Putting the axe to Poland's nefarious ways: A story of late-game religious revenge

danaphanous

religious fanatic
So I love me some religion. I am always the first or second religion and culture it well. It always proves to be such a boon later game when I've spread it into the vast AI world.

This past game my capital started, literally, 7 squares from POLAND's capital! You see where this is going. THis was my first BNW game and I must say...Poland is ridiculous. I've seen enough hate threads (even from players who don't care about religion) to know I'm not alone in thinking this. I started next to them and got a late religion (4th I think). they got the first. I went my standard route but ended up so close to getting the GL that I got distracted while finishing it. SHouldn't have taken my eye off the ball. Luckily I got the nice pantheon for silver and gold having 4 sources near me...still, before I could even produce my first missionary Poland had enhanced his religion, finished the Piety tree (some freaking way), and claimed nice reformation beliefs. What should he choose at all these stages? Oh...you know...just EVERYTHING I usually pick. GRRRR. Stole every religious building and I was missing those Pagodas!
Oh...did I mention? He also converted every city but my capital. I saw I new missionary every 3 turns it seemed like. And 3 in one turn (He was no where near Borabadur so I have no idea how the freak was doing this)

I don't like to lose religion and got mad. Unfortunately for him I got ahead in science by claiming the Great Library (why I was behind on religion). What was my choice? Free Philosophy! Got the Oracle and Parthenon and Entered the Renaissance 20 turns before everyone, locking down every single religious wonder but Mosque of Jenne. (Seriously, Piety was not worth it after he blazed through it first). The two great prophets and Borobadur spam put a stop to his religious warmongering for good. In 10 turns he shot down from a promising and rampant stake in 14 cities to 8...then 7, then, 6, finally all that was left was his original 4 and I kept it that way for the rest of the game. Goes to show every thread out here about if you don't start religion early yours sucks is wrong. Seriously though, despite this poland was spamming missionaries through my territory all game. I started 2 wars and he lost 2 cities lost in tribute as punishment. I took great joy in using his captured great prophet intended for my capital and in promptly deleting three missionaries after DoW. He wised up and stopped using them on my cities the rest of the game. I've actually never seen an AI act so reasonably, avoiding my cities like the plague and only going for colonies near me. Smart man. ;) I used his nice religious perks to buy religious buildings on my borders too before I converted them to mine.

Even after all this had the audacity to suggest catholocism as the world religion with it's 4-city following. Everyone in the entire world shot it down. He promptly flew into a rage and pledged I would be punished...I guess cuz I contributed to most votes. I have never seen this civ act reasonably.

Well, anyone else managed to defeat Poland as a religious neighbor? Or does anyone else rejoice at the irony of my game? I am proud of my salvaged religion and of shoving Poland's religious garbage back into his face. Grabbed tithe and owned 1/2 of the world's population by the end of the game! Cultural victory. After Parthenon it just kinda followed. I probably could've pushed my religion through congress, but the international games was just too tempting... :)

Top Bottom