Votes: 1 0.6%
  • HUNS: Battering Ram Horse Archer

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • SWEDEN: Hakkapeliitta Carolean

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • SHOSHONE: Pathfinder Comanche Riders

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
The Conquistador is what I love. They can settle cities. I use them as a mix, I send them out as explorers, I use them in my army, or they're my settlers. Plus, no more Barbarians killing your Settlers, the Conquistador kicks their butts

The only problem I have with Conquistadors is that, by the time I find a place to build a suitable city, they have a bunch of promotions and I have a hard time sacrificing them.

Maybe it would be an easier decision for me if they didn’t get used up when founding a city. Instead, maybe when they found a city, they just get their “XP for next promotion” level bumped up. So a brand new Conquistador with 0 XP needs 10 XP to get its first promotion. If it founds a city, it now needs 30 XP to get its first promotion. If it founds another city, it now needs 60 XP to get its first promotion.

This may seem OP, but you’ll still take the Happiness hit to found new cities. In fact, maybe the option to found a new city can be grayed out if your Happiness is in the red (similar to how you can’t build/buy Settlers if your Happiness is too low).

The only problem I have with Conquistadors is that, by the time I find a place to build a suitable city, they have a bunch of promotions and I have a hard time sacrificing them.

Maybe it would be an easier decision for me if they didn’t get used up when founding a city. Instead, maybe when they found a city, they just get their “XP for next promotion” level bumped up. So a brand new Conquistador with 0 XP needs 10 XP to get its first promotion. If it founds a city, it now needs 30 XP to get its first promotion. If it founds another city, it now needs 60 XP to get its first promotion.

This may seem OP, but you’ll still take the Happiness hit to found new cities. In fact, maybe the option to found a new city can be grayed out if your Happiness is in the red (similar to how you can’t build/buy Settlers if your Happiness is too low).

Only problem with this suggestion is that it doesn't take into account the extreme happiness the AI gets on higher difficulties. While a human would in the red after settling 3 new cities with 1 conquistador, the AI could literally settle 12 and still be at like 10 happiness.

Only problem with this suggestion is that it doesn't take into account the extreme happiness the AI gets on higher difficulties. While a human would in the red after settling 3 new cities with 1 conquistador, the AI could literally settle 12 and still be at like 10 happiness.

Colosseum spam for the win

They could make it a one time use ability like the Nau's to keep it from being too OP.

I vote for the Huns.
Both units become available at roughly the same time, and they compliment each other well.
The horse archers let you get rid of enemy troops quickly and without too many losses, in the mean time the battering rams will straight up destroy cities.

I wonder... which units in the game do NOT have a UU replacement? The only example I can think of is the CANNON, though I'm sure there are more.

I wonder... which units in the game do NOT have a UU replacement? The only example I can think of is the CANNON, though I'm sure there are more.

Artillery
GDR
Rocket Artillery
Gatling
Machine gun
Bazooka
Paratrooper
XCOM
Infantry
Marine
And more

Most modern units don't have replacements, I think the latest replacement is like the B17

Quite a few, actually.

I can't think of any UUs in the cannon, artillery, rocket artillery line. There are earlier UUs (battering ram, ballista, hwach'a), but none afterwards.

There are also no UU replacements for composite bows, gatling guns, A-T guns, helicopters, machine guns, bazookas, landships, modern armor, AA guns, Mobile SAMs, paratroopers or marines (and certainly none for GDRs and X-Com units). Nor are there UU replacements for late game ships (subs, battleships, carriers, destroyers, etc.) or for GW bombers, triplanes or stealth bombers. There are undoubtedly others.

Still surprised there hasn't been a comp bow replacement. A cannon replacement could be cool too. Anything after artillery would be kind of meh. Combat stops being about strategy then. Just artillery or bomber spam with some boats and tanks mixed in.

Besides, by the time you get to Knights, its probably too late in the game to be founding new cities.

How do people work this? Is it worth going one city heavy science focus till Chivalry and then using a Conquistador to drop down a few more cities?

Keshik/Khan is leading by a long way - and it should. Both unique units are designed to go together! Talk about synergy.

Other than that, I voted for Sweden. Both UU's come at around the same time, one cavalry/lancer (pillaging, flanking and stacking with GG's (Sweden's other synergistic UU benefit) and a SERIOUS rifleman upgrade).

I also think the Ottoman's Sipahi/Janissary is up there - again 2 UU's that appear at the same time.

Keshik/Khan is leading by a long way - and it should. Both unique units are designed to go together! Talk about synergy.

Other than that, I voted for Sweden. Both UU's come at around the same time, one cavalry/lancer (pillaging, flanking and stacking with GG's (Sweden's other synergistic UU benefit) and a SERIOUS rifleman upgrade).

I also think the Ottoman's Sipahi/Janissary is up there - again 2 UU's that appear at the same time.

lol, it's only leading by two. ;-)

I'm still for England, because Mongolia allows you to sweep a single continent, but England gives you land AND sea dominance. There is nothing more glorious than 5 SOTL with +1 range, and using them to snatch enemy capitals with a wee caravel.

You will dominate the seas for the rest of the game starting in Renaissance.

Yeah, that's my problem. I always think about civs from the player's POV and completely dismiss the AI's use of them. Good thing I'm not on the balancing committee.

They could make it a one time use ability like the Nau's to keep it from being too OP.

Ah, that's a much better idea than I came up with.

Besides, by the time you get to Knights, its probably too late in the game to be founding new cities.

How do people work this? Is it worth going one city heavy science focus till Chivalry and then using a Conquistador to drop down a few more cities?

I'm willing to bet that Conquistador's were made with the Terra map in mind. Send some over to the new continent to find suitable settling sites and build the new city right then and there. Find a Natural Wonder - beat everyone else to it.

lol, it's only leading by two. ;-)

I'm still for England, because Mongolia allows you to sweep a single continent, but England gives you land AND sea dominance. There is nothing more glorious than 5 SOTL with +1 range, and using them to snatch enemy capitals with a wee caravel.

You will dominate the seas for the rest of the game starting in Renaissance.

Five frigates with +1 range will take any city with a wee caravel just as good as SoTL, worst case it takes one more round of shelling. I don't really see the difference that the SoTL brings to the table as well as there are not any sticky promotions with them either.

Any of the science civs, Babylon, Maya, or Korea, will get to frigates before England and first to frigates can be the end of the game on certain maps.

For naval dominance the Dutch are better as their sea beggars will soon own all the SoTL. The Ottoman zerg can overcome the quality with unmatched quantity and also quickly capture all of your SoTL. Zulu, Assyria, or Poland taking the 3 free social policies to take left side honor, frigates will get to the range promo faster, which is what makes a frigate rush so powerful. Any civ with Statue of Zeus will do just as much damage to a city with a frigate as a SoTL.

I think that SoTL are being over rated here and longbows pale in comparison to keshiks when it comes to taking cities without taking a scatch.

Top Bottom