Fall of Rome fail

General McUgly

Chieftain
Playing Fall of Rome, I'm convinced its broken.

The barbs get 100 VP for each city they capture, but you get jack for recapturing or even capturing enemy capitals? At least in the Imperialism scenario you could score victory points as good as the Europeans.

Here is what craps on the fragging cake for me: theres no way to produce more happiness. I'm sitting at 44+ unhappiness, with no way to take it down so how do I deal with that while I'm trying to expand and cover for East Rome's sorry excuse of an army?

Well its kind of the point of playing as Rome. Things get worst over time.

Although I do think that the patches and updates to the game have made the scenario much more difficult than before. There were a bunch of threads a while back talking about that issue.

Well its kind of the point of playing as Rome. Things get worst over time.

Although I do think that the patches and updates to the game have made the scenario much more difficult than before. There were a bunch of threads a while back talking about that issue.
I don't mind the handicaps, even the the 70% combat bonus Boudica gets...but there should be ways to combat unhappiness. A 33% penalty to my own troops combined with a 70% bonus to the enemy's forces is an overwhelming handicap.

I don't mind the handicaps, even the the 70% combat bonus Boudica gets...but there should be ways to combat unhappiness. A 33% penalty to my own troops combined with a 70% bonus to the enemy's forces is an overwhelming handicap.

I completely agree with you :) I recently tried replaying this scenario and found it frustratingly difficult.

A lot of the older scenarios do suffer from the changes to the game made since then. Ever tried playing wonders of the ancient world scenario today? :)

It would be nice (although unrealistic) for Fireaxis to update a lot of the older ones if they were to have one big final update, which is itself questionable; a lot of people seem to think that what we have today is the final product.

It would be nice (although unrealistic) for Fireaxis to update a lot of the older ones if they were to have one big final update, which is itself questionable;

Why is that unrealistic? I'd say it makes perfect sense (and from my point of view would actually be mandatory) to keep official scenarios provided with the complete edition up to date and in a state that they are playable. Anything else is just cheap and sloppy...

Why is that unrealistic? I'd say it makes perfect sense (and from my point of view would actually be mandatory) to keep official scenarios provided with the complete edition up to date and in a state that they are playable. Anything else is just cheap and sloppy...

Haha. While I agree with you 100%, its been 3+ years and besides the new world scenario, they haven't updated any of the other ones, so it would be wishfull thinking to assume they would do more when it doesn't really bring them any monetary returns. Doesn't mean i'm not hopeful that they do, but...

Like the mess that Broken Star became in Civ 4, included in BTS? Or does that not count as an "official" scenario? :)

Rome's luxaries are supposed to suck.

As the barbs I think you are really supposed to raze to the ground the Roman cities that have no luxuries such as Italy.

Broken Star scenario.. that was kinda fun. I remember it.

And Fall of rome is fun, you're supposed to be crippled.
Despite all the cripples i suffer through.
All the barbarians is no match for me xD
Managed to win as western rome by killing every single barbarian faction.
Silly OP Barbarians got played by me.
What's that, your cities is buried in forest?
Meatgrinder time with workers chopping trees down for ballistas to lay siege on cities!
If you want to win as western rome, you really must take at least one barbarian faction out of the game somehow by beating them to the curb so hard then it will get easier from there on.
And make sure to send out workers to remove stupid worthless roads sucking down like over 20gpt! XD
Only reason why you have ridiculously long roads in africa is because they're put there like a bad habit left over from previous civ 3/4 rome scenarios!

Fall of rome is only good scenario in Civ5. Everything else sucks hard.

I completely agree with you :) I recently tried replaying this scenario and found it frustratingly difficult.

A lot of the older scenarios do suffer from the changes to the game made since then. Ever tried playing wonders of the ancient world scenario today? :)

It would be nice (although unrealistic) for Fireaxis to update a lot of the older ones if they were to have one big final update, which is itself questionable; a lot of people seem to think that what we have today is the final product.
No. I'm only using G&K and the happiness is still broken. Religion could have been a nice way to balance it out if it was implimented.

Rome's luxaries are supposed to suck.

As the barbs I think you are really supposed to raze to the ground the Roman cities that have no luxuries such as Italy.

Hm. Maybe if I do the same thing as Rome? Burn enemy cities instead of keeping them? Can I go back and raze a city I puppeted?

Broken Star scenario.. that was kinda fun. I remember it.

And Fall of rome is fun, you're supposed to be crippled.
Despite all the cripples i suffer through.
All the barbarians is no match for me xD
Managed to win as western rome by killing every single barbarian faction.
Silly OP Barbarians got played by me.
What's that, your cities is buried in forest?
Meatgrinder time with workers chopping trees down for ballistas to lay siege on cities!
If you want to win as western rome, you really must take at least one barbarian faction out of the game somehow by beating them to the curb so hard then it will get easier from there on.
And make sure to send out workers to remove stupid worthless roads sucking down like over 20gpt! XD
Only reason why you have ridiculously long roads in africa is because they're put there like a bad habit left over from previous civ 3/4 rome scenarios!

Fall of rome is only good scenario in Civ5. Everything else sucks hard.

Taking out that stupid road was the first thing I did.:lol:

I made the mistake of thinking the scenario would be historically accurate, so I didn't bother keeping many units on my borders with England. BIG mistake.

Taking out that stupid road was the first thing I did.:lol:

I made the mistake of thinking the scenario would be historically accurate, so I didn't bother keeping many units on my borders with England. BIG mistake.

And if you're careful with choosing which policy to take, your army strength will last for a long long time. Just accept the -33% penalty for unhappy last if you can do it. Ideally by the point your armies is sucking so hard that most of the barbarians is dead.

Persia don't have that huge barbarian bonus. I forgot about mongols if they had it or not because they was a pushover in the game I played for some reason but I think they didn't have the bonus either. If you can keep your legionnaires alive.. They will reach crazy levels in this scenario enough to negate the bonuses the barbarians get if you play carefully. xD Use fresh units for expendables to keep your precious elites.

No. I'm only using G&K and the happiness is still broken. Religion could have been a nice way to balance it out if it was implimented.

Hm. Maybe if I do the same thing as Rome? Burn enemy cities instead of keeping them? Can I go back and raze a city I puppeted?

If you are playing Rome, there is a much higher chance that the cities you capture will have luxuries and you may able be able to trade with the other Rome, but yes, any barb city that doesn't have any luxuries or is one you already have two copies of should also be razed.

Yes, you can annex a Puppet and then select raze.

Like the mess that Broken Star became in Civ 4, included in BTS? Or does that not count as an "official" scenario? :)

Yes, absolutely. I never said everything was perfect in Ci IV, did I? ;)

I had another problem with this scenario. I was playing with ERE, deity, Sassanids and Huns were stoped in Anatolia and pushed back to my original borders, avoided growth in majority of cities, had 7 strategic cities with 10+ pop, all other cities with 3 pop, gold focus, i had 42 happiness, owned the scenario, saved then quit the game. When i loaded the next day, i found out that I have -3 happiness and ragequited. Anyone had this sort of problem?

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try Rome, sounds like a challenge! My first game as Atilla went real well! Steamrolled Persia and Eestern Roman Empire burning all but their best cities with luxes as production/healing bases and capturing their capitals. He is overpowered with the +2 movement and no maintenance costs or horse costs for horse archers. I rarely lost a unit as I could just run merrily away in a single turn. By the end of the game I was steamrolling on 3 fronts and had almost 75 units including a fleet of triremes, 40 horse archers, 15 horseman, 10 battering rams, and 7 catapults. I can imagine fighting him would be a nightmare. Just don't let him take that first city and things will go better for you.

I had another problem with this scenario. I was playing with ERE, deity, Sassanids and Huns were stoped in Anatolia and pushed back to my original borders, avoided growth in majority of cities, had 7 strategic cities with 10+ pop, all other cities with 3 pop, gold focus, i had 42 happiness, owned the scenario, saved then quit the game. When i loaded the next day, i found out that I have -3 happiness and ragequited. Anyone had this sort of problem?

I had that problem with the Scramble for Africa scenario and was really puzzled. I just went with it and finished it out, but it was annoying having built up so much happiness for nothing.

Playing Fall of Rome, I'm convinced its broken.

The barbs get 100 VP for each city they capture, but you get jack for recapturing or even capturing enemy capitals? At least in the Imperialism scenario you could score victory points as good as the Europeans.

Here is what craps on the fragging cake for me: theres no way to produce more happiness. I'm sitting at 44+ unhappiness, with no way to take it down so how do I deal with that while I'm trying to expand and cover for East Rome's sorry excuse of an army?

This is completely working as designed. If anything, Rome is relatively OP.

I finished the scenario, and in the end i won, but i wanted to grow my core production cities to pump units to conquer the Sassanids and Huns, but with no happiness that was not an option, and i had to entrench because AI has massive production bonus.
So my advice for people who want to play Fall of Rome is play the scenario in one breath till the end, dont load :):):
)

Top Bottom