar.
Move Curragh SW - Finds Ashur.
Move Me First West
IBT zzz
Turn 3
1675 BC
Spear in Barcelona completes, start Worker (in 5). Fortify Spear.
Seville Worker roads sugar.
Gave Madrid citizen chopping trees the day off.
Move Me First NW long side the Mayans. Mayans will not trade with us.
We are weak to them and Greece. We are average to Babylon. Strong to China.
IBT Saw Curragh move East towards our Curragh, then stop and go NW into Fog (unable to identify nationality).
Turn 4
1650 BC
Settler completes in Madrid, set to Spear.
Was going to send Madrid Settler and Spear ENE to Hill with river, but I sent the Spear first and found a Greek Archer waiting in the Mountains next to it. Stopped playing while I reconsidered a new city location. I didn't want to chance losing the Spear and/or the Settler by going East. So, as an alternate location I chose the Plains on the coast North of Seville (just on the other side of the Mountains). There was Fish up there. I then sent the Settler to where the Spear was to complete the pair.
Foreign Curragh to the North turned out to be the Netherland's. They will not trade with us, nor will they lend us any gold. But William will give us Pair of wooden shoes he doesn't need any more. :rolleyes:
IBT Second Greek Archer arrives 1 tile South of the first.
Turn 5
1625 BC
Send Settler pair North towards Seville.
Curragh continues NW, as does Me First.
Reduce Science to 60% for +3 gold.
Math in 1
----------------------------------------------
IBT Finish Mathematics, start Iron Working in 11 (+0gold)
Volcano near Ninevah errupts for the second time this session.
Second Greek Archer joins first on Mountain top.
Turn 6
1600 BC
Workers in Madrid finish Gold Mine, start roading.
Seville Worker finishes road and starts irrigating Sugar.
Me First and Currag continue SW.
----------------------------------------------
IBT Both Greek Archers move NW after Settler pair. Lone Greek Archer appears at the edge of the Jungle 1 tile South of Madrid Cattle.
Turn 7
1575 BC
Move Settler pair into Seville.
Me first continues West along Mayan border.
Curragh finds second Netherlands Curragh heading East. Our Curragh goes around it and moves West.
Seville changed to Catapult.
------------------------------------------------
IBT Greek Archer pair move North onto the Hils 2 tiles SE of Seville. They will probably continue North to Flank Seville and attack. Greek Archer by Madrid moves East into Jungle Fog. Netherlands Warrior appears NW of Barcelona.
Turn 8
1550 BC
Spear completes in Madrid, starts Catapult. (in 4)
Worker completes in Barcelona, starts Catapult. (in 20)
Fortify Settler's Spear in Seville, and send Settler North (it sees the Barb fortified in the Mountains to the NE.
Fortify the Spear in Madrid.
Move Barc Worker SW to irrigate plains.
1.9.0, -1gpt, IW in 9.
------------------------------------------------
IBT Lone Greek Archer moves North to Madrid Lake. Hoplite move West out of Mountains where Archers camped. Greek Archer pair move up along side Seville, which is garrisoned by the fortified Spear from the Settler pair and a fortified Seconds Please Warrior. A total of 4 Greeks in our line of sight (and 1 Barb). Netherlands Warrior heads North into Fog.
Turn 9
1525 BC
Madrid Workers finish road and move North of Madrid to mine BG.
Barc Worker starts to irrigate plains.
Settler moves NW.
Me First and Curragh continue SW.
Change Barcelona citizen to work Forest, brings us an extra shield. Barc Cat prodruction reduced to 10 from 19.

We await the Seville attack!!!
-------------------------------------------------
IBT First Greek Archer from pair (a vet) attacks Seville Reg Spear and loses, taking 1HP from the Spear. The second Greek Archer (an Elite) attacks the wounded Spear and loses, redlining the Spear, who gets promoted to Vet. A loud sigh of relief is heard from Seconds Please...
Madrids borders expand and the Hoplite moves across them. Because of the Hoplite, the Madrid Workers will not be able to complete the mining of the BG, unless its course is changed. The Lone Greek Archer moves North to the NE side of Madrid Lake.

The people admire our achievements so much, they offer to expand our Palace (see pic).
Turn 10
1500 BC
Seville Worker finishes irrigating, moves to Dyes to connect. Finds a new Greek Archer in the Mountains to the SE.
Settler moves North and holds there. Someone will have to take out that Barb quickly to we can Settle the Plains just North of it.
Me First moves SW and sees the coast. Mayan city of Yaxchilan separates the Curragh and Me First.
1500 BC save
1.8.0, +1 gpt, IW in 5
Average to Netherlands
Strong to China
Average to Babylon
Weak to Mayans
Weak to Greece

1 Settler
4 Workers
3 Warriors
1 Archer
3 Spears
1 Curragh

Nice post turn write-up! I am surprised you sent the settler so far afield, I left room for 2 towns between Madrid and Seville, we need to settle tightly with it being a war-game and such limited space. CxxC is best when war is continuous, easier to reinforce threatened towns. I hope that my instincts were okay, I've done lots of war-games, so that that's how I play.

Nice post turn write-up! I am surprised you sent the settler so far afield, I left room for 2 towns between Madrid and Seville, we need to settle tightly with it being a war-game and such limited space. CxxC is best when war is continuous, easier to reinforce threatened towns. I hope that my instincts were okay, I've done lots of war-games, so that that's how I play.

Well, as I stated, I intended to take the Settler to the Hill with the river, just South of the Greek Archer in the 1500 BC pic. That location was shown to be no good and I didn't want to try and go NE into the desert and by the Barb Camp. (Which turned out to be a good decision, as Greece uses that Mountain range to bring the troops in.)

Could have gone up by the large lake, and it would have been a close, accessable small town. But when I saw Babylon moving in, and noticed that nice spot of the Plains on the other side of the Mountains, I saw a port on the East side of the land mass. With Fish, if it was ever to expand. So I went for it.

Madrid can easily pump out another Settler to fill that large lake spot after the Cat.

I looked, but didn't really find any discussion on city sites. It was mentioned some, but mostly for the Ivory. The Northern site can be settled soon, just as the Large Lake site, and I believe we'll find good purpose for that Northern site.

Hope I didn't throw a wrench into anyone's gears. I guess I'll ask next time.

Looks like I'm up! I don't have a problem with the city placement, per se. Just their defense! :lol:

I'll try to fill in a spot or two. ;) I've got the save and I'll try to turn it out tonight if all goes well.

Roster
Raliuven (Playing)
CKS (on deck)
Toxicman007 (warming up)
TheOverseer714 (waiting)
Cyc (just played)

Well, as I stated, I intended to take the Settler to the Hill with the river, just South of the Greek Archer in the 1500 BC pic. That location was shown to be no good and I didn't want to try and go NE into the desert and by the Barb Camp. (Which turned out to be a good decision, as Greece uses that Mountain range to bring the troops in.)

Could have gone up by the large lake, and it would have been a close, accessable small town. But when I saw Babylon moving in, and noticed that nice spot of the Plains on the other side of the Mountains, I saw a port on the East side of the land mass. With Fish, if it was ever to expand. So I went for it.

Madrid can easily pump out another Settler to fill that large lake spot after the Cat.

I looked, but didn't really find any discussion on city sites. It was mentioned some, but mostly for the Ivory. The Northern site can be settled soon, just as the Large Lake site, and I believe we'll find good purpose for that Northern site.

Hope I didn't throw a wrench into anyone's gears. I guess I'll ask next time.

You did fine, the turn-player has to be the one to do stuff, and I was not criticizing, just noticing. You made the right call, not risking a precious settler.

lurker's comment: any core placement of the new town had been better than that crappy and barb-infested area where your settler is now. you sure you are playing a military game here? with undefended settlers, no roads, and 2nd and 3rd ring towns while there is not a single close 1st ring town built?
i fear the game will not be forgiving enough on that level for that...
t_x

We haven't been doing a good job of following the plans when we pass on turnsets, not that we've had enough discussion. Neither new city went where it was supposed to go.

How about a dotmap? If I have time, I'll make a proposal, but my time is pretty limited until I get my grades in.

Hey temp. Thanks for your comment. I knew I was in trouble when I saw Seville.

I never play All War games, and I never play on maps the size of a dime. I'm here to learn.

Okay, I finally had time to take a good look at the save and start forming a strategy for the next ten turns, but I think we need to talk and a dot map wouldn’t be bad (as CKS suggested).

Although I usually like a looser settling pattern, I think given the land mass and our position we will need to pack some cities into our 1st ring. We can turn out cats from some of these and the occassional worker and disband them later to make space.

I'm not sure on the purple dot or 'X'. If we use the dot I think we can fit the pink dot in as well and it puts that 'front' city on a hill. The X give access to the water tiles.

Civilian units:
Settler 1
Workers 4
Slaves 0

Military units:
Archer 1
Warriors 3
Spear 3
Curragh 1

Unit Support:
Total Units: 13
Allowed Units: 12
Support Cost: 1 gpt

Enemies/Hit list:
Greece=>Despotism=> Weak compared to=>6 cities
Mayan=>Despotism=> Weak compared to=>6 cities
Babylon=>Despotism=> Average compared to=>3 cities
China=>Despotism=> Strong compared to=>2 cities
Netherlands=>Despotism=> Average compared to=>4 cities

We have 3 cities.

Victory
Spain % of World Area: 4
Spain % of World Population: 9

Research: Sciene: 80%, Iron Working, 5 turns @ +1gpt, 41gp in the bank.

Okay, I’m not happy with our wandering settler. I could just drop him in place but that might put us in conflict with the Babylonians. We are average to them for the moment but I don’t want to start a war with them. If I drop the city, we’ll be pushing on their boarders – and it looks like their capital. We could risk a flip.

Other choice is to walk him back to the red dot which will take 5 turns.

It’s looking a little dicey. I don’t think we can spare the manpower to shave a settler off Madrid for a little while. We need military to keep the Greeks from wandering around our lands. :sad: The hoplite could freely pillage us if the AI had a brain. As soon as that archer steps off the hill I’ll see if we can whack him.

Technology

I’m not sure why we are hording mathematics? There is no reason to hold the tech, we do not have a monopoly. Netherlands already have it, there is just nothing they need from anyone else.

We can get the following:
Babylon: Iron Working & Pottery & 22gp. Alternative we could get Pottery, 10gp & one of either The Wheel or Mysticism.
Mayans: 51gp and any one of the following: Pottery, Iron Working, The Wheel, Mysticism. Or we can get Writing if we pay 15gp.
China: Writing & 9gp. Or Iron working, Pottery & 9gp.

Figure we can pull writing off China and maybe one or two of the others from the Mayans or Babs and some gold. The question is, what do we want?

If that Barb moves West, go North and try to get to nuetral land. If he moves NW, go SW two spaces and plant.

I'd move your red out to the lakeshore (coast). I've numbered my other suggestions.

Raliuvens look okay, but I would move red dot 1 NW, yellow dot 1 W, and the purple dot 1 S if Greece doesn't beat us there. The settler way north needs to be 2 SW on the lake. Tradewise, I like the Iron and Pottery trade wirh Babylon, then shop it (the same turn) around for whatever you can, it will lose value very quickly and get traded around giving us nothing. We might as well get maximum value out of it.

Going from Raliuven's dots (thanks for the dotmap, Raliuven):
Red dot can go 1 NW if the water is fresh, which I think it is, but I'm not sure.
Leave yellow dot where it is, but put another city where the hoplite is.
I'd like purple dot 1 NE, right under the cow, with another city 2 S of that, on the hill.
I like the other dots where they are.

Agreed that the settler goes 2 SW. As soon as it gets planted, we need to start SoZ, probably in Seville. It is 200 shields, but it pays off in only 20 -25 turns.

I'd take writing from China. Then iron working from Babylon. Last, get whatever we can from the Mayans with money.

Top Bottom